Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (y49sides)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Can any one tell me why MC did not put Skags on the X30 or X45?
Please correct me if I wrong, skags help the steer performance right? I have driven both of these boats and they do not seem to respond to turning as well as a boat with skags.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-08-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
MC invented tracking fins as a way to keep a ski boat going straight down a slalom course when under load from a skier. The fins are simply to create less center line deviation.

The X-30 and X-45 have a modifed deep V hull to make they ride smoother in rough water. The V tends to cause more body roll in a turn, I think this is the difference you are feeling as boats with less deadrise tend to stay more "flat" in a turn.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-08-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
The new X2's also don't have Skags. Not really sure why - the salesguy that took me out in one couldn't give me a reason that I liked.

I agree they were no where near as good handling as the Skagged boats.

The Malibu handled the best of the boats I have driven and they have the largest Skags, although only 2 of them now...

Edited: They were made for skiers, but boarders are pulling pretty hard too.

(Message edited by lifetimewarranty on January 08, 2010)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Maybe they knew you'd have to run a ton of weight to get a good wake and were thinking the buried ass end would keep it in straight line!!

I should know, I own an MC!
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-08-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
They cost money and would add to much value to make sense, or the boats would need a lot more to improve their performance than a couple tracking fins.

Sorry had to flame MC, but their performance is one of my biggest pet pieves and think it's distroying a long history of boats known for their performance.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-08-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
What in the hell is a Skag? In the past they used skegs in their boats when they were flat bottom boats that wouldn't track or steer worth a crap. Like Corey said they have more of a modified V with Strakes that help the boat track and turn. A 24 foot boat isn't going to handle like a 19' prostar no matter what you do.

I am not sure how they compare in handling to current boats with skegs. Matt might know first hand. He might have sold many a Malibu because it outperformed a Mastercraft.

(Message edited by polarbill on January 08, 2010)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Bakes marine!!! EWWWW! Bashing other boats just makes me want malibu, let me tell ya...

Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-08-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
One of the main reasons is aqua dynamics the deeper the v the more solid water is running buy the fins. Two things happen on it sets up a vibration and disturbes the water going to the prop. This has alot to do with going from a deeper v to almost flat. The second when you turn a boat that wants to lean(deeper v) and try leveling it out. It doesnt like it very well. Look under a Centurion the fins looks like swiss chees. They had big problems a few years ago. The v is doing the work of the fins. They have also looked at the familys using them and tried to soften them up. Power slide your wife and kids in the floor and see where you sleep.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-08-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
I thought we aren't supposed to be doing power turns in our boats, right?
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-08-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Sounds good still see them though. Wanted to shoot a few people over them to.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-09-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
Matt, you sir are a joke. Is that really how you sell Malibu's at Bakes Marine?}
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-09-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
i thought on a wake boat main function of the fin was to reduce side to side roll when under load from a rider
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-09-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Tracking fins are designed for that, Harold. For some reason, I felt that the new X2 was nowhere near the sportscar as the Malibu, and even though they are completely different hulls, the main difference I felt was the lack of fins on the MC.

Like others have said here, the handling difference is probably due to the deeper V on the MC ... ?

Keep in mind, I've only been on the X2 for about 30 minutes, so don't hate - I think the X2 is one of the sexiest boats out there. Just a first impression. The dealer that took us out was a sissy also, and the Malibu dealer was an animal. We were powerturning all over the place (we had the lake to ourselves). And the Malibu was SO fun that day.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-09-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
With all the extra weight people run in their boats these days I think tracking fins are critical. I agree with the fact that not having them can affect the performance of the boat, but I also agree that some first timers may not know, or need the performance difference. With that being said, I always point out the fact that MC doesn't use tracking fins on all of there models if I am going against them. To some people it is a big deal, to others it is not. I have sold both MC and BU and beleive that the BU is a better handling boat.