Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-07-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
Not sure about the condition of the wood but the carpet needs to be replaced. The trailer is a 2006 so I guess its time. Anybody have suggestions on the easiest/cleanest way to do this?
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-07-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
I just ordered carpet from the boatmate website.. As soon as I get started ill let you know how it goes... Mine is a 07 and they are rotting... Guess it was a bad year for wood.. Maybe my trailer was uilt friday afternoon....
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-07-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
Give Jerry at Boatmate a call....
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-07-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Wow, your carpet and wood are only lasting a few years. That is crazy. I just sold my 1996 boat and it had the original carpet and wood. The bolts were all rusted but the wood and carpet were still in good shape.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-08-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Buy some new carpet online at Overtons. Staple the carpet to the wood bunks with monel "stainless" staples. The staples should be on the side or bottom of the bunk so they do not scratch the hull. My bet is the wood is still in good condition but if necessary replace the wood with pressure treated lumber cut to match the existing. The process is quite simple.

Check out the other components as well. Look at all the bolts. Mine rusted away and Boatmate never had them fully secured to begin with. Also check out your springs I've had two failures. Once the whole spring inverted itself and the second time I found broken leafs. The broken leafs were not clearly visible. Check the bearing seals for leaks. Make sure the oil reservoir for the brakes are full and that the brakes them self are in good condition.
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       03-08-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
I noticed Boatmate sells the carpet in 10' lengths. How much did you have to order to cover all the bunks?
Old     (97sunsetter)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-08-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
Give Jerry at Boatmate a call....
I second that. If your bunks are only lasting 3 and 4 years you should have a legitimate claim. My 97 Sunsetter has its original bunks. The wood on the fenders however is a different story
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-08-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I've replaced the bunks on my last boat. Just didn't think the carpet would already be pulling off! Guess I will call Jerry at Boatmate....he probably hates to hear from me because I've had to call him on several other issues. What other regular maintenance should I be doing other than bearing's? How do I check the break lines? Don't believe I've ever added fluid....
Old     (nukepower)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-08-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
I would also check Home Depot. That is where I found rolls of marine carpet and it was cheaper than West Marine in Charleston. I agree with the other Tim above, monel staples are the ONLY way to go.