Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-23-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
Eos 400D 10.1 MP

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9685/canon_eos_400d/

just kidding Nikon guys take it easy. It may not even be true, but most folks on the photo forums are thinking it is legit.

I just want a 17-85 2.8L IS to be introduced......

Now the question is, don't I get a prize or something for posting this before RD did????

JK
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-23-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting that, I figured it's about time for a new Canon body (in Sept and) for the rumors to start flying. A self cleaning sensor would be nice! I'd be happy with a 100-300 f4L IS twist zoom!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
It's official now:

http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/specs.aspx

2 new lenses:

70-200 f4L IS (and weather seal.)

and a 50 f1.2L. If the IQ of the 50 is anywhere near the 35 f1.4L the Pros are going to to go nuts over that. That lens just reaffirms Canon's committment to full frame sensors.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
I'm betting Canon still has an ace or 2 up it's sleeve for next month as well.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
so this is the rebel replacement? if this is a beginner camera, then why put it at 10 megapixels? Its still really small, light and plasticy, and the viewfinder still sucks. I really didn't see many features about it that would make me want to trade in my rebel. its still 3 fps, ISO increments are the same. It does have more megapixels but thats not that big of deal to me since i don't print out posters or anything huge.

a self cleaning sensor would be ideal though

(Message edited by wakeboardertj on August 24, 2006)

(Message edited by wakeboardertj on August 24, 2006)
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
that 70-200f4 IS is a bomb as well. Its retailed at like 1600 dollars? Why not spend 400 more for a 2.8 IS, duh! Canon has made some dissapointing releases, hopefully they will release a midrange camera. Supposedly they were going to release somehting "legendary". ok lets see it
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'm not saying the new 70-200 is ideal but it does have a few benefits over the f2.8 version. At $1250 or less it's much cheaper (as you point out) then the f2.8, it's way smaller and lighter (the f2.8 version is a reasonably big lens for what it is) and it's got the newer 4 stop IS so unless you're shooting lowlight sports or want the increased bokeh you're not losing much speed over the f2.8.

The IQ will probably make or break that lens at the current price but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't settle in under a grand once the initial demand is met. For anyone looking for a good deal on the existing 70-200 f4 Ebay and FM will be littered with them as soon as these are available.

Canon mentioned "molded glass" lens elements (vs ground?) in these so it sounds like they may be using a new technology here.

As far as the 400D goes Nikon's got 10mp and now Canon does as well. I doubt you'll see more fps or higher end features at this price range from either for some time to come.

I find it interesting that they're testing the new sensor cleaning technology on the low end model first before they put it in the high end stuff although I doubt Canon is through introducing new bodies this year so we may see that technology on another new body. I think they jumped the gun in intro'ing this body to counter the new Nikon D80 announcement. The D200 has been out long enough to not affect Canon's potential Photokina announcements next month.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-24-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
Taylor, the average digital camera consumer is buying megapixels. In their world, bigger is better.

Daniel
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-24-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Is the 400D going to be named the XTi in the States, cause now it's on the Canon US site.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&mode lid=14256
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
I forgot that was happening today. Like Rich stated if you want more fps you're not going to see it on the lower cost DSLRs.
Yes it will be called XTi in the US. No different than the situation with 300d/rebel
Here's a run down by Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082416canoneos400drebelxti.asp
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
daniel, very true, canon just took a huge foothold in the entry dslrs.

Rich, i didn't look into the lense much, i just saw the price and that is was slower than the 2.8 and just couldn't see many users selling their 2.8 IS's for this new f4. but time will tell, the IQ and user frienlyness could be incredible.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-24-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
4 stop image stabilizer on the new 70-200? holy crap...

interesting to see that canon has included the picture styles and image parameters into the 400d. cant imagine that its a highly demanded feature in a lower level body.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
wow, i guess the new f4 is about 1.5 pounds lighter than the 2.8 IS.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-24-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
yup, the 2.8 IS is pretty much a tank. its not necessarily bad because the extra weight helps keep the camera steady through bumps, but for some the weight is a turn off.