Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-09-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
How strange are you?
We have a few strange customs on our boat. Our favorite, whenever we go under a bridge we all scream wildly as the driver honks the horn. As custom dictates even the rider must participate in this ritual - screaming mid-jump if necessary. I don’t know anyone else who does this.

Anybody else have bizarre boating behaviors?
Old    scoot            07-09-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
Scaring the hell outta any 1st timers with snake and gator stories. Its halariouse! Especially when they jump in and they're waiting to get up and you say "Watch out!!!!!!! There's a gator that just went under behind you" and then "Awwww damn! the motor wont start!" You should see them swim like hell back to the boat or the shore. Any of you guys with gators in yalls water try it sometime.

Scott
Old    wakelvr            07-09-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
When I ride switch, I tend to scream (out of control scream) all the way up and down Victoria Slough! It's not on purpose though... It's a "holy crap, help me" scream...

I love this sport.
Old    wakelvr            07-09-2003, 9:46 PM Reply   
This is Tim. He insists on wearing his orange vest....

Forrest thinks he can run on water... run forrest run!
Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       07-09-2003, 10:38 PM Reply   
Stefani, you ride switch?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-09-2003, 10:41 PM Reply   
My daughters always seem to be inquiring about the "fresh water" sharks and where were they last seen...........

Response: "dunt dunt" "dunt dunt"
"I think I just saw a giant dorsal fin sweetie, better land all of those jumps today"

And Stef, you thought were loud on water? My twin groms give a new meaning to the phrase: tone deaf.....

It is amazing how much their boarding has improved though......
Old    ridehyco            07-09-2003, 11:00 PM Reply   
We give the customary "pass of shame." If who ever is riding does something boneheaded or lets go of the rope for some silly reason, we plow past them at half plane and smack them with huge rollers all the while covering our eyes and lookin in the the other direction.

That and we each have our own way of falling off the platform to start our run.

H
Old    wakelvr            07-09-2003, 11:11 PM Reply   
Ryan:-) That's funny! We have sharks too. But they don't keep me from falling! On Sunday I practiced riding switch most of the time. I also did my first Half Cab HS 180. (one wake of course). And.... I didn't really land it, but was close. But yes, I screamed the entire time:-) It's a great sense of release when you are out of control like that...

Hunt: Falling off the platform? Is that what you are doing in your profile pic?
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-09-2003, 11:35 PM Reply   
Hunt, I love your pass of shame.
re: your profile pic, it would be at this point when we all scream "European".

I'd love so see a video of your platform dis-mounts.
Maybe I'll make one of ours.
We got 180s and 360s, basic jumps, fashion airs, slides, butt hops, and the -ever so elegant- bend over face first splat.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-09-2003, 11:54 PM Reply   
Strange custom, dropping off the side of the wake slashing at it like a surfboard, bending right down and splashing water from the edge of the wake over your head like your in a barrel. Every rider must do this once in their run.

The second is when you do something stupid on the wake, the boat crew sticks one hand in the air with your wrist bent (goose neck) like you have just shot a basketball. The meaning of this symbol is the old saying "You don't need a long neck to be a goose!"

So many more to mention...
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-10-2003, 12:13 AM Reply   
Almost forgot, we enjoy reciting movie lines while down in the water, or in the boat cruising....

My favorite one would have to be when I slip in off the platform and begin backstroking to the handle while quoting Lt Dan from a rather familiar Tom Hanks flick:

"I never thanked you for saving my life Forrest"

My wife's favorite would have to be: "This was no boating accident............." Kind of helps keep the whole shark theme going!

Also, when we have someone new on the boat and we encounter some rollers I like to make some unweary comment like: "whoa, it's never done this before"

Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-10-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
Scott B- Second the snake stories. Back in college my buddies took this to the extreme. They had this blond so scared by telling her there were like 100,000 water mockasins in the lake and they attack if you spend too much time in the water. They gave her an orange vest like Tim above. They played the "the boat won't start" game. She gave it two very unsuccessful attempts before she was terrified. Then they said one was right behind her. She came out of that board so fast, hit the platform and launched onto the engine cover. In the process, she got a small cut in her foot. They said it looked just like a snake bite, and that you had to suck out the venom! They sure as hell weren't going to do it so she ended up reaching down and sucking her own foot. Sounds far fetched, and I wouldn't have belived it but they got it all on tape! I talked to her at a bar a few days later, and her boyfriend was very gratefully for the guys "saving" her. We played that tape 100 times over that next few months!
Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       07-10-2003, 8:06 AM Reply   
Movie lines are a must, but I tend to stick with things like "They look like big, strong hands, don't they?" from the Neverending Story...(every time I throw the freaking handle...)

I'm very strange, however, I don't know if it shows up in my riding as much as just being around me OK...maybe my riding too...

Stef, I don't know if you screamed more than I did when I was first riding switch...I was pretty much forced to learn it! you're just doing it to be a better rider! I started going to the cable park, which is set up for right foot forward people to do heelside cuts around the corner. SO...left footers like me had to do toeside cuts around the corners, and I wasnt' good enough to cut that hard toeside, so I was forced to learn to ride switch. Since it was the place I rode the most, I did a lot of that. Made for a lot of swimming back in those days :-)

Florida is also great for the alligator stories. I actually hit one with my wakeboard once... that kept a lot of people off the water though, the delta sharks have some work to do!
Old    damnation            07-10-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have this strange habit of throwing the boat in reverse when someone is peeing off the bow.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-10-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
For the love of God mate, not reverse!!!!

I guess their would be something humbling about swimming in your own pee though!
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-10-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
I usually pee in my shorts while I am standing on the swim deck getting ready to ride and in the winter I pee in my wetsuit to warm myself up before getting in the water and then usually every 5 minutes after entering the water.
Old    sdorovi            07-10-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
I like peeing too especially in the spring it defiantely warms you up. I rode Don Pedro in march and it was so cold I was in my spring suit and almost had trouble thought he went numb.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-10-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
you got a small bladder poon........
Old    bassboy8855            07-10-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
I only have one thing I do everytime I go out, and every trick I throw, when I come down to land... well, thats the thing, I don't. Everyone in the boat thinks its the funniest thing, because I make the crash look so realistic!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Good stuff, people! lol

If someone lands something new for them in the run, they get a honk of the air horn and when they get on the platform after their run, with a big grin no doubt, driver gooses it and back in the water they go.
Also, since all the tubers on the lake insist on continuous 'wooo-hoooo's' during their intense tubing runs, we do the same when wakesurfing. But you have to point at the wake and woooo-hoooo simoultaneously at least once in your wakesurf run.....
Old    wakelvr            07-10-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
I'm so glad there are still people out there with a good sense of humor. My biggest thing lately is to try and embarrass my friends with dorky music. Latest is Flashdance theme, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and when guys ride, I've been know to throw on a little Brittney or ABBA. It's all in good fun though:-) I also listen to the latest and the greatest so I'm not a complete dork.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-10-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
I get up at 4:30am, idle over to my buds so that we are all ready at sun up. My wife thinks I'm toasted.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-10-2003, 3:30 PM Reply   
Any riding before 9:00 am is signified by me jumping on someones bed with this sly @ss grin on my face and "DUDE, LETS GO BOARDING!!" Oh and I guess I could add that the gf gets mad at me at least once a weekend, usually something about speed control... anyone else know what that is apparently I don't!
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
Stef,
We're with ya on the music thing. This last weekend, during a surf session I busted out the Hawaii-50 theme, my rider nearly fell off the board laughing. Certainly, there are times we pump the rock & hiphop but then there are other times when we break out King Tut or the Hamster Dance (rave mix of course). I just can't be so serious as to drive around all day with my pimp face on. Boating is a party for us, so we try our best to lighten up and have a blast.
Old    nephilim            07-10-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
whenever we go by another boat of peopel we give them the good ol fashion air
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2003, 5:40 PM Reply   
We have a few traditions the first being if the rider finally lands some big trick they have been working on the driver brings the boat by shuts down the motor and everyone dives in on top of him.

The second is kind of complicated but while in Havasu last summer at the bar in the morning having breakfast and Bloody Mary's we saw a program on ESPN about elaborate baseball player hand shakes so we came up with one of our own. bear with me you slap palms then back of hands, grab stalefish, then grab you beer mug shake it up, drink it down and then bang elbows in a sign of manliness.
Old    ridehyco            07-10-2003, 7:55 PM Reply   
Stefani:

WE always try to pllay Suzanne Vega - My name is Luca or Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Bus for our friend Junior. Really really cheezy songs. Maybe some Ween - Push the Daisies is in order. :-)

H
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-10-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
i am strange

gfjhfgg
Old    vip20882000            07-10-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
That music one- lmfao, if i owned the boat i would do that unfortunatly (s/p) i dont:-( but not many ppl would hear the music anyways.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-10-2003, 10:34 PM Reply   
Also, sometimes when I ride, I like to think about Krispy Kremes..... they always take me to a "happy place".......
Old    wakelvr            07-10-2003, 11:16 PM Reply   
We need to get a list of cheezy songs going I think....

Double Dutch Bus.... OMG!!! That is so funny! I forgot about that song. Thank you SO MUCH for the idea! bahahahhahahhahahha!

Greg: Let's get together soon and ride. I think our families will get along great. And after all, we are like 3 blocks from each other!!! Hello????
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2003, 11:30 PM Reply   
Save me some 80's music, 'cause I'm an 80's music FREAK! You will always find some on my boat. Bow Wow Wow, The Clash, Marley, Ramones, Duran Duran, Men at Work. It's madness I tell ya. (get it! ..Madness.. yuk yuk yuk)
Old    wakelvr            07-10-2003, 11:38 PM Reply   
Okay, just downloaded Double Dutch Bus... Who can top that? That's pretty darn hard to top....

Anyone?

Gregg: When is your birthday? I am making you a CD. But it will be a surprise.... no hints...

Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2003, 11:55 PM Reply   
Aug 2. Better hurry.
I don't yet have Double Duch but we did play Pass The Duchie this past weekend. Not really as obscure cause it was recently featured in the Scoobie Do movie. But, Steve Martin's King Tut has to be up there.
When is your birthday girly?
This is getting fun.

Another of our traditions, rider picks their own music to ride to. My kids love this ('cause driver picks in the car - and they don't drive) If they don't tell me what they want to hear...DJs choice, then watch out!!!

What's the scoop on the bbq for mooch? Is it gonna happen? His visit is only 2 weeks away.
Old    wakelvr            07-11-2003, 12:00 AM Reply   
December:-) I'll be 29 again (third year in a row)

Is it July already? CRAP!!
Old    leggester            07-11-2003, 6:29 AM Reply   
I'm not real strange, but I work with quite a few strange people.

e.g.

The fella in his 20s that has few teeth left and most of them grey stumps. Takes vacation days for the Star Trek Conventions and SciFi movie premiers.

The crazy Russian lady that never has time to get things done, but only works 4 hours a day.

The fella that bought 5 acres to live on, but won't go outside and cut his front yard at all.

Many, many more.

I feel so normal, comparatively. ;)
Old    mikebailey            07-11-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
I flush the Toilet before I have finished peeing... then I have to wait and flush it again...dont know why I do it...

is that a bit too much info ?

and maybe a little off topic too .... mmmm
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
This is a great thread!!!

Stefani, the 80s music is classic, every so often we bust out the Barry Manilow, Copa Cabana LOL It does sound nice pumping through the subs though LOL not 80s, but 70s disco is the bomb, especially that cheesy song.....

Also whenever we launch the boat and pull away from the dock, we play Beastie Boys, Slow Ride.

Dah Dah Dah Dah Dah Dah Dah... Dah Dah Dah.. Dah Dah......

Get that low rider feeling going, all we need is fuzzy dice. A wakeboard boat fully weighted kinda resembles a low rider anyway. That tradition goes back to my last boat 6 years ago, and also sounds great on the system.
Old    lake_bum            08-02-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
THE CHEESY MUSIC IS THE BEST PART, LIKE "YMCA" "VANILLA ICE" WE LIKE TO GET PRETTY WILD IN THE BOAT. OF COURSE GET THE WOMEN 2 DANCE ON THE BACK 2 SOME RAP TAKES THE CAKE, EVEN THOUGH I DONT LIKE RAP. ALSO U GOTTA LOVE A GOOD HAT SELECTION TO WEAR WHILE RIDDING IT SURE DOSE GET SOME LOOKS
Old    tpalmeri            08-02-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
although not eighties, a song that would throw me off if I heard it would be the Celine Dion song from Titanic, or if you can get your hands on it stuff from School House Rocks or Toni Basil's "hey mickey". And for those who recite movie lines (which is an awsome idea) if you land a new trick you could say " Lt. Dan, you have magic legs"?
Just a little something to add to a great thread
Old    gokings10            08-03-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Hey yall...well when my dad used to have a his girlfriends in the boat when he was a teenager....it would be him and like 4 girlz...and he would b driving at about 25 or so and then jump out of the boat while it is still going...and then all the girls would scream and he i asked him "well wat did they do??" then he said "well hopefully they had the brains to take the wheel and go and pik me up" haha i thought that was a good one
Old    upupnaway            08-03-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
When all of the boys are out riding, any wakeskate run must be done with the "thinking cap"(skate helmet) on their head. Before going in the water, we must make up and announce a "trick" that we are going to do while on the water.
such as the spinning double handed a$$ grab, the carp wheel, and the ever popular procto-glide.
Old    adkelley            08-04-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
This thread just made my day. I like to gas it to throw people in the water after a good run or when whiney people say the water is cold and get in slow in the morning we like to push them in or throw some ice from the cooler down their pants. Usually both
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
Stef - You made me crash once by switching up the good music and playing Flashdance. I cut out for my jump, heard the tune, said "What the???", threw the handle and ended up on my face!!

Funny stuff.
Old    jakeman            08-04-2003, 4:12 PM Reply   
we try to token new words when we r ready to be pulled up

SKIIII
NIZZLE
in a high pitched voice

go under bridges where people r fishing-run over their line and then start yelling @ them-like it was their fault

try to throw rollers @ kneeboarders to make them wreck

make fun of water skiers

try to launch off the back of the boat w/ the wakeskate and rope in hand -never works

wakeboard in the intercoastal interstate w/ lots of boat traffic and jump their rollers-that is scary

last but not least

do it all - = "WASTED" = -

late/jake
Old    jakeman            08-04-2003, 4:12 PM Reply   
we try to token new words when we r ready to be pulled up

SKIIII
NIZZLE
in a high pitched voice

go under bridges where people r fishing-run over their line and then start yelling @ them-like it was their fault

try to throw rollers @ kneeboarders to make them wreck

make fun of water skiers

try to launch off the back of the boat w/ the wakeskate and rope in hand -never works

wakeboard in the intercoastal interstate w/ lots of boat traffic and jump their rollers-that is scary

last but not least

do it all - = "WASTED" = -

check out the videos

www.420PRODUCTION.com

late/jake
Old    steve2237            08-04-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
AND you do it all wasted??? wow, jakeman your the coolest. i think i have a new idol now...
Old    jakeman            08-07-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
Steve

"Your my boy Blue"
Old    erlingl            08-07-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
I see blue and he is glorious
Old    erlingl            08-07-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
earmuffs
Old    jakeman            08-07-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
"bring your green hat"

"you think I enjoy avoiding my wife and kids to hang out w/ 19 year old girls"

check out the "Ya...And?" wakeboard video
at

www.420PRODUCTION.com

Angi's quote is classic
-in middle of video-

Old    wakejunkeygirl            08-07-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
Steve ZZZZZZZZ..zip it.
*sarcasm not needed here*

Erling...Your quote is the best..Will RULES!
'Do you wanna live in a VAN, down by the river??'