Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-15-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
My 2000 Mastercraft 205V has a stock Clarion 5475 head unit and wired remote next to the throttle. The head unit seems to have gone sour, and I'm trying to find a new unit that will work with the existing remote. Anybody know if the Clarion M455 works with this remote?
Old    bocephus            08-15-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Which remote is it? How about a picture...
Old    davemcadams            08-15-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
yes it works, but you lose the mute function.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-15-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Here is a pic

Upload
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-15-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Second question - anybody know what it means that my Clarion head unit says "TEL" and won't function? I'm ready to give up on it for this reason.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-15-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Erik, take this opportunity to upgrade. I have a 99 xstar with that same radio. I bought a new panasonic from online carstereo for i thinkl 135$. The reason for upgrading was two more external jacks. It has MP3 capability and I can run my Ipod with it. I kept my remote and bought a new connector from Panasonic and wired it in so i could use it. However, in hindsite it was a waste because I control all the functions with my Ipod. good luck.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-15-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Brad,

Which Panasonic connector did you get? I'm assuming you spliced into the Clarion remote wires somehow? Did you have instructions to follow for this? Which model Panasonic did you get?

Thanks
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-15-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
Does the pause function work still or is the pause/mute button totally disabled?
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-15-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Erik it is the CQ-C3433 I think. Im not sure of the functions. I bought the connector online and diy'd it. After I wired it I realized I was going to run everything through the Ipod. stop, start, pause, etc. Hope this helps. If you dont have an Ipod do your self a favor and BUY IT NOW. you wont regret it. I bought a 60 gig 4th gen refurbished and Ithink I paid around 200$.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Brad
Where did you buy the connector at, and did you wire it. I am in same boat, want a different stereo, but dont want to lose the factory remote.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-16-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
I have the same headunit/remote in my 2K 205. is there a good replacement solution for both the headunit and remote. Many headunits that will fit, but hoping a wired remote fits in the same remote spot. That would seem the way to go Eric.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
From my research, it appears as though Sony, Pioneer, and Kenwood have units that support wired remotes. I'm having a heck of a time trying to track them down anywhere online however. I know the Pioneer is a rectangle remote, which would not work well in the 205. The Sony sounds like it is a little bigger but at least it is round, so you may have to bore out the hole a bit. I would rather go Sony but I think I would rather keep the same remote or at least upgrade to the newer Clarion remote of the same size, just to not mess with the console area too much.

One option for me at this point is to buy a refurbished factory replacement that I know will work with the remote. However, for another $50, I could get a brand new Clarion that may or may not be fully functional with the original remote, per above post. My thought right now is to get the updated technology, hope that the remote controls it, and worst case scenario have to hold the volume down button and not have a mute when I turn around to pick somebody up. I suppose I could determine how annoying this is and potentially get the updated Clarion remote someday for another $100.
Old    davemcadams            08-16-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
The M455 that you originally mentioned has aux input jacks and you can buy a Peripherial interface that will connect your ipod thru those.
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
You can upgrade the clarion head unit to a CMD4 or M455 and replace your existing remote with the CMRC2-SB which is 2.4" OD and needs a 2.003" hole to mount. It's a tad larger than your existing one but should fit there fine. The dimensions for the CMRC2-SB are:

Remote Dimensions: Diameter of outer frame=2.415", Cutout diameter necessary for chassis to mount in panel=2.003", Mounting depth of chassis=1.137", Mounting depth including fixed mounting bolts=2.224", Overall depth=2.734"

You can see a picture of it at:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1CvT4K3amqJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=225250&tab=detailed_info&i=020CMRC2 #Tab

But look to buy it on ebay (far cheaper)
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
Gordon, have you tried the old remote with the M455 and had everything work but the mute/pause?
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
Erik,

I have an '01 205V that had the same remote, same location. My head unit had issues and I wanted the aux in/Ipod interface so I replaced it with the M455. I went with the larger remote the CMRC1-SB which I put in the dash in place of the remaining speedo when I installed perfect pass.

The old remote hole I put a plug in and installed a bracketron swivel iPod mount to hold the ipod close by if I'm using the headphone out to aux in on the eq instead of the ipod interface in the dash box.

You can certainly follow your plan posted above which sounds feasible. The cord for both remotes looks to be the same and having the ability to use an mp3 or ipod is great. Changing cd's and the associated skipping over chop issues is something I don't miss.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-17-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
I have the same remote in my 00 xstar. I replaced the head unit with a cdm4 + ipod interface, and kept the same remote. It works fine.

only issue is that I had to order an 06 glove box to get the cmd4 to install correctly. the older gloveboxes wont fit the larger stereo well.

there also is an mb quart single din marine unit, forgot the name, that uses the exact same remote
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-19-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
As an update, I installed the M455 Clarion today and it works great. As mentioned, the mute function does not work with the old remote, however, when playing a CD, the pause function does, which is what I was really after anyway. So no need to change remotes! Every other function works perfect.