Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-19-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hello,

I know everyone hates these threads, but I am in need of some help in figuring out which board or type would suit my siding conditions, and style.

I am currently riding an 07 Obrien Oasis 137, with 07 Obrien Link bindings. I love the overall pop and feel of this board, but I find it really hard to break the fins loose to do surface tricks.

I am riding behind a I/O with a fairly decent wake for its class. It is definitely not comparable to a wakeboat, but i make do. So i'm looking for a board with a lot of pop to compensate for this. But on the other hand I am looking for something that is fairly easy to break loose for surface tricks. I am very drawn to the Ronix One board, but I am unsure of what features I need. I am also interested in some form of a Slingshot board as well. The style that I ride in is mostly as big as possible, so I think I am looking for a 3 stage, or a hybrid. But everything is really up in the air at this point.

I am currently located in Canada, so I am limited by the shipping aspect, so online is out of the question, unless it is a Canadian shop of course

I am really open to any opinion,and sorry for the rant, i was just trying to get as much information out as i possibly could.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-19-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
i have an i/o as well. its a sea ray 220 it throws a pretty steep wake. and i ride a liquid force lyman 139 and with shane bindings.
total honesty here. but the lyman doesnt have a alot of pop. it tends to go out more then anything. but keith lyman goes huge so that just shows its all in the rider.
and the lyman has really small fins. even with all of the fins in. it tracks great and is really easy to slide. i love board slides and doing surface tricks.
my dad bought the watson and the lyman in the same day. and ive ridden both. the watson has WAY more pop then the lyman but its hard to do surface tricks.

although the lyman doesnt have huge pop. i still LOVE it.
check it out
i have the 08 version. in the 09 the fins are movable to change how it tracks and releases off the wake. i cant say anything about the 09. im just telling you about the 08.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
First off, have you tried riding your current board finless (without the center fin). I am assuming that you have already tried this, but if not, this will help make it easier to release until the next board change.

Demo if you can, as is always said

Cant comment on the One
Rode the Lyman only once this year (just to try it out) and would say it is probably my favorite "traditional" board... I guess mainly because it resembled my Slingshot Recoil the most, but i'd still take my slingshot, personally. This being said with the fact that i have only ridden probably 20 different boards in my entire life. But i Know i'd always choose flex in the end even if i could try them all.

Flex just adds sooo much to my riding experience. I personally feel i get more pop, the landings are softer, and the board is so much easier to play with on the water for shear entertainment purposes or even for saving sketchy landings. And these are not at all characteristics that can only be felt by advanced riders, (i'm intermediate myself) even my super novice, beginner friends like it and notice the differences (mainly the lightness, flex, and slipperiness yet responsiveness).
Old    dperizzolo            11-19-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
Where do you live in Canada Blake?
Old     (tribute)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-19-2008, 10:37 PM Reply   
well im all for hyperlite seeing that they are my sponsor.
I would recommend the tribute or the new sub6. I have heard great things about liquid force and sling shot though. in my opinion its all about personal preference.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-20-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
I wold say demo.

I bet you would have fun on a slingshot behind an I/O or maybe a Hyperlite Roam just for fun.

If you want loose and poppy ride the Marek.
Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-20-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
I am currently in the Toronto area, but the lake I ride is a 3 hour drive away, which is in the Huntsville area if you even know where that is

But im on a really similar set up actually. Chaparall 204 SSI I/O, and it throws a decent enough wake for me.
But i'm not sure if any of the board shops in the area offer demos, so i am fairly limited in that aspect. Slingshot boards are really starting to grow on me now, but does the flex add all that much to your riding?

Also, I need to figure out the proper size of board for me. I'm around 5'11" and at a scrawny 130 lbs. I am still growing, but i think its mostly going to be sideways for now.

Thanks for all the help
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-20-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Blake,

A good Solid Choice for you would be the New Decade or my personal Favorite the O'brien Player, I would Suggest something in the 138 size range. Toss some new Watkins or Sanders Closed to e boots on it and you are set! Both Boards ROCK!

Hope this helps!
Old    dperizzolo            11-20-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Hmm I don't know of any shops out there as I am from Alberta. Boards demos are tough up here I know. Do a lot of research on board that you are interested in. Boards are all about weight so you should be on around a 135-137 right now. The 137 will give you some growing room so that something to look into. Also a longer board will give you more pop.
I can honestly say that flex boards are a lot of fun. I have ridden a 138 Recoil and had a blast. You get quite a bit of pop out of it but I haven't ridden all the boards out there so I don't know if I can say its better than any traditional.
All the brands are good, it just depends on what you are looking for. I am a big fan of Liquid Force. I agree with Andy though a little. That Decade looks like it could be a really fun board.