Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    dmf            05-23-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any advice on good places to launch, and/or lodging up near the Delta. We've never been up there but we're driving up this coming friday for memorial day weekend.

Anyone who lives up in that area or people who've made the trip up there and have advice about the best places to launch and ride, and where to stay, that would be great... thanks!!
Old     (wcr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-23-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Orwood resort (Brentwood) off hwy 4
Old    dmf            05-23-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
Rick,

Can you tell me anything more about it? Why do you recommend it? For launching and riding or for lodging?

Thanks!
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-23-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
i would say to ride thats easy VICTORIA CHANNEL. i launch from rivers end but no lodging
Old    dmf            05-23-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
Any more info? Where is it / how to get there? Nearby highways / cities?

Thanks
Old    walt            05-23-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
http://www.orwoodresort.com/home.shtml
Old     (wcr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-23-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Walt

Orwood easy launch outside of Brentwood
and good riding
Old    dmf            05-23-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
Thanks walt.

We may or may not camp, or we may find a hotel or motel. Do you know of anything in that area as far as hotels?

Also, are there other launches close to that area (Victoria and Woodward canals) that are free or less expensive if we don't need a campsite?

Thanks!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-24-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
The closest ramp (boat timewise) to victoria is Lazy M which is right off Byron Hwy. $10 launch and about 10 second idle time. There's not much in the way of lodging anywhere near the water in the south Delta. There are some nice new motels on 580 in Livermore and I would check for stuff in Tracy. If you're coming up hwy 5 Tracy is probably the closest city with some motel choices. There used to be camping and a launch at Tracy Oasis which is probably the closest marina to Tracy and GrantLine slew is excellent if the wind is right and it's not too crowded. River's End Marina has too much idle time IMHO but is close to all this too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-24-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
I agree. Tracy would be the place to stay. Be safe. The delta is going to be a circus this weekend.
Old    jetgofish            05-24-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
There is a Hotel/Motel in Brentwood I believe it is a Holiday Inn Express a lot of the Bass tournament fisherman stay here, from what I understand it's decent. If you are looking for something bigger and swankier you would need to stay in Tracy or Livermore. Time wise depending on where you decide to launch this might be your best bet. It's about 10 minutes to Orwood and 15-20 to Lazy M. It's also near Discovery Bay.

Sounds like you guys need some one to show you around as well. If you have never been out on the Detla it's easy to get lost or turned around, be warned that the map doesn't look like what you see when you get out there. There are also unwritten rules to the Delta which I saw a few boats doing the past weekend in Victoria's.

As J-Rod mentioned the Delta will be a mad house this weekend but with the right guidance you will get around and find good water also having a safe trip!
Old    jonkdogg            05-24-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
Circus...more like speeding drunks in river rockets and boat ramp domestic disputes...on the delta you should expect to be boarded on Memorial Day weekend at any time by the Coast Guard or the Sheriff and remember they have already been watching you with high powered Marine Binoculars by the time you see them...
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-24-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/BTWEX?&

About 10 minutes from Orwood, and very clean. Also, a couple of decent restaurants and watering holes within walking distance.
Old    dmf            05-24-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Teri,

What are the unwritten rules? What did you see boat's doing last weekend?

Just curious so I don't make any enemies. I'm assuming it has something to do with taking turns or going at no wake speed and not messing up other's water? In my opinion that's an unwritten rule everywhere, but I actually haven't found ANYWHERE in california where that kind of courtesy is extended because there's just TOO MANY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!!

Also, it sounds like Victoria Canal is the place to be, but seems like it would probably be super crowded and would be a lot of waiting or traffic, so I would almost think better water or more actual good riding time could be found in less crowded places? Any advice anyone??
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       05-24-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
Lazy M is cheaper and closer but be aware that your launching basically at the end of a slough. As long as your boat reverses to the right your pretty much good. For those Nautique owners, which reverse to the left, its a little difficult with the tight surroudinds and geeting to the dock pointing in the direction out. Orwood is nice because they reconstucted their launch ramps lately so they are nice. Plus there is a resturant and facilities that make the extra drive worth while. have fun .
Old     (above_the_levee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-24-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
derek, I emailed you. don't listen to all these people. Victoria's is gonna be a sausage fest.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-24-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
derek, the unwritten rule is that for sloughs like twin sloughs and victoria slough, it's like a road...right side go one way, the left side go the other way.

and for the love of god, no powerturns.

i'd stay away from those sloughs during holiday weekends anyway. it gets way too crowded. remember, the delta is over 1000 miles of waterways.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-24-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
if your looking to ride in good water and stay away from the party side i would deffinately stick to the sacramento area of the delta. you can launch out of H&H marina. its about 5 minutes off hwy 5. cant remeber the exit off the top of my head. your gauranteed to find less crowded area out that way. only draw back is the sloughs are generally shorter. you can still find a few long ones though. i think ill be makin the treck over to that side myself.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-25-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
It's at the end of 8 mile road (which is why Jason is getting there in 5 minutes!) which is the last exit leaving Stockton going north on hwy 5.

Get to Victoria early and you can beat the crowds. My wife traditionally makes a ski run each morning this weekend at 9am from our island to the UP end just to convince herself she's still in shape. It's unusual to even see one boat at that time. If you hear any screaming it's because we sold our 01 sunsetter and now have an 05 VLX. I had to tell her the slalom wake is identical between the two boats to get her onboard with the switch. This could get ugly!

Unfortunately I've got a bad feeling that we're going to get a heavy dose of the prevailing NW wind this weekend though.
Old    jetgofish            05-25-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Derek - The unwritten rules Joe kindly (and thank you Joe) explained. This past weekend I saw several boats going the wrong direction down Victoria's.

In my opinion the Delta is not such a BAD place on holiday weekends. I've got 30 years of experience out here and yes I have seen BAD weekends, but holiday weekends if hit in the right places and the right times aren't as bad as every one has posted.

Like I said if you find some one "seasoned" on the Delta they can show you alot of good water including and other than Victoria's. It's your choice what you do, I would just like to see YOU and your crew have a good time and more importantly a SAFE time this weekend.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       05-25-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Another tip...unless you're with a local...Buy a GPS!!! If you have one with a plotter that plots your course, that is the way to go. The delta is easy to get lost on...and watch for shallow sloughs.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-25-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
Derek,
Sent you an email...let me know if you find it helpful. G-
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
I'm from sac and usually launch at garcia bend or discovery park. Any word on if disc park launch is back open. and where to go from there, north or south. first season boating on the river. any advice would be great. and I know be safe, safe, safe.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-25-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
Kev if you are launching from Discovery shoot south for about 5 or so miles just past the Tower.. there is usally some good running south of there. Last year we did have some good times up by the airport as well but you never know.
Have you ever ridden the delta? I ride with a few guys up in the Sac area and we are looking for others to ride every now and then if you are interested.
Have fun L8t..