Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    svfara            10-10-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
How many of you out there are from the Northeast?

It seems to me that this community is predominately from the West Coast?
Am I wrong?

I'm getting a little jealous hearing about everybody riding thru the winter :-)
We don't have a whole lot of riding left up here.
I'm finally picking up the new boat tomorrow though, so hopefully there's still a few nice days left up here!

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-10-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
people are from everywhere on here.. WEst coast is just on everyones minds... =)
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-10-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
I'm a new englanda, ayea, good times in Maine Personally I'd like to be in Orlando right now, but thats just me.
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-10-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
I am from Maryland. I also wish i was in orlando myself.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-10-2003, 4:09 PM Reply   
Ya man, im from Granby, MA in the western part of mass.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-11-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
we need to have a north east party! We could all meet up somewhere for a weekend or something that would be SWEET!!
Old    aquajack            10-11-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   
Pittsburgh, PA ....water temp was 61 degrees today. A litlle cool but bearable.

We will most likely be breaking out the drysuit next week!
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-11-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
damn, i pissed we just winterized our boat today
Old    tommyadrian5            10-12-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Maryland, trying to get out tomorrow
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-12-2003, 12:09 PM Reply   
We just went yesterday, I had a drysuit so it was perfect, outside temp was about 75. "Ohio"
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-12-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
NYC straight up
Old    kevlar            10-12-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
Canterbury, NH. I think the Northeast is the US's black hole of wakeboarding.
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
plymouth, Mass. Seasons just about over =( bummer
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-12-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
why do i have to be the only western mass rider? i hate how nobody knows what wakeboarding even is. I try to get everyone to know about it.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-13-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
Ryan, I have the same problem up here, just think of yourself as a "wake missionary" lol
Old    kevlar            10-13-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
Amen.
Hey, if you're a high school student, try to start a wakeboarding team at your school, we'll have competitions and spread wakeboardism to the masses! Or we could have a Northeast Wakefest. There was one attempt at a NH Wakefest, but everybody forgot about it before it even got off the ground.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-13-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
OMG!!! We should try to do another NE Wakefest!!! That would be sick! I have to figure out when my summer break but then I am ALL for it!!!!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-13-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
I'm in New Jersey and I was wakeboarding wearing a drysuit in a saltwater bay just this past Sunday.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
Still going in upstate NY. Using full wetsuit in the am and shorty if the air is warm in the day. Water has just dropped below 60 at my lake. When it gets below 50 I'll probably break out the drysuit.
Old    svfara            10-14-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
A Northeast Wakefest sounds sweet, I would defintely be in!

Monday was really nice out here, and I was so close to getting out in the water!
I just picked up my new boat and trailered it back from Florida Sat. & Sun.
Monday I got it cleaned up, the tower on and almost everything else all set.
I was short 1 battery though! and no stores around carried the correct one... :-(

So it's looks like I will be out this weekend in the 50 degree temps...
(gotta try out the new toy atleast once before winter!)

So here's a picture of my new baby:

Svfara-2004-home1.JPG
Old    svfara            10-14-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
Don't know why the picture doesn't seem to work...
Here's another try:

Svfara
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-15-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
Nice! Congrats on the new rig, looks like you'll be hav'n a blast next summer!
Old    wicomico            10-15-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
northeast fest could be sweet. i'm from Maryland- Eastern Shore. there are some good rivers over here that get glassy and warm. little chilly now though.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-15-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
Here's our north east cruiser that we got new just this past February. We've been loving it all summer. New boat's are great! Good luck with yours Svfara.
Super Air
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-15-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
yeah, I think we should make this thing happen! Who else is in?
Old    josh_weiner            10-15-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
Im down for riding, I havent been out in over a month. Im in NYC...its getting cold. Ill come though.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-15-2003, 11:44 PM Reply   
Whats everyone doing the first weekend in Nov.? And are people willing to come if we had it the first weekend in Nov.?
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2003, 7:00 AM Reply   
where are we going to ride in Nov? If we want this thing to be a success we shouldn't rush it. Wait till next spring get it planned out right and give people time to spread the word. I think it is a great idea, I'm just not sure next month is the time to do it.
Old    svfara            10-16-2003, 7:37 AM Reply   
Why not do both?
I'm up for an impromptu Nov. ride.
(The new boat has a heater and a heated shower) :-)

I'm not sure where everone wants to ride.
I'm from Central Mass, Lake Quinsigamond in Shrewsbury/Worcester is a very nice lake (long and skinny) and shouldn't be busy this time of year. In Connecticut there is also Rainbow Resevoir in Windsor.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
I'm sure there has got to be some good lakes in New Hampshire???

Anyway, if Nov. works out, it would be cool.
But I agree with David, we should plan out a spring Northeast Fest for sure!
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-16-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   
thats a good point, I'm up for a test run too tho, I'll be in FL all this spring, I get a 2 week break during the summer where I come back up but thats it... we could do just like a little get together as a blowout to the end of the season, nuthin major, just like a last minute thing, anyone else up for it?
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-16-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
This would be cool. Nov and/or spring I would be in; probably could get a few others from around here in too.
Old    kevlar            10-19-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
NH lakes:
Milton Three Ponds is pretty sweet, but stay away from Winnepesaukee and Winisquam, especially during the weekends. Personally, I think the best locales for wake in the Northeast are in Maine (Sebago, Long Lake are my yearly haven where I do 90% of my learning and progressing). I'm down for the spring or summer, everybody has more time then and it's not so friggin cold.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-19-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
I used to live in Cleveland Ohio and would drive down 8 hours to wakeboard on a heated lake in NC called Hyco Lake during the Fall and again in the Spring(the lake is heated by a coal plant). Liked it so much just packed my stuff and migrated down here to NC for good.
We have quite a local gathering of wakeboarders and skyskiers that camp out at Hyco Lake every Halloween and Easter. Come on down. Join us if you'd like. Check out www.endofropegang.com for more info.
Old     (marchamb)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-19-2003, 9:29 PM Reply   
Dosen't it suck when your new boat gets here at the end of October! Makes me want to move back to Orlando.

xstar
Old    svfara            10-20-2003, 6:18 AM Reply   
Sweet boat Michael!
I feel your pain, just got my boat too...

Of course I had to test it out this weekend.
Water & Air temp were in the mid 50's

What does everybody do in the cold weather to help get the bindings on and off?

In the cold, the bindings really stiffened up and it was VERY dificult to get on and quite painful to get off.

Any tricks / suggestions?
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-20-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
Hot water shower!!!
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-20-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
damn, im jealous. im still behind an 18 foot sea ray over on the CT river
Old    renegade            10-20-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Im reppin it from Strong Island....went riding last week but i think the seasons over now.. there are so good spots here and it seems like a middle area for the northeast..maybe a good spot for some sort of festival?
Old    emoney            10-21-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
Representing Ohio, all you east siders need to check out www.piernauticalwear.com and hook yourself up with some sweet threads from a north east company....Peace, "E"
Old    kevlar            10-22-2003, 5:32 PM Reply   
Eric- Gotta find one first.
Noreasters- I've been told to get a boardshop or local company to sponsor the event (NE Wakefest). Let's have some initiative, decide on a lake, and get this rollin. It's never too early to start, but we'll be sorry if we're too late. Do y'all wanna get the buoy boys involved? Jamie Beauschene was born in my hometown and he might help us if we do. Also, all my waker buddies at school are pretty stoaked about having a Fest, I think if we spread the word, we could get a pretty sweet thing going here.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-23-2003, 4:54 AM Reply   
I would be all over a wakefest in the spring. Bring it!
Old    kali            10-23-2003, 5:24 AM Reply   
CT has had a few wakefests....a board shop in Brookfield CT Called Axis Boardsports sponsers it. In the past it has been help at Candlewood Lake. this year was cxld due to bad weather. if some of you are interested in getting something going for next spring im sure he would love help spreding the word. give the shop a call
Old    kali            10-23-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
http://wicedfest.com/wiced_article.asp?ar_id=21
here is some contact info
Old    emoney            10-23-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Matt I might have to see if I can sell at the event.....
www.piernauticalwear.com
Old    uglyinfatuation            10-24-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
hey david..im from marshfield, mass. do you still live in mass...cause i just moved to florida..but i miss the cold weather up there ohhh sooo muchh!!! get back to me..i know a bunch of people from plymouth.
much luv ~*~Erica~*~
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       10-25-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Yeah I do still live in Mass, My actual home is on Boston, But I'm living in Plymouth while I'm goin to school at Umass. Believe it or not I actually would miss the snow of I moved somewhere like Florida, Sometimes it sucks but it can also be a lot of fun. Hockey on the lake is almost as fun as wakeboarding, wait a sec who am I kidding? no its not.
Old    svfara            10-28-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
If the weather forecast is correct it looks like it's finally gonna be a nice weekend up here in the Northeast!

Gonna have to get out one more time with the new boat!
w00h00!
Old    awlang            10-28-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
I live in Conneaut Lake, Pa.
Old    kevlar            10-28-2003, 3:06 PM Reply   
Connecticut? Cool. How can I find out when, where, how to get there, and all that good stuff?
Bess Marine- sounds like a great opportunity for your career.
Old     (wakerocker)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-28-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
From MA---board on cape cod---this is crazy. I posted something similar about a year ago and I got like two responses. Hmmm. Wakeworld is growing. A Northeast wakefest would be kickass. Sadly, I just moved to Northern CA, like everyone else here.
Old    svfara            10-28-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
Terrance,

Where on the Cape did you board?
Are there any freshwater lakes?
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-29-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
when i go to the cape on vacation, i ride at long pond in brewster.
Old    svfara            10-29-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
Perfect!

Whenever I go to the Cape I stay at a friends Condo in Brewster. In-fact I will be there next weekend.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather!
Old    missjade            10-29-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
I'm in Austin Texas now, but my family is in CT. I'd love to go back there and ride! Hook it up!!
Old     (wakerocker)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-29-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
Hey Svfara. There are some freshwater lakes but none that really support a watersport scene. I usually take my boat down a channel from the ocean into Oyster Pond in Chatham. It kind of sucks because of traffic (it is really small), but between that and keeping an eye on the ocean (it does actually get super glassy from time to time)---I make due.
Old    uglyinfatuation            10-31-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
i am going to umass fall semester of 2004!! maybe i will see u around ..huh? :-)
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
umass dartmouth?! wow, what are the odds, maybe we will see each other =) Not many ppl around here know about wakeboarding though. I posted on UMD's forums about it and never even got a response =( Well, I'm on White Island Pond (a small lake) and there are probably 4-5 wakeboarders on it, total. four of us are new to it (don't have pylons cheap boards etc) and theres one group on the lake with a nice malibu with a pylon, Only other wakeboarders I've ever actually seen. Finally someone else at UMd that wakeboards! I'm kinda ecited lol.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-31-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
long pond is probably the best place to ride on the cape, its a decent size, about 2 miles long. I saw some people riding there a a few summers ago.
Erica, which umass are you going to, Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell, Worcester?
Old     (h2o2wine)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-01-2003, 3:22 AM Reply   
I'm down in Mohegan Lake, NY (non-skiable). We had our boat up at Candlewood Lake in Connecticut for the first season. The only problem with the WICED (Wakeboarding in Connecticut) festival is that Candlewood on the weekends after 11 turns into an ocean with all the boat traffic. We actually had a roller go over the bow while we were sitting idle in the middle of the lake. I'm game for heading out to another festival this year. If you want to make it a great time for everyone (have some bands, sponsors, equipment demos, contest, etc), you really have to plan this thing out for a few months so that people can get geared up for it.
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       11-01-2003, 5:24 AM Reply   
I definatly agree that we should plan this out right. Thats why I was kinda against the idea of having in now, I thought it would be better if we waited for spring for weather and to give us all winter to get everything done. I'd be glad to help, although I'm not sure what I can do I am just a college kid from Mass, but if theres anything I can do jujst let me know.
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       11-09-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
Hey guys, It's been awhile since anyone has posted here, I'm trying to keep interest alive in this I really want to see it happen. Anyone have any updates on whos doing what? or any plans anyone has? We gotta try and keep the interest up throught the winter up here or I fear the idea is just gonna fade away =/
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-09-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
When would be a good time for everyone? June could be good because the summer is just getting started, it could be a good way to kick off the summer season! Who would be willing to bring their boat? I think that is the first step, make sure there are people that are willing to brng their boats, then if we know we have the equip. then we plan a loaction, then a date/time. Does that sound good to everyone?
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-09-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
Yes. That seems like the right way to do it. I'd bet Deven on here would bring his pro Air and my other friend would bring his X-star. I'll check on the x-star. What do you think Deven?
Old    svfara            11-10-2003, 5:51 AM Reply   
I am willing to bring my boat (Svfara SV609)
With any luck I will have upgraded by then to the new bigger SV696

How many boats should we have for the wakefest?

I think late June would be a great time to have it.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-10-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
In terms of how many boats... how many people are for SURE going to try and make it? I think if we had like 2-3 boats that should be plenty cause we could squeeze like 10 people to a boat and we could go in shifts, plus if we have too many boats then the water will get choppy. If we do this I think we should do like a whole weekend camp out type of thing, Fri, Sat., Sun.
What do you guys think?
Old    kali            11-10-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
Bess, Last wake fest in CT (the wickedfest) drew 700 people. your talking 30? do you plan to make it a semi private event or is it open to everyone? your posts in the past have all said that you are trying to find a way in the industry, if you were to work on planing something wouldnt you want it to go off and be huge with a band and sponsers and stuff. why limit yourself to 30 people? heres how i look at it, we all ride on our own time and search for the butter. but at a wakefest i would like to meet as many boarders as i can since we are all spread all over the northeast. i realize that having alot of people is going to chop the water but for me the main point of this would be to meet some mellow riders and hopefull expand our crews in the future. i guess what im getting at is why dont you take the bull by the horns and create a sick a$$ party for the Northeast.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-10-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
Matt, I LOVE the way you think!! I didn't think there was that much interest in it, but with those types of numbers, 700 people, I'm all for it! I just threw that number of 3 boats out there cause it didn't sound like that many people were into it, if we are to get sponsors involved then we have to get the ball rolling. Tomorrow I'm driving down to Naples, ME to my local shop, I'll talk to the guy that owns it to get some stuff going. Matt, who organized the wakefest in CT last year? Do you have any contact info? Were there any sponsors for the event? Did INT have anything to do with it? If we plan it for late next summer, as a closing to the summer time then there will be more opportunities to advertise, like the INT stops, local shops, possibly here on wakeworld, etc. I defenitly want the event to be open to everyone, I couldn't agree with you more, the more people the better. It would be great if we could get some sort of coverage for it too to help expand the scene up here.
Old    kali            11-11-2003, 5:12 AM Reply   
bess, i put a link up earlier in the post regarding contact info for wickedfest. good luck
Old     (h2o2wine)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-12-2003, 4:49 AM Reply   
Matt - I was at the last Wiced fest (2 years ago) and I have to say that 700 people is a slight embellishment. It's not like they had turnstyles or tickets to see exactly how many showed up, but I would guess it was 200-250 at most. I do agree, however, that to pull off a northeastern event that people are going to want to continue to come back to, you will need a number of sponsors to help out (wakeboard reps, boat shops, local bands, etc). Also, you will want to find a body of water where you can ride for the majority of the day - on Candlewood you can go from 5 am - 11 am and then the lake turns into an ocean.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-14-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
Ok! I know a guy who owns a marina on Lake Cumberland Kentucky. There they have house boats,thousands of miles of shore line, and a great party place where all the house boats come together. The party place is called 76 Falls. I don't know if this is an ideal location for everyone, but its a great lake and there is always butter to be had. There are camping areas, but alot of people just find a island or a place somewhere on the shore line and set up camp. I don't know what everyone is thinking, but this is a great spot.
If this could work and people are interested drop me an e-mail.
Old    kevlar            11-28-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Deven,
Sounds great. One problem; can't very well have a Northeast wakefest in Kentucky, can we?
Y'all,
If you know a pro from around here, let him/her know. If you got a wakeboat, and don't mind other people touchin her, please post your email and AIM (if you have one) here along with the word "boat". If you would SERIOUSLY like to help, post email and AIM (if you have one) here along with the word "help". I'll get an email/AIM list together to help organize volunteers. After all, this was my idea, I should help.
email: WakerKel@aol.com
AIM: WakerKel
help
Old    kevlar            11-28-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
never mind, it wasn't my idea this time. Props to Bess.
Old    kevlar            11-28-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
Oh, post ur location along with that stuff. So mine would look like:

help
email: WakerKel@aol.com
AIM: WakerKel
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-28-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
e-mail: wakegurl17@aol.com
AIM: Same
Location, Portland, Maine
Old    emoney            11-28-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
I would be interested in possibly donating some products to the event...
Eric
Location, Youngstown,Ohio
wwww.pierx.com
Old    kevlar            12-03-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
Thanks a ton, Eric. We'd like to make sure there's enough interest before we start accepting stuff, though, but somebody will get back to you as soon as we know.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-03-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
Help
e-mail ambristerj@aol.com
Lima, Ohio