Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (USCWakeboarders)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-14-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Interested to hear how people with D-Drives have weighted their boat and how the wake has been.

PLUS can anyone comment on how weight in the front vs the back will affect the shape of the wake?

My boat: 1998 Tige 21' Closed bow with about 150lbs in the front, 300lbs in the back storage (both lead bags), and one 350lb fat sac I leave behind drivers seat. Wake is good but long and not very steep. Trying to get it taller and steeper. Getting ready to add more weight, any suggestions where I should put it and how much?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-14-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
A guy I rode with some had an 03 Malibu sportster. We would put 400 in the back where the rear seat was then 300 or so on each side of the motor then take out the front seat and fill a 750 as full as we could prob 400-500. With the wedge the wake was okay but I thought was mellow without it. It was SKETCHY to drive and you really had to pay attention. You knew you got everything right if the bow would dip just a little no matter how easy you were slowing down. Fun times on that boat for sure!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-14-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
More weight in the back=steeper wake
More weight in the bow=rampier wake

Your boat is very low profile so may be tough to put a bunch of weight in it. It is also a really, really flat hull if it is the old ski boat I am thinking of. I would try 500-750 in the back, 200-300 in the bow and if that isnt' enough add some in the middle on each side of the engine.

If you want to try jsut the weight you have move 150 pounds of lead up to the front so there is 300 up there and move the 350 and move to the where the back seat would go or laying right in front of hte rear seat.

Another good option would be to get another 350 pound sack and put one on each side of the engine but pushed towards the back of the boat, leave 150 in the rear storage and have 300 under the bow.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-14-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
I have a 03 response lx. Took a few years to dial it in and get the best possible wake out of it. I run a fatsac seat bottom in place of the rear seat (680#), a skylon fatboy on both sides of the engine (580# a piece), and another 580# sac in the bow. And the wedge is always down. I'm also running an acme 911 prop and she planes like a champ. there are some pics of my wake at the bottom of this thread.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777538
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-14-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
Old 1989 Prostar 190. We put about 300lbs of lead under the front passenger seat, off set a little to counteract the driver's weight, have two 450lb Fatsacs on each side of the engine compartment, and then an 800lb fatsac along the floor behind the engine. We usually have everybody sit in the backseat as to not throw the balance off, because with that much weight the boat gets very touchy.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-14-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
Off topic hijack maybe but every time I see these Slumpy McSlammed threads I think of that video of (Parks?) killing it behind an old outboard barefoot Nautique with almost no wake. I need bigger skills,not a bigger wake. That said, I am watching this thread and learning because soon I too will be weighting a direct drive. Thanks. Sorry,
Hijack over.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-14-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
BAitkiller, are you talking about Byerly behind an old bass boat or some other old outboard or is there actually a video of Parks killing it behind an old outboard? By the, don't think there is such a thing as an outboard nautique. Maybe a Sanger, Centurion or Mastercraft. I think Malibu had a flightcraft and brendella might have had an outboard barefoot boat as well but I don't remember nautique ever making an outboard barefoot boat.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-14-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
My old 2000 MB DD takes 560lbs in the hull for ballast. I have a 240lb bag on either side of the dog house and 4- 50lb blocks scattered around depending on how many people are in the boat. All the blocks are located from the driver's seat back unless I have 4 people in the boat at which time I usually locate 2 in the walkway. Older MB so the wake is still rampy even loaded. Also I try to keep the gas tank topped up to have even more weight.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-14-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
My 99 Tige 21i, I think we ran 2 - 550lbs sacs next to the doghouse. Made things better but the wake was never great on that boat.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-14-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
In my Malibu Sunsetter, we ran a 750 on each side on the engine, 540 in the ski locker as the "normal" set up. On accasion we would do the normal set up plus another tube sack across the back (rear seat removed) probably 400, then a fat brick in the very front of the bow.

The sack we ran across the way rear was a big bag, but never filled it completely up, but the wake was more lippy the more full I would fill that bag
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-14-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
400-660 lbs on each side of the doghouse on my Saltare. It's a big boat so doesn't really sink it, and I'm no pro.... so not gospel but makes the wake bigger but still rampy how I like it.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-14-2012, 7:19 PM Reply   
Do you guys with 400+ bags next to the doghouse support it at all? I have 2 800s to run there (doubt I'll fill them completely) and I'm worried the pressure might be enough to cause damage.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-14-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
No pressure on anything in my boat. Just sits there and doesn't move or interfere with anything other than climbing/sliding over to get to the back.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-14-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Just for the record, when people are talking about the boat being "sketchy" with a lot of weight, I figure someone should describe what that means. When we had our fat seat in our 89 prostar 190 the thing drove like a tank. That means slow and difficult to manuever. It means when you're turning around to pick up a fallen rider you have to be really, really careful not to hit your own wake in such a way as to get water over the bow (because with that much weight it's really easy to do). Make sure you do some practice runs with less than your max weight and be sure you're comfortable before you totally slam it.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-16-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
99 MC 205dd.

I put a 600 lb sac in the rear locker, about 200 lb of lead under the front seats plus a pro x sac under the front seats that is about 200 more pounds. then I add 7 40lb bags of steel shot in the walk thru. so all in all about 680 in the front and 600 in the back. add in 4-5 people and the wake is nice.

my general rule of thumb is to load up the back with as much weight as I feel necessary then add enough in the front to get the front tow hook in the water while siting still. this gives me a nice rampy solid wake. 205's love nose weight so that's why I tend to have more upfront.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-16-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
David, do you actually get 600 pounds in the rear locker of a 99 205? If I remember correctly those have the gas tank that take up most of the locker don't they? I don't remember exactly but when I looked in the locker of one of those 4 or 5 years ago I thought you could maybe fit 200-300. If you can get a full 600 that it great.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-16-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have a 500 bag that gets pretty full, it takes up most the room all I get is some life jackets on top. and the bag extends itself under the back seat a little as well. then I also have about 100 or so pounds of lead plate under the back seat, I'm estimating 600 total. it could be give or take some.

I really like this set up because even though most of my storage space is taken up I don't have sacks all over the floor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-16-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock50 View Post
Do you guys with 400+ bags next to the doghouse support it at all? I have 2 800s to run there (doubt I'll fill them completely) and I'm worried the pressure might be enough to cause damage.
Actually, I did have a problem with the 450s on each side. Once they were filled, they would push up and in on the doghouse, causing the hinge screws to come out of the floor. It wasn't a huge problem, I just screwed them back in, but they're loose, and I might fill the holes with epoxy or something just to be safe. Mind you, this happened because I was filling the bags completely, to the point where they were taking the shape of the bag rather than the boat, so maybe don't completely fill the bags.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-16-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Actually, I did have a problem with the 450s on each side. Once they were filled, they would push up and in on the doghouse, causing the hinge screws to come out of the floor. It wasn't a huge problem, I just screwed them back in, but they're loose, and I might fill the holes with epoxy or something just to be safe. Mind you, this happened because I was filling the bags completely, to the point where they were taking the shape of the bag rather than the boat, so maybe don't completely fill the bags.
I thought about making a 'holder' or frame of somekind for my bags so they had a limit. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-19-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
My 2000 supra we run 1200 up front under the bow, 750's on the sides of the engine, and 500 under the rear seat, wake is great, gotta be careful about putting lots of weight up front like everyone else said you can really dip the bow but I like the wake better with more weight up there
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-21-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm completely off here, but it seems that the OP is asking about weight for surfing and everyone is giving wakeboarding weight recommendations. Anyway, for surfing my old 2002 Air Nautique: 750lb bag in rear locker (doesn't fill all the way), 750lb bag on surf side on engine, surf side ballast, & as many people as I could find. For wakeboarding: 750lb bag on each side of engine (they get nearly full), both rear ballasts, & as many people as I can find - or - 750lb bag in rear locker, 750lb bag in center locker (doesn't get full), & as many people as I can find.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-21-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
^^ I suppose you are right but it doesn't really quite jump out and say "for surfing". I Take all that weight I mentioned and put it to one side from the drivers seat back. I also find driving in a circle makes a cleaner wave than driving straight. You can open or close your turn to produce the best wave.