Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-04-2003, 9:05 PM Reply   
I'd have to say the best boat mooch I know is Jason Onori. The guy has had a broken leg for the past 2 months and he's already helped me out 5 times to be a 3rd. Now that's what I call stoke. Although, he can talk your ear off sometimes, his boat driving skills make up for it.
What do you say, Dave? How about we have a contest for "Boat mooch of the year" award. Maybe you can send the winner some T-shirts and stickers.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-04-2003, 10:20 PM Reply   
How about sending the winner a boat?
Old    chester            09-04-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
I gotta second the boat idea.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       09-05-2003, 12:16 AM Reply   
I've gootta be up pretty far on the list by now too! Can I get in on this free boat thing?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-05-2003, 5:28 AM Reply   
I'm working on it.... I have a long a way to go though. Do I get extra credit since I mooch all over the country?
I use my own boat when I'm home. Do I lose points for owning a boat?
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-05-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
So wait, according this plan, once a Mooch has achieved supreme Moochness, he/she gets a boat and is effectively stripped of their Moochability? That sucks!. If this happens, all future Mooch competitions will be "rigged" never giving the opportunity for last years champ to maintain or redeem his/her title. In this case, our world, as we know it, will cease to exist.
Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!
We're Doomed!
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-05-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
I think we have the best mooch. My buddy Daniel bought a new fat sack when ours busted AND bought new speakers when the tower's blew.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
That's commitment.
I vote for Daniel. In fact, can I get his #?
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-05-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
Man, Daniel is a hell of a guy. He always pays $20 for gas, helps clean the boat, if we go out during the week he has the boat hooked up, cooler and boards in the boat. All I got to do when I get home is slap on some shorts and go.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
I put a vote in for Thane.

Shows up at the dock, board in one hand, rope and handle in the other, gas money between his teeth, oh yeah Rolex watch, 10 ounces of gold, case of imported beer, hmmmmm oh yeah and 20 G string women! Sick,

Thane need a pull this weekend?!?!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-05-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
I got a super Mooch buddy (patrick).... HE picks up my boat from storage, gasses it, launches it and haves it ready for when I arrive... Has great driving ability, and very responsible... Its like its his boat and i'm the guy getting a ride on the boat. I also needed the stereo fixed so he pulled it to Sac from disco on his day off... And when we are done, he makes sure the boat is spotless... Only thing better would be if he paid for insurance and had playboy bunnies on the boat.
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-05-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
canaday - are you hearing this?!?!?!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-05-2003, 11:46 AM Reply   
Jon - thanks man.

Everyone remember there are mooches and there are whores. I, as is my friend Tim Jewitt, am a whore. Not to be confused with mooches. I've been working very hard over the past year to build up my clientele. The true mark of a whore is that they never go looking for a pull...but they still ride all the time. Much love to the mooches though for gettin' their hustle on.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-05-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
Thane - that is classic !!!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-05-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'm not sure about this but has anyone seen the looking for a third board i think there are like 5 posts from Paula Sundberg and she has a boat!!

........and then there is Sean Canaday
Old    trickskisrock            09-05-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
I definitely vote for Sean as the biggest mooch.
Not only does he never show up with cash or beer, but he drinks all the beer you bring instead. He might have cleaned a boat once, but that might have been his twin brother. Oh and if you make the mistake of letting him borrow your boat, you risk coming back to find it half way underwater in the middle of Lake Webb at Buena Vista. (Did I miss anything else John?)
All this and yet he's still mooched rides off of every boat in SD. Only guy I know that can ride with 6-7 different boats in one week (sometimes three different ones in the same day).

After Sean, I think Paula probably comes in a pretty close second.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-05-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
Well Wakewhore of the year would have to go to Thane.
Sean in there for Mooch (but only 6-7 boats a week, sorry I expect more J/K!!!!)
I would say Paula, but she only ride's two days a week (usually) hehehehe. But she is grooming Kevin to be an amazing mooch(watch out for him in the future).
But a wakewhore/Boat-mooch is nothing without a great comunity of boat owners, I think all the credit should go to them.
Old    buttacup            09-05-2003, 5:54 PM Reply   
Sorry you never made the cut Kristian.....what's up with that?
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-05-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
Moochers are great, what would we do without them? Every time we go out, I can count on Josh and Sondra or Jer and Carol to ride along. If they didn't, then I probably wouldn't be boarding. Your guys are great moochers, and frineds too. Can you feel the love!
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-05-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
I hope they don't win the boat, then I would be without my third.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-05-2003, 8:37 PM Reply   
Trick skis suck.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-05-2003, 11:06 PM Reply   
Lynsey: Yeah I could never find a ride on a tuesday, don't know if I apply.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2003, 11:31 PM Reply   
WOW! I am honored that I have been considered by some folks for "Boat Mooch of the Year"

Thank You!
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       09-07-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
I have my own boat, but I never take it out because Carter, Gid, Neelley, Joe, Dale, Scott, John, Troy, and many others have better boats with bigger wakes. Does that bump me up a little more on the mooch scale?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-07-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yeah what Dan said, except I don't have a boat....yet. Dan what up bro?! How is everything going? We should get together sometime.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-07-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
I think Kristian has a wake whoring gift. I saw him go from boat to boat to boat one day at San V, it was amazing. My vote is Kristian.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-07-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
Are you kidding? Thane, after your performance last time we rode, I think you ought to receive the WakeWhore Lifetime Achievement Award!!!! From our boat to Marquardt's (X-games medalist, only 2 fine ladies on board) boat and back in one outing!!!! How many mooches/whores can say they have pulled that off?
Old    buttacup            09-07-2003, 2:38 PM Reply   
Sounds like it's only Thane and Kristian that have pulled that off so I would say they are now tied.
Old    norcal_99            09-08-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Thane, If what Jonathan says is true, "Shows up at the dock, board in one hand, rope and handle in the other, gas money between his teeth, oh yeah Rolex watch, 10 ounces of gold, case of imported beer, hmmmmm oh yeah and 20 G string women!"

You should move up to NorCal. The delta can use a good whore.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
Jeff - You're too generous. I can recall the day you speak of. That day was tiiiiiiiiiight!! I remember getting home and being like, "did that actually just happen?" It was a good day regardless, but getting to ride with Melissa and Gretchen just iced the cake.

Rene - I would hate to leave all the generous people that pull me around here. As of now, my 3 steady pulls are an '04 Wakesetter VLX, an '03 SAN, and an '02 X-star, I don't think I'm going anywhere soon.

Old    norcal_99            09-08-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
Darn-it I was so looking forward to the Rolex watch and case of imported beer. Are you sure I can't convince you? We can easily match those boats, and there's no comparison to the delta water conditions.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
Jon meant to say "shows up at the dock, board and rope in hand, 10 ounces of gold in his teeth, and 20 imported-beer guzzling money-grubbin' g-string women....with rolex watches."

Can I move into your place?
Old    norcal_99            09-08-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
hahaha
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-08-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Wow,

I thought that I was working my way up in the ranks but in viewing the incredible achievements of my brothers and sisters in moochihood, I have come to the realization that I dont compare! Obviously I need to work on my skills quite a bit and develope a "clientele" like Thane in hopes to ascend to the title and classification of "wake whore".

Is there a school or maybe some classes available to teach the "art" of wake-whoring? If so, I'd like to enroll in an effort to be considered part of the short list among legends such as Paula, Sean, and of course Thane.

Oh, lastly, cheers to Dave for offering up a new boat for the winner of the contest! What kind of boat was that Dave? haha

Jim

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
classes there are not, my friend. A certain skill wake-whoring does require. With practice and persistence this skill will come. Follow in the footsteps of your wake-whore peers you must. Wakewhore pre-requisites:
1. back trailer down
2. trailer boat
3. drive boat
4. contribute to the cause (gas money, etc.)
5. wipe down
6. give advice where needed
7. flag
8. help filling/emptying sacks
9. bring good attitude even if the water sucks, if the wake isn't perfect, if the speed isn't perfect, if the weather isn't perfect, or any other reason.
Old    norcal_99            09-08-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
Don't forget number 10. Twenty imported-beer guzzling money-grubbin' g-string women....with rolex watches.

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Well, I know he won't get many overall votes since I pretty much monopolize him and keep him on my boat as much as possible, but Ryan McDaniel can hold his own with any mooch out there. If I were grading him on the nine criteria Thane offered above I would give him an A+ for each one.

Couldn't let this thread go by without giving him a shout out. Thanks for being an awesome third, Gilligan!
Old    beginpend            09-08-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
Wow!!!

I thought a mooch was a bad thing?!. My MX, snowmobiling buddy, "John", has gone with me every outing this summer except for once and has paid for gas only once. Right now he has promised 2 tanks of gas and binding repair costs but hasn't paid.

I paid for the boat, ins., title, maint, repairs, and 90% of the gas. When confronted, he never has his wallet or "forgets" to bring the promised $. The only reason I have taken him so many times is he is the best driver of all the people that go with me. On a scale of 1-10, I give John a -10. Am I wrong? You guys (and gals) are very lucky to have friends with a concsious and $$!!!! Any of you would be more than welcome on my boat.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-08-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
Does he help clean up? Is he a complainer? Is the gas $ the only issue? I dunno, a great driver trumps no gas money in my book.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
Good point. Kind of depends on if the guy is just low on funds or purposely trying to avoid tossing in some cash.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-08-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
Thane -

Thanks for the "hip-pocket" class and I would have to say that I meet all 9 items of your criteria, however, I fall short with Rene's 10th item. I only have 3 g-string women with me and they also fail their imposed criteria in that they dont drink beer - they do shots, and they are not money grubbing - they bring their own. I guess that I dont measure up when it comes to wake whoring. Guess that that means I wont get too many invites. Damn.

So.... Thane, I guess that makes you the "whoremaster"????
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-08-2003, 5:42 PM Reply   
I have some good "wake whoring" years under my belt. I used to ride a bunch, and never had a boat. But I always payed my way and showed up with women.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
I hope none of you take me seriously. I really don't think I'm that good of a wakewhore, I just show up, help where I can, and have a hell of a good time riding, behind the boat, in the boat, whatever. I have to give a huge shout to all the guys/girls that have given me pulls, you know who you are. Some more than others. I would also have to give a shout to my dawg, Tim Jewitt for getting me started "whoring" in the first place.

Jim - I prefer Wakewhore Sensei.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-08-2003, 10:49 PM Reply   
Thane and Lynsey: Thanks!!! I'm honoured to have mention by you two.
Thane: I learned from the best. and yes we all take you very seriously!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
So how 'bout it Dave?
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-10-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
After successfully selling his Tige'; Boat Moocher Dan Trachsel has been mooching off his GF Chrissy's Tige, Tony's 'BU, and Gabe and Nicks Mastercraft all summer long. I would like to vote Dan Trachsel as this year's "Boat Mooch of the Year award". He would've been mooching off of me, but my boat is always full, the curse of having a Nautique .
Who's with me?

(Message edited by eljefepequeno on September 10, 2003)
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-10-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
Luckily I saw this thread! I would also like to vote Dan Trachsel as Boat Mooch of the Year.

For the same reasons Jefe said!
Old    starfish            09-10-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
One more vote for Dan Trachsel. I will say for a boat mooch he is very helpful with driving & cleanup, and he never skimps on gas money!
Old     (chrissyg)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-10-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
Jefe,

You did not get all the boats Dan has mooched from this year, you missed Ron's Moomba, Bob's '04 Tige, and that big Sea Ray at the G Compound at The Lake. I think that brings the count up to a total of 7 boats. Is that a record of some sort?? I would agree with everyone's comments with the exception of Angela's comments regarding "clean up". I have no proof that he knows how to clean a boat. Other than that Dan Trachsel has my vote for "Boat Mooch of the Year award", for sure.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
7 boats in a year? that's pretty good.
Old    todd_fish            09-10-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
I think that mooch and whore have too much of a negative connitation. In today's Politically Correct society I prefere the title of Boat Monkey.

I own no boat and manage to go out 2-3 times a week. In the past i've had up to 4 different people I would ride with but I have recently narrowed it down to one. The owner of the boat never has to get it ready. I uncover the boat, assemble the flight pipe, gas it up and even sometimes get it warmed up by the time he reaches the dock. I'm also in charge of arranging for the ladies to show up to.

Yes this is a personal advertisement..... Anyone in the upstate South Carolina Area?

P.S. I do have boat driving skills.... both slalom and wakeboarding.....
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-10-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
Wow, I did not know Dan's mooching extends so far. Is there any more boats out there that have been touched by Dan's moochiness (is that a word)? Can anyone beat 7 boats?

Dan for Mooch of the YEAR!!!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
7 boats in how long?? 3 days, a week??
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
My record is 8 differant boats in one week.
2 on monday.
1 on wednesday
1 on thusrday
1 on friday
2 on saturday
1 on sunday
One of the best weeks of my life, never been so exhausted. Unfortunatly was never able to repeat it, but came close a few times.

(Message edited by kristian on September 10, 2003)
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-10-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote from Chrissy: "I have no proof that he knows how to clean a boat."

That is funny, and she would know! Come to think of it I don't have any proof he has ever helped clean our boat either? He has always helped take stuff out, load the car, etc... but clean it???

So is the winner based on # of votes, number of boats, overall mooch qualities, or something else?
Old    todd_fish            09-10-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
Very impressive... After a re-count my record is 5. At one time I had to turn down pulls.

2 on a weekday.... you could be the master... I've done two on a weekend.... not on a weekday.
Old    buttacup            09-10-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
Well I've been on 12 different boats but not all in the same week like Kristian. All were wakeboard boats except for three of them
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
the boats I've ridden behind in the past year:
'94 ski nautique
'97 x-star
'02 tige 20v
'02 x-9
'01 calabria Pro-v
'00 Wakesetter VLX
'03 Wakesetter VLX
'03 SAN
'03 SANTE
'00 Air Nautique
'02 X-5
'03 x-2
'03 x-10
'00 sunsetter
'01 sunsetter
'99 sunsetter
'02 Wakesetter VLX
'03 Tige 22i
'02 Mobius V
'01 Moomba Outback
'02 Tige 23v
'02 x-star
'01 centurion
'02 centurion
'99 Malibu Response

is your boat on the list?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-10-2003, 2:20 PM Reply   
Mine is at the bottom. We'll add 04 SANLE to your list soon. You need to use this info to update your rider profile - BOAT : Too many to list!!!!
Old    dtrachsel            09-10-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
What about Pat's Supra, I've been on that a few times this year. That would bring the total to 8.
Old    buttacup            09-10-2003, 10:57 PM Reply   
Well unlike Thane I didn't categorize mine in years just under same models so I probably have a few more to add to mine but can paula beat that? hahaha.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2003, 11:24 PM Reply   
Nope, but I don't see an 03 X-Star on Thane's list... like it is on MINE. Or better yet, a VERY well weighted HYDRODYNE!:-) One of the nicest wakes I've ever had the privilege to ride behind!
Old    chester            09-10-2003, 11:34 PM Reply   
I want the B.M. of the year award.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2003, 11:42 PM Reply   
Cough, cough. Who got you that ride behind the 03 X-star Paula??
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-11-2003, 12:01 AM Reply   
I keep hearing about this Hydrodyne who owns it and how can i get a pull?
Old    todd_fish            09-11-2003, 7:04 AM Reply   
So.... Is a good boat mooch one who rides behind many boats, even if it's only once? Or is a good boat mooch one who has a smaller amount of boats that he/she rides behind, but is considered a regular on every boat?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-11-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
Sorry Randy, the Hydrodyne is reserved for professional wakewhores, not the lowly amateurs.

Todd - I believe I speak for most mooches/wakewhores in saying that getting a consistent rides with a smaller amount of boats is nice, but there are so many boats to try and so many schedule changes that having a large pool of people to ride with helps because you can usually find someone who is going out at the same time you are.

I also would like to think of it not so much as wakewhoring/mooching but more as doing my part to keep population pollution off of our local lakes.

Also, I've gone 4 boats in one day. 3 were back to back to back.
Old    todd_fish            09-11-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
So, in other words.... the number of boats is proportional to the moochers scheduling needs. This could be quite a challanging task to see who is really the best. Maybe we need some testimonials from the owners of the boats.

How many others have organized/ tried to organize local wakeboarding events just to find more boats to bum a ride on.

see the archives for Board Bash....
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
i think i might be in the running for boat whore of the year. this is my dock and i don't own any of the boats docked here. i ride almost every morning and sometimes the evening also. i have about 10 boats that i ride behind more than 5 times a season and built two kickers and a slider to get more pulls out here. thanks to everyone who lets me be the boat jigalo. you know who you are.

Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-11-2003, 2:10 PM Reply   
Well he may no longer be on this board but any list of moochers would not be complete without at least a mention of Joe Umali. He's always looking for a ride, and when he gets it, he's down with the gas money, the driving, the cleanup etc.