Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-09-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Does anyone tow with a Sequoia. The 05's have 282 hp @ 5400 rpm; 325 lb.-ft. @ 3400 rpm. I am aware there are better tow vehicles out there. I dont pull up grades very often, mainly fairly flat pulls. My question is will I have any problems pulling a 22' wakeboat with this vehicle.
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       01-09-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
Problems? No.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-09-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
My wife has one and it tows great. The 05 has 40 more hp than the 04. I go up a large grade as well, it tows just as good as our F250 V10 but it is lifted. I am pulling a WSVLX.

You should not have any problems, buy it, they are sweet rides with the nav and dvd.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-09-2005, 10:04 PM Reply   
My wife lets me tow with her '03. Did the K&N intake, TRD catback and Firestone airbags. The airbags were pretty much mandatory, but I think maybe our Epic has a little too much tongue weight. Anyway, the rear suspension is SUV-soft, good thing the bags were cheap and easy.

The only time I've been depressed about engine power was heading west across and through Palm Springs with a sick headwind. At times I was in second gear on the flat.

Heading up the Indio grade, or east up the grapevine, I just drop it into second now and let it run like 4500 rpm during the worst part of the climb.

I average 10.5 mpg towing the S22, and maybe average what the sticker says (14 and 18) when driving conservatively.

BTW, they go through brakes and OEM tires. 18K on the first set of brakes, 30K from OEM Dunflops. We're at 36K now with Michelins and the brakes haven't started whining yet (but soon, I'm sure.)

As far as sway and other towing manners, it pulls as well as anything I've driven before. Did I mention zero defects? Well, the moonroof creaks/rattles every once in a while, but besides the 18K brake pads, it's been friggin perfect.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-09-2005, 11:14 PM Reply   
not a problem at all.. have a 05 seqouia pulling a cc 211 (5000 lbs)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-10-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
I used an 04 Sequoia to pull my Tige 24V (almost 6K pounds by the time you add trailer and toys). It pulled things remarkably well. I only got 8-9 mpg. On some steeper hills I had to slow to 40 MPH but never slower. Most of the time I could maintain 55 or better, and cruising at 70 was no problem on the flats. The handling was excellent and the overall quality was excellent.

I traded it in recently for an Excursion diesel. The Sequoia had 30K miles and the tires seemed to have more wear than I expected, but didn't need replacing for probably another 10-15K miles.

The suspension was very soft and the tongue weight of the 24V seemed too much. The hitch was so high I could barely get the tongue over the hitch, but then it would sink lower than it should be.

My biggest complaint was lack of storage space behind the 3rd seat. We often had enough people to use the 3Rd row, but then had little room for other stuff. We could put stuff in the boat, so it was mostly a problem when doing non-boating activities.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-10-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
also a feature on the 05 is the auto leveling after you hook to the hitch. and it is also adjustable manually. another nice option on the yota.

i dont know if it was on the 04

buy it, you will not be disappointed.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-10-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. I would definately like to find one with the load leveling suspension. The only problem is availabilty seems to be a little limited right now (central valley, ca) and most of them are already packaged w/out it. We still need to sell our Yukon so maybe better availabilty will open up soon. Anyway, thanks again for the input. Sounds like it will be a good ride.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-11-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
If I had gotten the load leveling, that would have eliminated my problem with the soft suspension. It was an option that I should have gotten.

I reread my post and it sounding like I didn't like the vehicle - I loved it. It actually boiled down to the space factor for the number of passengers I carry.
Old    str8jkt            01-12-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
The extra ponies (thank you variable valve timing) are nice on the 05 as well as the 5 speed auto (was a 4 speed auto before 05) I pull a 25' Malibu with mine. The air bag suspension is available on the Limited version but can be had on a SR5 (cheaper) with the sport package. SPort package has special wheels, running boards, airbags and a chin guard (a protector under the front bumper, hopefully just for looks) I am on my second Sequoia now and love the improvements for 05, not that I would shy away from previous years.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-13-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
I have an 03 and love it. Soft suspension, yes. But, last summer I had 1000 lbs of sand in my boat, 22 ft MC and it didn't have any problems with it. I noticed the soft suspension when I was taking the sand (1000 lbs) to the boat all loaded in the back, not when the boat was hooked up.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-13-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Two ways around the sag if you don't get the new OEM option (which sounds awesome, BTW):

1) incorrect/cheap/probly good enough way - Firestone Coil-Rites like I got. Under $100 delivered, take about an hour to install and are rated for 1000 pounds - perfect. You can get an on-board pump or an auto-level system with them for more money. I went low budget and routed the presta valves (like bike tire valves) to the bumper. Fill them up when I hook up the trailer.

2) Preferred way - weight distributing hitch. Yes, there's such a hitch that'll work with surge brakes. Hitch is about $400 and is probably what I'd get if I were to do it over again.

There's a really good discussion on this subject at Tundrasolutions.com, but in a nutshell, beefing up the rear suspension to handle the trailer's tongue weight seriously overloads the rear of the vehicle, which is not as bad a problem as the fact that it unloads the front of the vehicle. Weight over the front wheels is what makes brakes work. Also, this situation can contribute to trailer sway and other bad manners.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-13-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
I beleive the 04 listed horsepower is 240 hp. I don't recall the torque. That should make it tow a lot better.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on January 13, 2005)
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-13-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
Here's dyno results from our '03 before and after a K&N intake kit. They plotted HP versus speed, and I derived rpm and then torque. Since then we've added a catback, but don't expect that helped much in terms of HP or FT-LBS. Sorry for the low quality:

Sequoia dyno
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-19-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
Wow, that paid for itself. I'm gonna stick the K&N off road kit on my Marauder.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-20-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
Most of the gains from a K$N come from opening up the air box not the filter. Never run a K$N in dusty conditions. Here is a good read reposted from the diesel page http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm