Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
I'm hoping in the spring to finally make the jump to a new ride and it will most likely becoming up from the US. I've been looking in to the process and just want to make sure I got it all.

Being in BC I have to pay the GST (5%) on both the boat and the trailer based on what I pay for it. The trailer is considered the vehicle in this case so I have to get an inspection on the trailer plus pay the $ 195.00 fee? So when I purchase the boat do I have to get a value of what the trailer itself cost? On the CBSA site it says it excludes trailers so I don't have to advise the US that I plan on bringing it across?

Just want to make sure I have everything covered and all additional expenses so I can see what my end of the day cost is to stay within budget.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-20-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hey man,

I have purchased all my boats in the states and imported them. Here's what you need:

1)Boat Invoice
2)Trailer Invoice
3) Trailer Recall Clearance Letter
3b) Check for Liens against the HIN#
4)Pay GST on boat and Trailer
4)Pay $195 RIV fee.
5) Send paperwork into the RIV. Do it online, it is so much quicker and easier.
6) Take RIV paperwork to any Crappy Tire..Get them to sign and stamp the paper
7)Take paperwork to insurance broker, Pay your PST and your done!

This is a very brief outline.

Make sure you get separate invoices for the trailer and boat. Make sure you keep the values fair and honest!

Try not to bring more than $10,000 over the border with you..It just gets to be a hassle. I wire the money once I've done my homework. If that's not possible. Bring ALL the documentation when you cross the border!

Give me a PM if you want any more info.

Just an FYI, if your going to stay with MB..Check out Enzos inboards in Vancouver, They are super fair with trade in and sell for approx same price as US... If your going for newer.

I imported a 97 MB Boss 190, 2008 MB B52 V23 and 2012 MB F21.

Good luck
Old     (CalaProVia)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-20-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
I bought/brought mine across into BC 4 years ago.. and have and have had several friends do it as well....

You will need the title for boat and trailer.... and a separate bill of sale for each - break out the trailer price on your paperwork - ... You'll roll up to customs and declare you are importing a boat and trailer.... The boat is simple... you pay taxes.. which I believe is 12% now (since reversion to PST -I paid HST) on the sale price after dollar conversion to CAD. Then you apply for your fed Reg numbers and that's it...

ON the trailer I paid taxes as well - also 12% on trailer price... then you apply to RIV for an import certificate... You have to make sure there are no recalls on the trailer with the manufacturer... They require an inspection to be done on the trailer - which when I did it was covered in the RIV fee.... I just went to Canadian tire for it - basic stuff... lights, confirmation of VIN - took like 5 minutes...... Mine had car tires on it so I had to change to trailer tires but that was all.... Once that is complete RIV will send you the cert n decal and you can register it.....

Fairly painless.... This was my experience 4 years ago.. but should give you an idea... Good Luck!
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-20-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
Oh,

If its far and you need to ship it. use uship.com You can get guys from all over bidding. I used a guy out of Oregon called Dbest
http://www.uship.com/profile/dbesttransport/
Cost me $800 to ship a boat from Sacramento area to Blaine, Wa. Then I met them at a gas station and took the boat over the border. It was cheaper to hire them than to drive there and back... worth it imo
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Nikolas at this point I am thinking I may stay with MB because I would like a boat that takes rough water better and puts up a good surf wave. My body isn't liking wakeboarding as much after doing it for almost 20 years so surfing is becoming more of the reg and my current DD just doesn't cut it. I do know about Enzo's. I guess it depends on what they have coming back in on trade as I will be looking for a couple year old boat. Hopefully a B52 23 and would like to be in it all said and done around $ 50-55K.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-20-2013, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Thanks guys. Nikolas at this point I am thinking I may stay with MB because I would like a boat that takes rough water better and puts up a good surf wave. My body isn't liking wakeboarding as much after doing it for almost 20 years so surfing is becoming more of the reg and my current DD just doesn't cut it. I do know about Enzo's. I guess it depends on what they have coming back in on trade as I will be looking for a couple year old boat. Hopefully a B52 23 and would like to be in it all said and done around $ 50-55K.
Stay away from the pre 2011s.. The towers were CRAP!

Our crew sticks to mostly surfing as well. Although a 23 footer would be fantastic! me and a couple guys roll in F21's. One 2012, 2013...They are both an EXCELLENT surf!

The new hulls are worth every penny! With the US exchange being ...kinda ok. After shipping and everything...Enzos made it worth it for me. in 2015, I will be purchasing a boat from them!

50-55k will get you a great boat! . Great thing about doing it locally is they will give you a very fair price for your boat and you can order custom colors, features...etc.. Seems like you keep your boat for a long time!

Give me a call if you want to chat
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-20-2013, 12:19 PM Reply   
Centurions are known for riding well in rough water. Dont be afraid to look at them and Tige as well.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
Tim, I have looked at Centurions a bit but I have just never really been a fan of them. My other contender is a Supreme 226 but they are still a bit more $ and not many used ones coming back yet. I have always loved Malibu's but an 08 would cost me the same amount as a +11 MB or similar. Plus, I have been really turned off from Performance (Our local Malibu dealer) as it seems like Craig the owner only wants to talk to people with $ 100K.

Nikolas, thanks for the heads up. I'd like to be in something 2011 and up. Again, it all comes down to the $. My family purchased our current boat used as well and we have had it since 2005 I believe. I wanted to upgrade sooner but buying a new house and cars had to be done first. Plus I was able to put some of the money we got with the sale of our old house to put down on a new boat. I knew over paying my mortgage would pay off. I have no problem purchasing local, just have to wait and see what Enzo's may get back in on trade.
Old     (ajlake)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-20-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
I think all aspects of importing a boat to BC are covered above (it is an easy process provided you have all the paperwork complete). I would highly recommend that you take a trip and go see the boat you intend to purchase in person prior to bringing it back. Three years ago I picked up a Moomba from Wisconsin sight unseen and that boat turned into more work/money than fun.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-20-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
Dave
If it is in the Portland area, let me now and I can help you out by looking at it and with the paperwork... As other have said before it is easy.... Just make sure you have:
-Two titles (boat and trailer)
-Two bill of sale with values
-Letter of no recall - Just call the trailer manufacturer and they can fax or email you one. You will need to have the VIN ready.

Always a good idea to call the border crossing before you go across though and confirm.