Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-05-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
The saga continues...

So i swapped out spark plugs and the fuel filter (PCM 350 gm motor) successfully, got everything put back together, finally got a chance to put it back in the water after a slew of trailer calamities, cranked it up...nothing.

I'm thinking I forgot something simple, but i've gone over it a couple times and can't find anything blatantly obvious missing. Soo...my question is what should I look for if the motor will crank but not turn over when all i've done is swapped spark and fuel filter? I know that what it's doing can either be no fuel or no fire, so that's pretty much it :/ Got a pretty high frustration level goin here, thanks to anyone that can help in advance
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
If the fuel filter was in wrong you would not get anything through. You could check to see if you have pressure.
Check if you have spark at the plug wires. (not at the same time as you check fuel).
Maybe the gap on the plugs is to great.

Just ideas...
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-05-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Where do I check to make sure there's pressure? I'd like to start there...the gap on the plugs was set to .045 by me, and the gap on the ones i took out were at .06 and still running, so i don't think that's the problem, but I will check spark on the wires (which I can do)...but I'm not sure how to tell if it's getting fuel or not. Where do i need to look to make sure fuel's getting to the motor?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
If you have fuel injection you just need to loosen a line and gas will spray because it will maintain pressure in the lines to the injectors. If you have a carb you can disconnect the line to the carb.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
If its EFI make sure the fuel pump is running. I had this happen and the plug to the fuel pump was not tight.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-05-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
I was wondering about that as well, i made sure to plug the pump in securely, but didn't really like the way it went in...although, i turned the ignition on, and it definitely primed the pump properly, so would that be a good enough indicator that the electrical is OK?

It's EFI, so i'll check to make sure there's pressure in the lines first thing tomorrow, thanks a bunch guys!
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-06-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
well when you replaced the fuel filter did you fill it up with gas before you put it on? if not there is your problem. just take it off and fill it full of gas and put it back on. it should fire right up.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-06-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Woah...man, if that's right, i'mma feel like a real dumbass.

Shouldn't turning the key on pull fuel from the tank into the canister?
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-06-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
naw cause there is too much air in the filter to fill it enough. its a pretty easy fix tho just take it off and fill it up with gas put it back on. should be good to go
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-06-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
i would NOT recommomend letting gas spray at pressure from anywhere, but thats just me and my skin talkin
be very careful
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-06-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
If you want to check fuel pressure there should be a shradder valve @ the fuel rail you really need a gauge to do this proper or you could cause a fire if trying to crank it,the remark about the fuel filter having to much air in it is incorrect ,key on pressure will build and air will bleed out the fuel filter may be in backwards ifyour gap on the plugs is recommended to be 60 then it should and should not be 45
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-06-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Yup, wasn't a problem with fuel getting to the canister, that was working just fine...second stage fuel pump wasn't getting fuel to the rail due to a loose connection on the pump, tightened it up and the thing ran like a raped ape.

Thanks for all the input guys, fun to learn new stuff the hard way! :-)