Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
that would be a big indy glide
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
by the way, thank you for posting that picture. I was very interested in seeing it.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-19-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Sorry my bad it was early 1999. But it was measured up afterwards to be 30. Pretty impressive and amazing he's still walking.

(Message edited by kristian on May 19, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-19-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
"that would be a big indy glide"

Uh, thanks.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
30 feet. right. I don't know who dreamed up that number, but its not accurate.

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
Then what is accurate?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-20-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
29''11'
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-20-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
Nothing is accurate from those pics. At the apex of his jump there is nothing at the bottom of the pic to measure exactly how high he is.

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-20-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
No problem leo. I'm glad you liked it.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-21-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
It's incredible air, but I just can't believe its 30 feet. I am sure 20 people could calculate the hieght and get 20 different results. 30 feet just sounds like a big fish story to me.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-21-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
This is Chad Sharpe

Chad Sharpe at Parks DU Contest
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-21-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
Look at Parks rope angle and the another picture of CSharpe.

Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-21-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
"Look at Parks rope angle and the another picture of CSharpe"

...yeah, and? You people need to take an introductory art class where they will teach you about perspective, points of convergence, and all that unbelievably simple stuff.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-21-2004, 3:51 PM Reply   
Oh, and...

If Parks has a rope it's Parks's rope. If there is more than one park, to which a rope belongs, the rope is the parks' rope.

I'm just trying to help you out since I believe that your omission of the apostrophe is more likely due to a lack of understanding than to lazy typing.

Where is Swass when you need him...damn slacker.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-21-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
i find it hard to believe that parks's is correct. i've never seen anything like that.

i can't speak to the simplicity of points of convergence and perspective, but it does seem from those two pics that parks went higher than sharpe - at least between those two particular tricks...
Old     (cenfla)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-21-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
just wait until you see the video coverage that will make all your jaws drop for like a straight 20 min hopefully after that we wont have arguements like this one going on and on and on
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-21-2004, 8:09 PM Reply   
Of course Parks is really high there but the line definitely plays tricks on you. I think your mind looks at the picture as if it were taken directly from the side.

Imagine if that pic were directly from the side, i.e. somewhere between the rider and the boat. That would make that line...what...40 feet long? The apparently severe angle of the rope is easily explained by the fact that the photo was taken from behind.

The Chad Sharpe pic, on the other hand, could have been taken directly from the side or from a point closer to the boat. This would give you either an "accurate" rope angle or one that appears less extreme than "reality."
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-21-2004, 11:16 PM Reply   
Swass is tha' man, true... but, in this case, I gotcha covered.

Strunk, W. & White, E.B. (1979). The elements of style (3rd ed.; p. 1). New York: Macmillan.

1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's. Follow this rule whatever the final consonant. Thus write,
Charles's friend
Burns's poems
the witch's malice

I have no idea from the information provided who actually went higher, but I feel it would be nice for somebody other than Parks to claim some glory once in a while (nothing at all intended against Parks... nice kid, even if a bit of a spaz). I just like to root for the underdog sometimes.

And for those of you continuing to argue that the pics not genuine and things of that sort, based on (as Salmon pointed out) apparent lack of understanding of some relatively simple concepts related to visuoperceptual processing, you might check this one out for a basic review:

Hoffman, D. D. (1998). Visual intelligence. New York: Norton

Sorry, some of the above text really should be italicized, but I don't know HTML code.

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-22-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
i only have one thing to say, get a life, give respect to get respect, and spend some time on the water you haters
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
YA! What Doc said! Visuoperceptual processing. DUH! Seemsrelatively simple to me.
Old    ag4ever            05-23-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
I don't think there is any problem with the angle of attack for the rope. The only thing I have a problem with is that he is just about on top (granted is is slightly to the right) of the spray from the wake where he hit it, and the spray seems to stop at an imaginary line just above the trees. It looks like he did go high, but I would expect there to be more water trail, and for him to be a little further out in the flats. If you draw an imaginary line from the other wake wher he hit it (off the photo) to the water trail to where he is, it just does not add up. No body is doubting he went high, it is just tha photo gives a lot of false perspectives.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-23-2004, 10:58 PM Reply   
Robert,

The "water trail", i.e. the splash, would follow its own shorter arc, would not go as high as the rider, and is perfectly consistent with reality in that photo.

Also, I disagree about the trajectory being weird. How far out in the flats he would be is completely arbitrary. It depends on the speed, pop, etc.

Can someone PLEASE just confirm the source of the photo or something so all the doubters can just STOP?
Old    devastate            05-24-2004, 3:57 AM Reply   
Salmon there is no such thing as Parks's either way it would be parks' YOU need to get your vocab right before you start lecturing other people.

John
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-24-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
John O,

Please look at the excerpt which doctor octagon so kindly provided. I'll re-post it here so you don't have to scroll up five posts:

Strunk, W. & White, E.B. (1979). The elements of style (3rd ed.; p. 1). New York: Macmillan.

1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's. Follow this rule whatever the final consonant. Thus write,
Charles's friend
Burns's poems
the witch's malice
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
For apostrophes and s's, you can do it both ways:
parks' or parks's. But if you're writing an article or something of the sort, you're supposed to be consistent on which form you choose to use. And I got that from my AP style book.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
Thanks, chef. That's interesting. I agreed with Stack that "Parks's" sounded weird, which is why I looked it up, but Strunk and White indicated that it is correct. I know that Strunk and White is pretty universally recognized. What book did you find that in, that it can go either way?
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-24-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
Haha. Apparently we've stumbled into some literary controversy. As far as I can tell, the primary advocate of the single apostrophe for the possessive form of singular nouns ending in "s" is the AP. Other sources say to use "'s." Since I'm not a journalist, I've never read the AP Style Guide so I was unaware of this deviation.

Here's a comment about the AP Style Guide from a college journalism professor's website:

possessives -- The main AP exception to Strunk and White's Elements of Style involves forming the possessive of a singular proper noun that ends in "s." AP says merely add an apostrophe. Examples: Otis' cookies, Amos' ice cream, Charles' chips. And here's a reminder of something I'm sure most of you already know: To make something that is singular into a possessive, add 's; to make something plural into a possessive, first make sure it is plural, usually by verifying that it ends in an "s," and then add an apostrophe. Here's a nonsense sentence that illustrates the idea: One dog's bone is worth two dogs' ears.

Another page I found makes this suggestion:

"To form the possessive of a singular noun that ends in an 's' sound, be guided by the way you pronounce the word," advises Gregg. "If a new syllable is formed in the pronunciation of the possessive, add an apostrophe plus 's': your boss's approval, Mr. Morris's tickets. If the addition of an extra syllable would make a word ending in an 's' hard to pronounce, add the apostrophe only: Mrs. Phillips' request, for goodness' sake, Aristophanes' play."

That's an interesting idea.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-24-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
this is very strange....the wife and i just had this conversation this weekend. yes', she is's a journalist and would frown upon my blatent disregard for the proper use's of grammar and punctuation on the board, but as' far as's forming the possessive of a proper, singular noun that ends's in 's' sound, she suggested that i add the apostraphe plus' 's'...however, she also said that most people don't know this's rule and will think it incorrect, therefore, both have become accepted in most circumstances's.

sorry to get involved....just thought the coincindence was interesting. and no, i don't know anything about photography, art, or wakeboarding for that matter.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-24-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
Hmmmm, funny i thought this was about big air, not a grammar lesson.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-24-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
Funny, I thought this was another WakeWorld thread on "discrediting pics even though there's no proof of deception" thread.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
Actually, it is the "rotating topic" thread. Currently, we are exploring the value of visual emoticons for supplementing a written quip.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Doctor octagon, I'm currently out of town so I don't have the book with me. But when I get back, I'll find out what book it is and where the info is.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-26-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
for those who care: my wife checked the AP style guide again and another exception to the apostraphe 's' is if the following word begins with the 's' sound. If so, then one can drop the 's' and just use the apostraphe.

It's Parks's rope, but Parks' slider.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
PLEASE... let it DIE already!