Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (airdrew32)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-08-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
I have a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. I just broke my 2008 Ibex on a double up and have been using my friends 2008 CWB Kink.

He has always had an issue with the board getting away from him on jumps - mostly the board slips out behind him which makes for some pretty hard landings. Since I have been riding his board I have had the same problem. It only happens when I flatten out at the wake to try and do grabs or simple wake jumps. We ride the board with out the center fins and the molded fins are really small. If I use a progressive edge and edge all the way through the wake, I never get thrown off. The picture will hopefully give you and idea of what is happening.

Thanks for taking a look.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fnnlr5sd0d1ptH8UcL9HJg?feat=directlink
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-08-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
Why not try something as simple as adding the centre fins?

Your post sounds a bit awkward, flatten out and progressive edge. If you're flattening out you're not maintaining your edge right up the wake. It might be the case that you're flattening off and your weight is shifting forward throwing the board back.

Where are your arms on your take off? They're low at hip level in the pic but if they're near fully extended on the take off it could also be part of the weight forward situation.

I don't suppose you can take a video of a complete jump or have one available? It would help to study your technique from edging through popping.
Old     (airdrew32)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-08-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
What I meant was, the problem only happens when I flatten out. When I use a progressive edge and edge all the way through, the problem never happens.

Not sure about where my hands were. I do have video and I will try to post it tonight.

Thanks for the reply!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-08-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
I sometimes see what your describing when people edge in really hard (non progressive, they flatten off before the take off) and as a result from edging so hard it pulls their hands out and away from the body. Even if the rider keeps their hands low the force as they leave the wake is already pulling them forward. If they do manage to survive the forward pull many times they go down hard on the landing, pulled out the front or just having the handle ripped out of their hands.

Hopefully you can get a few more replies and we'll be able to give you some more help with video
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-08-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Jeff, I would say this is what has been happening to me lately as well.

My riding has been sub par so far this year. Lately I feel like it's my first year boarding
Old     (airdrew32)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-09-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
This video is from several years ago, but the first jump of the video shows the problem I am having.

http://www.viddyou.com/viddstream?videoid=60624
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-09-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Hi guys, Trapper does that video kinda sum up the same thing?

The video does look like you're starting your edge too hard and your arms are getting pulled out from your body.

Firstly I would suggest holding your progressive edge all the way through the jump. Even if you're grabbing or looking to do just a simple wake jump, instead of flattening out just shorten up your approach into the jump and concentrate on floaty w2w pop.

If you're going to keep your same cut distance just build it more progressive, less heat on the start letting it build until you hit the wake.

Another thing I'll suggest as as you cut out in either direction; at the point where you transition your edge from away to towards the wake set your handle. By set the handle I mean that you pull it in close to your body low to the hips.

Another explanation:

Land trick, cutting away from the wake
turning back into the wake for next trick (set handle now)
Handles set, start progressive edge
building edge from mellow to woohoo!
at wake (time to pop!)
do trick
land trick
ride away from trick
repeat

Hope that helps!
Old    dperizzolo            06-09-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
The only advice I can really offer is pull the handle a little closer to your hip in the air to stabilize yourself a little more.
Old    dperizzolo            06-09-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/704253.html?1244562617
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-09-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Basically on the first hit of that video you are edging in with way too much weight on your back foot and it looks like you are trying to push the board in front of you through the wake. Basically your body position is all fouled up and when the board pops it doesn't pop through your core, thus throwing you out of position even more.

Focus on staying centered over the board, maintain a smooth progressive edge and as you ride up the wake make sure you are in a strong position with your hips and ass under your upper body.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-09-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
One thing that's not helping you is thats the widest wake I've ever seen a beginner try to ride. Pull yourself in closer or speed up the boat. Or both.
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-09-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Andrew it sounds like more of a technique problem rather then a board problem. The only tricks that require flattening off are trip flips such as tantrums and front roll variations. I think u might want to slow down and go back to the fundamentals. edge outside of the wake, pause for a second or 2, once u feel the pull from the boat and u start drifting in towards the wake start your edge, make sure u progress the edge , less of an edge to your hardest edge up the entire wake, do not let off and stand up at the wake
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
I've got most of July off.

That should help me clean things up.

I think my problem is that i'm poping to early. My jump height is actually good but i'm casing the wake on the otherside.

I'm going to bump up my speed a notch or two and focus on keeping the handle close.
Old     (airdrew32)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-09-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses!

I will try the suggestions on my next ride and post back the results.
This should help me and my buddy stop doing that and allow us to progress.

This weekend will also be the first weekend riding my new board (08 Hyperlite Apex 147).
Can't wait to try out the big boy.
Old     (airdrew32)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-09-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Anyone near me in the Augusta, GA area?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
I have a place on Oconee, but I'm 4 weeks post-op ACL and won't be riding again until October. I might could swing by one weekend for an early morning session and drop a few pointers.

Where do you ride? Also, just curious what kinda boat you're behind.
Old     (airdrew32)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-09-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Luker - Any help would be appreciated! I also would be glad to drive to your location to get some lessons.
I really think I am in need of coaching to take my riding up a level.

The boat in the video was my friends 01 Air Nautique. I am now riding with another friend of mine who has a 08 Moomba LSV. We ride at Strom Thurmond lake and the Savannah River
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Look like you're probably an hour away from my place give or take. I'll email you to nail down some more specifics...