Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
I am going down to Dale Hollow this weekend to pick-up my boat after having some warranty work performed. I plan on putting in Sat. morning to test her out. Where is the wake scene on Dale Hollow? I will be using Sunset Marina.
Old    indywakechica            05-12-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
It's wakeboard heaven! We always get a houseboat for a week down there. You can always find a cove for butta except maybe the major holidays.
Old    deiselgrover            05-13-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
You are on the south east fork of the lake. Ive never been down that far. We usually stay more on the north side and the west end. We usually put out of Wisdom. I am sure you will find butter just about anywhere. It is chalk full of coves. You can usually find a good cove and go up and down all day long and have glass. Main lake gets choppy, but with all the branches and fingers you can find something I garuntee! I linked a map below. My favorite coves are Long Branch, Lick Run, Galtons Hallow, Poor Branch, Natty Branch, and Fanny's Creek. Those are all on the north side of the Lake and towards the west end. What little I have gone down that fork of the lake its a little muddier than the rest. But Im sure you will have a great time! Put a rip in for me, and tell her I'll see her later this summer!

http://www.dalehollow.org/Dale_Hollow/maps/public_use_guide_front.htm
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
Hi, we're driving up from outside of San Antonio this summer, towing our Ski Nautique 2001, she's loaded with 1500lbs of ballast. (Yes, will trailer empty)Hate to see our gas bill...Anyhow, this will be our 2nd trip to Dale Hollow, first with our boat. We will set in at Wisom Dock, getting a couple of houseboats, two large families. I want to know if there are "dry" and "legal" sides (liquor)of Dale Hollow. I had heard there were. Also, is there a "night life" on the lake. Close to the Wisdom Dock area. ie: Marina Bars, etc.? My sis in Ohio has friends that frequent Dale Hollow and rent from Wisdom Dock, they have told her there are places you can drive your boat up to and party/nightlife.
We will be with folks that are under the impression there is only a couple of places you anchor the houseboat at, so I'd like to get a good feel of the area before hand so we "younger ones" can escape to, instead of turning to pumkins at night. Lol ya know what I mean?

(Message edited by Wakeboysmom on May 25, 2004)
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2004, 5:30 AM Reply   
Hey Tony and Denise, you are in for a great time at Dale Hollow, you sure are driving an awful long way though Denise, but you won't be disappointed.

To address your question first Tony, you will not have a problem finding butta anywhere, even on busy holiday weekends. Dale Hollow is a 35,000 acre lake and close to half of that is in long wind protected coves/fingers. From sunset, if you go right out of the marina you head up toward the river end of the lake. There is some great water up that way between there and Eastport marina, and usually not much traffic. If you head left out of the marina, you head out toward the middle of the lake and I am certain you can find any number of long fingers with great water. I am not as familiar with the east-central areas of the lake, so I can't help you there much.

Denise, Wisdom is a nice dock and I have rented houseboats out of there before. The best place I have found to tie up a houseboat from there is the to head straight south past the Lillydale area down into Ashburn Creek. Just past the opening to the West Fork on the eastern side of the cove, there is a great inlet to tie a houseboat up in. The water is deep and clean and farther back in that east cove is butta all day long.

Dale Hollow does have some dry counties around it. Specifically the entire Kentucky side of the lake is all dry counties and you don't want to be stopped by lake ranger on the Kentucky side with open containers. Stay on the Tennesse side and the open container law doesn't apply, but rangers do regularly stop people on the boat to make sure they have all of their safety gear (you don't want to be caught with an intoxicated driver at that point). If you are wondering what safety gear is necessary, there has to be a lifevest for everyone in the boat, you need a throwable device, and a fire extinguisher. The rangers are usually pretty laid back as long as you are courteous.

As far as nightlife, I go there several times each summer and I have still have yet to find nightlife that hasn't been created by the group of friends I'm with. Besides after wakeboarding and enjoying in frothy libations all day, I am usually pretty beat by the end of the day. You won't find anything near Wisdom, being that it is a dry county and all. I always stay down at the southwestern area of the lake near the dam and there is a little country bar there that has karoake every Friday and Saturday night. We have had many a good time in there, but I would hardly classify it as nightlife. Oh yea, I strongly recommend bringing all of your own beverages. Even in Tennessee where you can buy beer, it is usually twice as much as you can get it at home. Tennessee has ridiculous alcohol taxes. Don't worry though, it is almost impossible to have a bad time at Dale Hollow.

Jb
Old    stretch            05-26-2004, 5:44 AM Reply   
Anybody who has been to Dale Hollow Lake knows that those "drive up marina bars" are a taller tale than Babe the Blue Ox. The lake is located in a very rural area in the heart of the KY-TN bible belt. If you intend to buy your alcoholic beverages locally, be prepared to pay bootlegger or (even higher) Tennessee package store prices. Also, NOOOO open containers in the Kentucky section of the lake.
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-26-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
My bad, just taked to sis in Ohio. She said her friends go to the Cumberland lake. Yea'll the last time we went in 2001 we stocked up in Tenn. I wonder what gas is going to cost. We'll come up empty but will fill her up before hitting Wisdom Dock, talking 4- 5 gallon gas carriers with us and will fill those up as well. I can only imagain the gas price ON the lake. This lake is so beautiful we are really looking forward to being there.
Old    stretch            05-26-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
Denise, I can assure you that there are absolutely no "drive up marina bars" on Lake Cumberland either. Cumberland is all in Kentucky and there are no legal sales of alcoholic beverages in ANY of the counties surrounding the lake with this one exception following last Tuesday's local option election in the Burnside community:

"After failing the same measure by just 8 votes three years ago, voters in the small community of Burnside (population in 2000: 637) voted in Tuesday's election to allow the sale of alcoholic beverages in larger restaurants.

Passing by a vote of 217 to 172, the result will mean that restaurants with seating capacity of at least 100, and deriving 70% of their income from food sales can serve alcoholic beverages. This is the same measure that recently passed and has been implemented in the larger neighboring cities of Danville and Corbin.

With 389 total votes, it is evident that nearly all persons residing in the city precinct cast a ballot.

It is widely anticipated that a major restaurant will soon be located in the community. Burnside is the only town located directly on Lake Cumberland, and the only location within a 30 minute drive of anyplace on the lake where alcohol in any form can be purchased."

Denise, there is presently only one restaurant in Burnside (the Seven Gables Motel's restaurant) large enough to meet the seating capacity and food service guidelines. I expect that there will be new restaurants in the future but they are at least a year away. Otherwise, as the article says, no alcohol in any form can be purchased legally anywhere within a 30-minute drive of Lake Cumberland.

(Message edited by stretch on May 26, 2004)
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-27-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
Thanks Stretch and Josh. I can't help but laugh. After re-reading the post I must come across like an "alcholic", that's certainly not the case, was just trying to find something for the 20-47 year olds in our family to do after the sun sets.
Old    r_dub            05-27-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
I got an idea for what you can do Denise. How about shots of Jim Beam over a campfire? haha, you alcoholic you. Just kidding.
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-27-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
Yuk!!! I can feel it coming up now...I'll take Jose Cuervo (sp) with me...heehee.
Ryan: If yer not careful I'll stop in Cincy late in August on my way to Springfield and make you drink with me. (I'm from Springfield, I'm driving up for a wedding).

(Message edited by wakeboysmom on May 27, 2004)
Old    r_dub            05-28-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
Sure, I'll take that challenge. I can hang with the Cuervo!