Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-05-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
is there anything we can be doing to improve our surfing without being on the water?
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-05-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
Indo board for sure
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-05-2011, 9:26 PM Reply   
other boardsports (skate, snow)?
Old    Nick911            11-05-2011, 9:58 PM Reply   
I snowboard all winter. Some of the mechanics are the same compared to wakeboarding or surfing, however, I don't do it for that reason, I do it cause it's awesome!
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
I started doing plyometrics (jump training) towards the end of last season and it really seemed to help me.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       11-07-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
i second the endo board. practice shuv's, body varials, grabs, 180's and 360's hell you can even do firehydrants on one. Made a hug difference in my surfing this year. I tried to get in at least 20 minutes 3 times a week.
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-08-2011, 2:51 AM Reply   
Indo surf trip yew
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-09-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
What is te best Indoboard for someone 6' 180lbs?n The larger pro? or sthe smaller pro?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-10-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
@ trevor....so which indo board are you using that helps with surfing? what excerise are you doing with it?
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       11-13-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
i like the smaller endo board with the small tube. The bigger one is too hard to do shuv's on and is generally way hard to ride. Most of the tricks that you can learn on an endo board are much harder on the endo board than on a wakesurf. There is no reason to make it any harder. Another way to build confidence on the board is using different carpet under it. When i was first playing with my board i got a piece of thick carpet to ride it on. Slowed everything way down and made it easy to learn. I now use a piece of commercial style super thin carpet to practice on. Makes it a little harder but still manageable. I dont recommend using it on hard surfaces like concrete or hardwoods, those are just too fast.
As far as exercises, anything that you can do on the board will help. I some times i will warm up with some squats on the board with very light weight, i will do parts of my upper body workout standing on the board. It helps to build core strenght and ballance, it also works all of the small stabalizer muscles all over you body.
Also don’t forget to ride the board crooked or sideways. These board only train one dimension of balance at a time so it wont hurt to change up the angle of the board relative to the tube every once in a while. I tend to spend a lot of time doing spinning drills on the board. Doing that helped my 360 this season because i was able to work on keeping centered and not shifting my weight around so much as i spin. Before i would put a ton of weight on my front foot as i came around and just burry the nose of the wakesurf board. Now i come around stable and my 360 looks clean

All this being said... in the end it just comes down to time. If you are not out wakesurfing or doing some other board sport this is great alternative to get some time on a board working on you balance and having fun. My best advice would be to keep you endo board out, and find ways to keep it interesting. If you put the endo board away its going to just stay in that closet and you will never pull it out. You keep it out you might hop on it for a few minutes as you walk by.

Last edited by tmill; 11-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-15-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
thanks for the write up trevor. so how do you practice spinning on it? where can i find info on the different ways to practice with it? is there a way to practice olleys?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-21-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
INDO BOARD! and maybe slack lining..Im gonna see if it will help. It is a big time balance trainer, and its kinda fun haha.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-25-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
This is what you do in the off season!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpp4ZS6tMM
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-27-2011, 6:10 AM Reply   
In addition to the Indo Board, you might also check out the Board Rock. Similar concept, but balance is more toe to heel, as opposed to side to side. Can do shove its, 180's, 360's, etc. I bought one, and like it a lot.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-27-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Bosu balance balls were made for surfers. It would be worth a try to use a piece of plywood or board (that won't pop the ball) to practice shove its on. You have to balance in all directions instead of 2 on an indo board.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-06-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
Trevor can you put up a video of the 360 on the indo board?
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       12-06-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
I have yet to stick a full 360. I think the tube that comes with them just has too much traction but I can stick 180's. The main point of spinning on an indo board is that you have to keep yourself balance and centered. The indo board will tell you if you are putting too much weight on one foot as you come around.
That being said I think I am going to go to home depot and get a piece of PVC and try to learn a 360 just so I can post it up, either that or I will be posting about how I don’t get to ride next season because I broke my leg. I think I could do it on a piece of PVC because there would be much less friction on that versus the tube that comes with the indo board
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-06-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
I made my own out of an old kick tail and traction set I had laying around. I have a 4" pipe and a 6" pipe. I can sometimes land 360's but most of the time I end up on my butt. Super fun and really helps my balance.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-06-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
lol, that's pretty cool.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       12-06-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
do you have any sort of stops on the end of the board like on an indo board. looks like that thing could be a lot of fun!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-06-2011, 5:53 PM Reply   
I prefer no stops. Makes it so you can spin it.
Old     (nxrfelix)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-30-2016, 12:26 PM Reply   
those of you who use endo boards, can you please share a little bit more detail of what you do, how you practice, how much, which board you use, etc.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-31-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
is there anything we can be doing to improve our surfing without being on the water?
Yes I rode the rip stik 2014/15 off season(full gear helmet and knee and wrist guards) . I "sprinted" it with large pump/carves instead of the little movements you see the kids doing about 100 yards and then did 4 ft circle diameter figure 8s for rest and skills, the pumping of your hips knees and ankles to get speed was really helpful to start 2015, only reason I didn't ride 2015/16 off season is I broke my femur on Flowrider 7/1/15 snd I am avoiding all hard surfaces till I'm cleared for plyometrics

The rip stick really helped and I read somewhere that it is the number one way to offseason for surfing for both technique and stamina