Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have an old laptop that has a 20 GB hard drive. I have other computers that I use on regular basis but this is more of the "guest" laptop. It runs ok but here is the problem. The hard drive is partitioned and the C: drive has 6GB while the D: drive has 14 GB. Even though I am running bare bones programs, the 6 GB is basically full and I'm left with 198 MB of space left on the C: drive while the D: drive has nothing on it. The low space is causing the computer to freeze up.

How do I safely delete the partition without affecting the programs on the C: drive? I googled it but read some horror stories and different ways to do it.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-21-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
This is very easy to do with a newer operating system, but I'm guessing this machine is probably running XP.

Assuming there is nothing at all on the D drive that you care about or is in use by the system, right-click on My Computer and go to Manage, then Storage/Disk Management. You should be able to right-click on the D drive partition and delete it. You *may* be able to then right-click on your C drive partition and extend it into the unused space. If not let me know; there are numerous 3rd party utilities you can use to do that part.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yup running XP. Wife's B-school computer from the early 2000s. I was able to delete the partition drive but how do I extend the C Drive to the free space. It didn't do it automatically.

How about that drubbing Cal took yesterday? Horrible.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-21-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Ugh don't remind me.

If you right-click on the C drive partition and there is no option to extend, then you'll need to use a 3rd party util. Download the zip I'll PM you and install it and you can use that utility to extend the C drive into the free space. It will do so during a reboot. Let me know if you run into any problems or have ?s
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I right clicked.... wasn't there. I'll be looking for the PM.

Explain to me how Cal can hold the number 1 team in the nation to 15 points but absolutely get pummeled by the #6 team. Although Luck's hit on Cathouse was impressive.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-21-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
I can't explain it, but Cattouse looked like he got hit by a train lol.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-22-2010, 12:56 AM Reply   
BTW, thanks for the zip file. Got everything working