Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-19-2003, 8:49 PM Reply   
Does anyone on Wakeworld use a Tahoe Z-71 for pulling their boat? I am looking at getting one and wanted some response from current owners. Thanks.
Old     (bmblbee)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-20-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
Take a look through the "rigs" posting. Lots of Tahoes shown.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       09-20-2003, 6:49 AM Reply   
Just make sure it has the 5.3 in it and the towing package. It should tow fine. If it doesn't have the towing package then I would highly suggest adding a good transmission cooler.
Old    tvac31            09-22-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
Andrew

We have a 2002 Z71 Tahoe, it pulls our Super Air with no problems.
Old    oshensurfer            09-22-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
I've got a '02 Z71 and pull a Centurion Hurricane with it. Works fine. Definitely get the biggest engine you can...
Pull and pulled
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
If the truck has the heavy duty tow package, it will come w/ tranny cooler.

If you tow a lot on the flats, the 3.73 rear end gearing should be fine. If you live out west and tow a lot of grades, I would get the 4.10's

I have an 01 Tahoe, same 5.3l motor, and IMO, its barely adequate. BUT, I tow a lot of grades.
Old    w8kbrdn            09-22-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
i have a 99 z71 extended cap p/u and it does a great job on the flats and a ok job in the hills.
it does have the 5.3, i wouldn't at all recommend a 5.7 in the older years, they just dont have the power. a friend of mine has the h/d with the 6.0 and he says going through the hills it has no problems, with mine it will kick in and out of over drive. if i was going to buy another truck i would get the h/d with the 6.0.
good luck
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-22-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
TAHOE Z71 4x4
Starting at $43,030*

SUBURBAN THREE-QUARTER-TON LS
4x4 Starting at $42,365*
Vortec 6.0
325 hp at 5200 rpm
365 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm

I will take the Suburban for the same price
Old    oshensurfer            09-23-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
If it fits in your garage.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
Nobody pays MSRP you can get better deals on Tahoe's
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
YEP Sure does.
A Suburban should fit in any standard garage. Isn't a standard garage like 20'? The Suburban is barely over 18' long. I guess it depends on how much crap is in ones garage.....
My garage is 21' 6" so a Suburban and a boat will fit in there (with swing-away tongue on trailer).
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
How much can someone get a Z71 Tahoe for?
What is the best deal?
You can get $200-$300 over invoice on both of those vehicles easy. Since the MSRP is bascially the same you should still pay about the same........
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
I got my tahoe for around $31k sticker was $41k so there is quite a bit of room to bargain, and the invoice said $36k. From my experience Suburbans dont have as much leway. They know if you want one bad enough you will pay for it, and if you dont the next guy/gal will.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
WOW Mark!!!
Is that a 4X4?
Z71, LS, LT?
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, what year?
Old    tommyadrian5            09-23-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
Right now you can get killer deals on the bigger SUV's. We walked into a chevy dealer a few months ago and said we wanted a tahoe for 10K below sticker, the dealer at first laughed and acted as though he was sellign them like hotcakes. He showed us a few then started giving the normal "what would it take for me to sell you a tahoe right now". We told him "10K below sticker", he said he could do 4K below sticker, we said no thanks, then as we were about to walk out we hear, "Ok, 10K below sticker".

Nobody wants these things right now, with the exception of those towing gas guzzling wakeboard boats(who don't mind a gas guzzling car) and those who really need the space. We have both a suburban and a tahoe. Gas prices are so high right now, in addition to there being so many options for SUV's especially ones more practical than the suburbans and tahoes, which are essentially enclosed pickup trucks, that dealers are having a hard time moving them. I think it can be attested to by the fact that i now see about 5 Trailblazers/Envoys for every one new tahoe/suburban. I think people are over the fascination with the massive SUV and are realizing that although size is cool, for $1.85 a gallon a little bit smaller goes a long way. But it does make for some incredible deals on the big boys if you want/need one.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
Mine is a 2003 LT. The Z71 was just a little bit more, but I bought it for my wife to drive during the week, and for me to pull my boat on weekends. My stats are a little cheaper cuz I get the family discount(dad retired from GM). But if the dealer can sell it to me at that price you know they didn't lose any money.

Its called the GMS price. The dealer will give you the price but you have to have correct paperwork to purchase it under that plan. But like I said if they can sell it at that price you know they are not losing $$. So you can have an estimated price of how low another dealer can possibly go.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-23-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   

Dealers in So Cal are advertising $10K off all Tahoes on the lot. I worked a deal on an AVY, sticker was $38,565 and I got em down to $28,745. SO there is room.

They make money even if they sell below invoice due to that damn invoice is paded. ie, there is a destination charge in there that dealers dont even pay.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       09-23-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
Mark, your statement is not true. The dealer gets refunded a large portion of the discounted price you get for your GM supplier discount.

If a regular customer got the same price they would take it in the shorts because they won't make any money from the holdback or advertising fees.

The majority of the 10K discount is rebates and discount off msrp. Markup is about 13% on full size SUV's and the rebates on Tahoes are 3500 plus another 1000 in certain markets. Add that all together and it's about 9500. So they are just cutting into their holdback about 500 which means they are still making around a 1000 on the truck.

Bear in mind though that is very little profit margin and is gross not net. They still have to subtract operating costs.

Car dealers are not making money on new car sales right now. They make money on used vehicles, financing, warranties and service.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 7:41 PM Reply   
So GM credits the dealer for offering the discounts to employee's? Didn't know that. At the time I bought there was "only" a $3000 cash back incentives. But they make up the difference by selling me a new car or truck every year so I dont feel bad
Old    ccalderon            10-29-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
We just purchased a brand new white 2003 GMC Yukon and had a 6" suspension lift installed with 16X10 wheels and 33" BFG All Terrains, crome step bars AND Flowmaster exhaust for 40k! And that is including the extended 100K mile warranty that covers the lift kit and everything else. We purchased from GMC dealership in Sacramento area via Carsdirect.com. Only thing is the week or so after we got it home they began offering 6 yrs at no interest. Up to that point it was 5 years no interest. Oh well, still a smoking deal if you ask me.
Old    ccalderon            10-29-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
That is 40K out the door. One other thing, I prefer to tow our boat with my 2003 Toytoa Tundra as it has far more power than the standard V8 that is in the Yukon. I am looking to install an intake system and performance filter on the Yukon and a programmer to get the most power out of it without regearing it. Thats it for now.
Old     (dangerdave)      Join Date: May 2002       10-30-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
Has anyone had any tranny problems? I have an 02 Tahoe LT 2wd. 5.3L V8. In 45K miles I've had the bell gear go out under the original factory warranty. I bought the extended warranty, and yesterday it started making noises and wouldn't shift real smooth. Dropped it off at the dealer and they call back later and say that it has only 1st and 3rd gear now. I have never towed anything with this car, it's the wifes kid hauler. We tow with my 2500 HD with the Duramax. The service guy at the dealer when we had the bell gear fixed said that those were common. Just wondering if anyone else has had any tranny problems?

DD
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-30-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   
I tow with an 03 Avalanche Z 71 that has towing package and tow boats like the VLX and LSV with no problem here in the mountains of East Tenn.
Old    robert7411            10-30-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
i have a 04 avalanche and it does a great job on the flats and a ok job in the hills
Old    bambamski            10-31-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
I used to own a Yukon/Tahoe and they aren't the greatest tow vehicles in the world. If you plan on owning the truck for a longer period than 2-3 years I'd look at something a little heavier. A Tahoe will get the job done however it will take a toll on the power train. I ended up replacing the diff, tranny and transfer case in my truck after 4 years of use. The Mechanic told me that these trucks were good for 100K or 60,000 miles then you should get rid of them. If you do that you should be OK, if you plan on keeping it longer go with something heavier for sure.
Old    tattoobling            10-31-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Ford F-250 PowerStroke 4 Door. The SHIZZLE if you're gonna tow. Diesel has way more torque, more longevity, better resale, and high miles aren't near the worry as with a gas engine. Friend of mine just got a new '03 extended cab Lariat (leather, all that stuff, etc.) for $33k w/ 0% for I think it was 5 years.
Old    grantmi1            10-31-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
Kaiser I want that one.
Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-04-2003, 11:11 AM Reply   
Greg Davis, you are right... the avg. amt. of money a dealer makes on a new vehicle is $600.. We pull with a tahoe 4x4 and silverado Z71 and have no trouble at all. They both have the tow option, and I would recommend getting that if you plan on towing your boat a whole lot.
Old    suzmar1997            11-04-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
I have a 02 Z71 and tow a 02 23' WS Xti. It tows fine on the flats and decent on the hills. I have had a few incidents where the tranny seems to shift really hard and has hesitated shifting from park to reverse a few times. I need to get it looked at before the warranty is up. I had a 99 Tahoe Lt prior to this one and also had tranny problems setting in before I got rid of it. I second the Ford Diesel recommendation, I borrowed my dad's for a long trip and couldn't tell the boat was behind me....saved lots in gas $ too.