Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (awakeat816)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-14-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Just curious if anyone knows where the best place to wakeboard, snowboard, and surf is all in reasonable distance from each other. Nor Cal? Oregon? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-14-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Norcal,
Surfing- they have the mavericks here.
Wakeboarding- the delta
Snowboarding- Lake tahoe ( lots of resorts & terrain to choose from)

pretty clear and all within a few hour drive.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-14-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
Yep, the Bay Area. Close to the coast, the delta, and 3 hours from tahoe.
Old     (spjc)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-14-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
I would have to agree with J-Rod. The delta butter and tahoe freshies are ridiculous.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-14-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Thats why the bay area is the best place on earth.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-14-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
i've lived elsewhere and this is by far and away the best place if you like "extreme sports"..
Old    mendo247            02-14-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Another option

Norcal
Lake Shasta, Mt Shasta, 3 hrs to the Surf
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
You can do it all in style in Hawaii

Snow falls during winter months, though the ski season can run from November through July, and the snow can accumulate to a few meters depth. February and March are the best bets for good snow. This has been called the finest snow in the world, and there is a ski-able area of almost 100 square miles.

At the summit, you have an incomparable, unforgettable 360 degree view - Mauna Kea's moonscape terrain, the lush tropical vegetation below, and the surrounding ocean. As an extra, in the distance you see Maui's Haleakala crater.
Old     (awakeat816)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-14-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
What are the seasons like in Shasta?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-14-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
i wouldn't just suggest to go surf Mavericks....
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-14-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Gotta go with WA.
1. Whistler 4 hours away.
2. Uncrowded waves and no sharks.
3. Radar Lake.

Nor Cal would be my second choice.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-14-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
I'd have to say WA.
Snow ::
Mt. Baker
and many other killer resorts. Plus we've had record breaking snow fall the last couple of years.
Wake::
Radar Lake
Columbia River, endless butter
Koppert Lake
Surf::
Westport, and there are other great spots like
La Push up and down the coast.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-14-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
Whats the deal with radar lake?
i've only been exposed to it through hyperlite. do you hire the lake out, is there more than one lake. who owns it etc...?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
Unless you ride for Ronex or know Paul or Herb, most likely not seshing Radar.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-14-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Bay Area, Nor Cal. Like they said above, you have the Delta, Santa Cruz/Monterey/Half Moon Bay, and Tahoe is just hours away.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-14-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
Radar owned by Ronix (Herb O'Brien). Private lake. I have had the pleasure of riding it once and it was an experience.
Old    dabigkahuna            02-14-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Snow in Hawaii, yes we have snow! (as seen from the cockpit of the Boeing 737 I was flying at 18 thousand feet)
Upload

(Message edited by dabigkahuna on February 14, 2008)
Old    dabigkahuna            02-14-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Surfing...do I really need to post a picture? O.K., here's a picture of a secret island surf spot (look past the KTM Dirt Bike) that has SICK rights!! (oh yea, we have world class dirt bike riding trails as well).
Upload
Old    dabigkahuna            02-14-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
And yes, we have wakeboarding...
Upload

Check out our ski club's website for more details...

http://www.oahuwaterskiclub.com/1.html

Living in Paradise is a tough job, but someones got to do it!

(Message edited by dabigkahuna on February 14, 2008)
Old    dabigkahuna            02-14-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
...and girls...
Upload
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-14-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
no offense but shasta for snowboarding? Tahoes smallest resort is twice as big as shasta. I would definitely hit it up..... after i hit the real spots in tahoe. even if your comparing backcountry shasta has a few spots tahoe has hundreds. And come on the delta can you even compare it with any lake after 11 am on the lake?

Wa state is cool but can you realistically claim you can wakeboard in the winter?? Last time i was in bellingahm baker had tons of snow and lake whatcom was nearly frozen over. As far a the snow goes ore and wa are just as nice but cant provide the same triple threat
You would miss a lot if you opted for anything but the bay area. I wakeboarded sunday on delta butter and rode steeps and chutes monday at kirkwood
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-15-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
So. Cal.

Surf- Tresles. One of the best waves PERIOD!

Skate- Etnies Skate Park or Vans Skate Park

Snow- Bear. Yeah it's crowded, but the best Park in USA

Wake- Plenty of local lakes, Carlsbad Lagoon, or Long Beach Stadium.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-15-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
either way...it is the WEST COAST for sure!!
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-15-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
Soli--F.U--

We may have great parks down here, but none of it compares to Kirkwood. By far my favorite mountain in Tahoe and one of the best in the states. I was up in Jan, and it was as good as ever. Seriously GREAT season so far....
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-15-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
id have to say lubbock bc we are only about 3 hrs from a tree, 11 hrs from surf, 5 hrs from snow and we have this little pond thingy that we put boats in. And as if it couldnt get any better, the wind/dirt blows about 15--20 on an average day! Id say Lubbock would be the best choice!
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-15-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
but i guess after all that we still have the hottest girls out of anywhere!
Old    mendo247            02-15-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Yeah MT. Shasta is small but i like it. As my post stated its just "Another option" Ive never said Shasta is better than Tahoe lol. The back country at Shasta can be unreal if you know where you going. Personally I would much rather ride a buttery, clean and scenic Lake Shasta than the Delta. It would be cool to do all three in one day for sure. Most of the options youd be rushed to get them all in with the 3 hr drives.
Old    mendo247            02-15-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Bigkahuna, pretty close to that mountain top huh! Definetly a cool pic.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-15-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Shasta has a hell of a lot less brain dead out-of-towner touristy types that tend to find their way to some of the larger Tahoe resorts.
Old    mendo247            02-15-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
EXACTLY! lol plus I bet I could do 5 Mt. Shasta trips for one Tahoe.
Old    K.B.C.            02-15-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
if you stay away from the resorts on the weekends you bypass those types, but there sure will be a whole hell of a lot of them up this weekend
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
i'm going to have to represent for the central cali(the valley). here in fresno you've got a ton of lakes within an hour drive. an hour up the mountain you've got sierra summit. 2 hours west and your at the beach. o and if your into moto cross you've got tracks and places to trial ride all over the place.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-15-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
dude so cal is cool but bear...... isnt that really nor cal seeing as how i could get there faster than kirkwood or tahoe and is like 7 miles south of kirkwood and what maybe 50 south of tahoe if that. Its def not so cal.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Kahuna.

Not only do we have the best surf and wakeboarding location, you can ride in shorts year round...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   

quote:

By Dan (freshtracks) on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:29 am:

So. Cal.

Surf- Tresles. One of the best waves PERIOD!

Skate- Etnies Skate Park or Vans Skate Park

Snow- Bear. Yeah it's crowded, but the best Park in USA

Wake- Plenty of local lakes, Carlsbad Lagoon, or Long Beach Stadium.

can't agree with you re: wake here in socal. norcal has 100x more (and bigger) lakes and of course, the delta.

quote:

By Ryan Siebring (lostkgb78) on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:10 pm:

I have to agree with Kahuna.

Not only do we have the best surf and wakeboarding location, you can ride in shorts year round...

but you're stuck on an island.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-16-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
Michigan
wake : 11000 lakes
snow :`25 resorts...nothing big, but you can have a good time
surf : you can surf lake michigan
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-16-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
I love how people are saying they're like 11 hours from the mountains, and in canada

dude, delta area all the way around, relativly long season (april-october), 1 hour from the beach (reccomend a full suit though), 3 hours from tahoe with some of the best runs in the world, and how can you forget the delta ? 1,000 miles of waterways where your garunteed to find butter somewhere any day of the year, and a pretty kickass community.

Nor Cal > So Cal
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
11000 frozen lakes? sounds awesome.

NORCAL
so many wake spots

Delta=butter
Sacto river = butter
Red bluff= awesome
Bullards bar= featured on the butter effect
Lake Mclure= awesome and you might see schweene
tearin it up
Berryessa= gigantic lake
Folsom= [is it still there?]often warm

Snow

Boreal
Sugar bowl
Heavenly
Squaw
and alot more im sure im forgetting

Surf

Mavericks= legendary

and that's all I have to say about that.}
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
People are always talking about Mavs and suggesting it as a Norcal surf destination, but (as has already been pointed out), any surfer on this site, or most any surfer period has no business at Mavs and never will. There is a reason the TV news stations show up when it is breaking, which is almost never. A "legendary" surf destination actually ammenable to the normal Joe would be Santa Cruz. That said, there is a wealth of spots all up and down the coast, from Bolinas down to Capitola and beyond. Agree Kirkwood is one of the best snow spots in Tahoe (I get my pass there yearly), but not sure it is on the same level with Utah, CO or Whistler, but the overall point is well taken.

Only place I know where, in winter, you could have a solid day each of world class surf, snow and wake all in 3 days consecutively. You could actually do any two of those sports in the same day, but you would have to hustle, which IMO would defeat the purpose.

Hawa'ii sounds nice, though. Trunks in winter is always sweet, but not sure about the frequency and consistency of the snow?
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-17-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I agree with the Norcal sentiment, I do agree with dococ, mavs is too scary, but Santa Cruz is just right. Especially for the average joe like me.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-17-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Santa Cruz is a lot like the Delta as far as surfing goes, it's just consistently very good.
Old    59yroldkid            02-17-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Speaking of Michigan, and other northern states, it seems like you could pull a snowboarder behind a snow machine on one of those frozen lakes. Does anybody do that?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-17-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
As dococ points out, to come to Santa Cruz to surf Mavericks is ridiculous, we'd heard about that place back in the 70's however when a north is working that big there are so many spots in town that can handle a swell like Natural Bridges, John St. and the Lane that nobody felt like driving up there. (let alone trying to ride it because it is so dangerous if you get caught inside).

They all talk now like Mav's is some mythical deal just recently discovered, the truth is that whole stretch of coastline between the west end of town and SF is littered with spots that given the right swell and weather are unbelievable.

In spite of Maverick's notoriety it's really not representative of what Santa Cruz surfing is all about which is consistency.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-18-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
Soli-Bear is So. Cal. I live in OC and it take me less than 2 hrs to get to the slopes. I think peeps are gettin away from the point of the thread.Yeah, there is going to be one place that is better than another, but having multiple good options is what its all about.
Now if you bring the girls in the mix, it's all over. SO. CAL all the way. Don't believe, head down to Newport any weekend. They may be bi#%*es, but they're smokin hot!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-19-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
I snowboarded yesterday morning at Bear Mountain, drove home (Carlsbad), then loaded my board to go surf in the afternoon, but I ran out of energy so I didn't paddle out.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-20-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
If you can do with out the surfing then Utah has more outdoors stuff closer than anywhere else on earth. Ski resorts 15-20 minutes away, Utah Lake 5 minutes away, Lake Powell 4-5 hours, Moab, Sand dunes. Oh, and snowmobiling in the mountains is awesome. Here's a pic from Saturday. Upload
Old    whirlymann            02-20-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Paul, we absolutely pull people boarding with snowmobiles. A few guys and you can put together some pretty good kickers in the morning that you can hit all day. I'm in the central (i.e. flat) part of MN, so we have to improvise!
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-20-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Portland, Or has to be near the top.

Surf, with sharks 45 minutes
Wake, the River's
Snow, Mt Hood with 4 resorts 80 minutes, Mt Bachelor 3 hours.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-20-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
I think the point was to be able to do all 3 in one trip. Last i checked theres not much of a wakeboarding scene in Utah,wash or oregon. during the winter. Hood is open yr a around but isnt it a ice park in the summer?Not exactly pow turns.