Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    folsomgirl101            06-14-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
I am interested in buying a boat (2002 MALIBU WAKESETTER LSV, 23' V-DRIVE) Does anyone have any thoughts on this baot....need advise
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-14-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
My friend has this boat. I have a 03 VLX and love it. My friend also loves his. I personally think you can get the wake behind my 21' bigger than his, but thats about the only difference. Both are great boats and both have great wakes. His has alot more so its more comfortable than mine when theres alot of people.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-14-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
The asking price is $43, would you say that is about right in the price range?
Old    chavezychavez            06-14-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
For 43k you could have a brand new boat (Sanger, Calabria, Supra) with all the warranties...

Just food for thought.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
I'd say 43k would be right if it had 10-25hrs and never titled. Its a buyers market. Ditto what Chavez says.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-14-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
ya thats not bad, as long as it has alot of the ad on's already on it. I paid that for mine brand new but i have a small dealer and i live in Arkansas and mine is a vlx. You will definetley (in my opinion) like that boat alot better than any of the new ones you can get for that price. How many hours are on the boat? Post some pics if you get any
Old    chavezychavez            06-14-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
Ryan, that was not an intelligent comment. To each their own - IMO the VLX is a great boat but I personally think the V215 is better.

Get the drift?
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-14-2004, 11:02 PM Reply   
this is ridiculous, i'm not trying to start a big huge ordeal, but that is a good price for a lsv if it is low hours and with options. That was really my point. I think everyone will agree that the lsv is a great boat
Old    wakeupdude            06-14-2004, 11:03 PM Reply   
Chavez, he said "in my opinion".
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2004, 7:10 AM Reply   
Just for the record, it looks like we are talking about the LSV, not a VLX....

Never been in a Sanger V215, but was VERY interested. Dealer in Utah didn't have one in and never called me back to inform me when he expected one. Sanger went off the short list.

Agree with the post about never titled and very low hours, but that seems close to impossible due to the fact that it would be a 2 year old dealer demo(best deal going, if you can find one).

In closing, the boat buying process is 100% personal as we have found out with just a few posts here. The LSV is a great boat, Hell....any boat is better than no boat. If the boat is in GREAT condition, has some options(shower, heater, PP, Wedge, maybe even an upgraded stereo) and it is what YOU want, 43 K is not too much to pay(I would offer closer to 40).

Like Chris said....it is a buyers market. This could not be more true with used boats. When someone is selling their "new" boat, usually they have another in mind or don't use it. Either way, they want to dump it and that puts the power in your hands.

Anyway....good luck.

E.J.
Old    ilovetrains            06-15-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Not sure where original poster is, but local dealer offered me a Malibu LSV for 45-46K new off the floor. The MSRP was 49.995 and he was giving 7% discount. (more or less)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
That must have been one stripped boat.

But you are correct, the price of boats varies greatly depending on your area.

Local dealer wants 47 K+ for a fairly loaded VLX...that is the price, take it or leave it. I left it....

E.J.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
I didn't mean to start a war or anything, sorry. I don't really know alot about California I was just saying I thought that a boat there would cost a little more than here, but I really have no clue. Like I said I paid 43 for a new VLX, but it didn't have every option. I didn't get the heater, bow lights, or shower just because I didn't need it, but it has everything else. Here I would think it was a little high, but maybe not in Cali.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
WoW, a lot of good usefull info,,,,thanks Here's the skinny: 2002 MALIBU Wakesetter LSV, 23' V-DRIVE,PURE WAKEBOARDING PLEASURE, TOWER, BOARD RACKS,SHOWER, WAKEBOARDING DIGITAL PERFECT PASS, MALIBU LAUNCH SYSTEM (900 POUNDS OF BALLAST),ONE CENTER AND TWO REAR BALLAST,WEDGE ADDS 1000 POUNDS OF BALLAST, CD STEREO, INFINITY SPEAKERS, BIMINI TOP, BOAT COVER, TANDEM TRAILER, LOW PROFILE TIRES, CHROME WHEELS, ADJUSTABLE CAPTAINS CHAIR ALSO SWIVELS, WITH FLIP UP BOLSTER (SO YOU CAN SEE OVER THE FRONT WHEN WAKEBOARDING), SEATS 13, 2 BUILT IN COOLERS,THIS BOAT IS SPOTLESS! ALWAYS STORED INDOORS, NO SHOES EVER ALLOWED INSIDE BOAT! OPTIONAL WARRANTY GOOD UNTIL 7/2008...............NOW, with all that info, what do ya all think????? I have attached a pic.
Malibu 2002
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
AWESOME! I would say go for it! Make sure you check the hours on it, but as long as its resanoble I would buy it for that price. Thats an awesome looking boat.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
By the way, if you have any other questions e-mail me and i can give you my friends email address that owns the 02 LSV.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Ya, I thought is was a good price, but i am new to this and want questions answered. so thanks to all.....if anyone else has any thoughts please respond.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
California....check and see if it has ever been used in the salt.

Great looking boat.

Make them throw in the boards, ropes, bumpers...bla..bla..bla. Easy to drop another few grand on that stuff.

E.J.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
Good Question;;.........nope, never in salt, and everything is inc.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
by the way, the boat only has 54 hrs.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Take Ryan up on his offer to e-mail the friend. That is exactly what I did before my purchase.

Once you know the boat you want, find someone who has the same boat and get their opinion. They can tell you a ton about things they love, settled for and have first hand knowledge on price.

E.J.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
will do.....I sent him my email....
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
Ryan - my apologies.

EJ - that is terrible about the dealer. I hate it when dealers do not take care of their customers/potential customers.

Michelle - looks good, and the warranty is a MAJOR +++

I am still thinking that 43k can get you something new that compares, but it won't be a BU LSV. If you have your heart set on a BU LSV, then this sounds like the deal for you.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Actually, i don't have my heart set. I was originally looking at the Mastercraft X10 (baby brother to the X30) and the SupperAirNiq and since the LSV is pretty comparable to the X30, I thought why not, since the price was good.

Any thoughts?

Sorry: what does BU stand for? new to the boating world.....;-)
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
maliBU
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
Michelle, now that you have mentioned the X-10 I have to ask: Why do you need a 23 foot boat???
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Well, i thought for the price/value plus having 2 kids & their friends, it would be a good choice?

Thoughts?
Old    zboomer            06-15-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
Are you sure that's an LSV? Paint scheme looks like a VLX to me (21-footer.) Admittedly, I don't know the schemes from all years, but as far as '04's go that's the VLX's paint scheme.

I found what looks like this boat online, http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/3/73035573.htm and the interior also looks like a VLX to me.

Then again, I found another '02 also, and it has the same scheme. Guess I'm all washed up.

(Message edited by ZBoomer on June 15, 2004)
Old    riderzedge04            06-15-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
michelle I would say look at the session it is a nice boat let me know what you think i am in fairfield let me know
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
Well, all the info states it's an LSV i even spoke with the owner....So how would i know for sure? Anything particular to look for?

PS. My heart was set on a Yellow Boat....
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
Michelle - many 21 footers can hold 10 or so people, plus they arguably have better wake shape due to the narrower beams (sometimes). If you want space at 21 feet, then boats such as the Pro-V (21'6" feet not including platform), or the V215, or a VLX might suit you better. I recommend those particular models for their interior space/finish and direct knowledge of their wake potential.

Those boats can be had new (minus the VLX which is a bit more) for 43k(ish). I highly recommend shopping a bit - shoot down 50 to Hazel and make the rounds.

I think you are making a pretty significant decision and you may want to do some first-hand research before you jump into something that may not be ideal for your needs. (I am not saying the LSV isn't just that there are other options)
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
Thanks, Chavez....1 thing that i am particularly looking for is a wider width, i don't want to feel crampt.....some of the boat terms you used i am no familar with. What are the models?
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       06-15-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have an 04' supreme V208 and it is 96" wide. Paid much less than 43K. In fact I think the supreme V230 (100" wide) is less that 40K. The Calabria Pro-V is 102" wide if i am not mistaken and it is around 43K. There are a lot of boats to choose from, bottom line is get one you like that fits your needs be it a malibu, nautique, mastercraft.
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
I forgot about Supreme. Never ridden behind one but they definitely look nice. Centurion also makes a nice boat.

Anything 96" and above should feel pretty roomy inside.

I think the bottom line is you need to do some serious (but FUN!) shopping.
Old    oshensurfer            06-15-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
GO demo the boats if you haven't already. Find one you like while on the water (riding and driving), not just in the show room. Play with all the switches, etc. Chavey is right. Go look at everything before deciding. You may be surprised to find that you can in fact get a quality boat that is new for that amount if you work it right. That Malibu is a nice looking boat though.

models = diff. type of boat that each manufacturer makes. Just like ford make a F150 and an F350 truck. Diff sizes, diff. options.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
Could not agree more on the shopping. I love the process. Also go on http://boattrader.com and see what you can fine in your area. It is also a good place to price stuff.

But a few things to think about. If they are throwing in bumpers, ropes, anchor, jackets, WB ropes, boards, skis ect....that is HUGE. When I bought my first boat years ago, I dropped like $1,500 on small stuff. Those 2 Premiers + Belmonts are, give or take, a grand alone.

Boats take their biggest hit the first 2-3 years. So with a used, leftover or demo boat, you have some depreciation built in. My previous Cobalt and now SAN were both bought as previous years leftovers(SAN was a demo).

Last but maybe the most important. Be sure that you are buying a boat that you can get AMAZING service for. Meaning, make sure whatever local dealer that will be servicing your boat has a GREAT reputation with the locals.

Again...good luck. IMO not a better investment for the family.

E.J.
Old    riderzedge04            06-15-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
michelle I can get you a new boat with lot exters for like 39k. If you would like to know more let me know it is a good boat and i have some yellow boats to it will hold 10 people and i am in fairfield so service would be ez you can e-mail me at richard@yachts2k.com
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-15-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
What is exters?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Side note, graphics were the same on the VLX and LSV and think they still are.

E.J.
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
Pierce, that's redneck for EXTRAS.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-15-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
Ohhh...ha ha.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-15-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Check out www.malibuboatowners.com a nice group of boat owners can help you out alot. As far as getting a 23 ft boat over a 21 ft boat, storage, will you have lots of people with alot of stuff often? Will you be out on the lake the entire day? Do you go to a big lake often? If you anwsered yes to these then get the 23, but if you are REALLY into wakeboarding and are at an advanced level where the diffrence in the wake would be needed then go the 21. Can't go wrong with a malibu :-) :-) :-)
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Ok, I would have to say that big lakes, all day and lots of people would me me. I am not so much worried about the wake, both the kids and I are a little above the beginner level. I am looking for getting the most for my $$$$.

hyperlitenerd - thanks for the link, will check into this....do you have one?
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   

quote:

I am looking for getting the most for my $$$$.

That statement changes things a little. Best bang for the buck in no particular order:

Calabria
Sanger
Supreme
Centurion
Skiers Choice (Supra/Mobius)

Find those dealers (all along the 50 corridor) and attack!!!!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-15-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Michelle:

Have you ridden behind the boat? There are quite a few Malibu owners around Folsom including myself and you can hook up with them at malibuboatowners.com and I'm sure they can help you out too.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-15-2004, 3:06 PM Reply   
No, I have only been behind an X30.

Chavez: question, why would the BU not be listed up there in your 5???? Just currious
Old    chavezychavez            06-15-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
You said bang for the buck. That immediately eliminates Malibu, Masterraft, Correct Craft, and for the most part MB and Tige. All of these boats are generally in the 45k and up category for what you need.

Drop a price bracket to the boat manufacturers I recommended (45k and under) and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the mix of quality, features, and options.
Old    zboomer            06-15-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
EJ, currently the graphics are definitely diffent on the VLX and LSV. I've spent the last couple months looking at boats, so am very familiar with the Malibus and Supras especially. :-)

LSV: http://www2.worldpub.net/images/bbg04/malibu_wakesetter23lsv_main_03.jpg

VLX: http://www2.worldpub.net/images/bbg04/malibu_wakesetter21vlx_main_03.jpg

I have no idea when they went to the new gel coat scheme on the sides of the LSV.

FWIW, I was in the market for a 21-footer, and ended up going with a Supra SSV over a VLX. With the same options, it was $7k cheaper. Hard to justify $7k TO ME for a name, and interior niceties like vinyl covered dash. My wife figured that would be one more thing to crack in the sun down the road anyway.

Also, the SSV seemed a lot bigger on the inside than the VLX. I loved the Malibu, but love the Supra also. :-)

(Message edited by ZBoomer on June 15, 2004)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-15-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Michelle: If you want to try out riding behind a BU let me know and I'll hook you up. I'm out there a couple of times per week. My BU now has 625 hours on it and I've had no problems except for a water pump. It's been really reliable. The value seems to hold pretty well too as much as I can tell. The wedge is nice if you have a wide range of rider skill and want to adjust the wake size quickly and easily. No other manufacturer really has that capability and I find it real handy when young kids are along for the ride.

I would list out my priorities in a boat, then shop the priorities. I would definitely go for a V drive without question. I would also buy "almost new". There was one year of Malibu where they had trouble with the Vinyl seams ripping. I can't remember if it was 2002 or not. Someone here will know. I also hear that they had trouble with the Hammerhead engines. However the Monsoons are pretty much bullet proof. Don't buy anything that's not fuel injected.

Centurion has a reputation for ongoing problems in the past. I don't know how well their new boats are holding up. I agree that Sanger makes a good boat at a fair price and I would recommend the V215 over the V230 for the wake. Anything with a really wide beam (like the X30 or V230 and I suppose the LSV too) is harder to weight down and improve the wake from what I read. The V215 is very popular and hard to find and you won't find any used.

Ask the owner if they will throw in any equipment like boards, anchors, kneeboards, tubes, ropes, flags, life vests, etc.. I saw the other pics on boattrader.com and it looks like they've got some nice gear. If they're just upgrading you probably won't get the gear, but if they're getting out of the sport, you could score big. See if they have a spare tire too. Does the boat have a canvas cover that goes over the tower? A good cover is worth about 600 bucks and you're gonna need it if you store it outside. Make sure the warranty is transferrable... the whole warranty, not just the hull. Ask to see all of the service records including any warranty work. That may indicate if the vinyl seams had trouble or not.

After you get all that out of the way, ask them if they were going to rank the boat from 1 to 10 how they would rank it 10 being best. If you get anything other than a 10, ask the owner to explain why. Hum and Ahh as they explain. Now you've got the owner wanting to get you back on their side. Now is your opportunity to say well... and toss in your low number to see if you get a bite.

Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
Get it!!! My cousin loves his LSV. I have ridden behind the vlx and lsv and to me there isn't a whole lot of difference. He completely sacks it out and always has alot of ppl in it. The wake is a lil bit wider from one wake to the other but not enough to really matter (but thats just me). You won't regret gettin it! Promise!
Old    00prostar205v            06-16-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
Michelle: If I was going to spend that kind of $ on a used boat I would:
1. Try to find out why they are selling it. 54 hrs is great but it only takes a couple minutes to damage an engine if it gets too hot, has no oil, etc.
2. Have it checked out by a qualified mechanic.
3. Absolutely lake test.
4. Use your judgement. If the seller balks at any of this just say goodbye. There is ALWAYS another good deal out there. Remember you could buy a brand new boat for about what they are asking for this 2002.

Old    00prostar205v            06-16-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
I'd just go get a new Sanger for that kind of $.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-16-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Hey again, a lot of great info.thanks....

John - From talking with the owner everything is included, covers, boards, ropes, etc...and even the warranty is transferable....

Bill - he explained to me that due to his kids going off in different directions there is no need for such a large boat...(going smaller) just him and the wife.

I going to drive Thursday Am @ Folsom.

P.S. I just found out that a 2001 V210 just came up....any thoughts...

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-16-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
The V210 is a great boat for wakeboarding, but I think it has a funky engine cover cause it's not flat. You want a flat area as a sun deck IMO.

Sounds strange that the owner would give you all of their gear if they are going to get another boat.

Get the service records and call the dealership where it was serviced to confirm everything about the boat.

When you test drive it, fill the ballast system, make sure there are no leaks. What motor is in the boat? Is it the hammerhead or the monsoon?

You might want to go online to www.malibuboats.com and print out the option sheet on the boat and check off everything that the boat has and does not have. You will be surprised sometimes that you're missing some important option you really want. It will also give you a comparision chart and some idea of the real worth of the boat. Does the owner have the original paperwork that shows what he paid?
Old    folsomgirl101            06-16-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
Scratch the V210 it was a 1999....wrong info
Old    chavezychavez            06-16-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
John, the V210 has a flat sunpad if you get the Black Scorpion motor.

But... I wouldn't recommend the 210 anyhow to her because of the size.
Old    folsomgirl101            06-18-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Hey, just wanted to say thanks to all who responded......But it's looks as though the seller sold the boat. Even with my $10K cash down....Oh well.....

So if anyone has a boat or knows someone selling, let me know....