Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       08-16-2003, 7:36 PM Reply   
I picked up a Sony TRV250 and recorded a bunch of riding this past week. I am now trying to transfer the video to my PC for editing and I appear to be able to only transfer 10 minute segments at a time. Does anyone know if I can transfer the whole tape and work with it on my PC, or will I need to chunk it into 10 minute blocks? Any tips will be appreciated.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2003, 8:49 PM Reply   
How big is your harddrive? You might be maxxing out your harddrive. thats the only thing that i could think of that might be wrong
Old    demi_barbito            08-17-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
You could also have a time code problem. It may be set to capture X to X and then stop.

As long as the "program" is set up right you should be able to do whatever you want.
Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
The HD has 36 gigs free. I see no settings for time code start and stop points.

The camera came with ImageMixer software. What are others using to transfer digital video to the PC?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-17-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Im using the windows movie maker that comes with windows XP or windows ME. It works fine, not really profesinal quality work, but it gets the job done for what I do. Adobe Premire is the best one out there, so if you wanted to throw down alot of money then thats where to go.
Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
Thanks, Chris. I have Windows Movie Maker with XP, so I will try that to see if I have any more luck.
Old    upupnaway            08-17-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
It depends on how you save it to the computer. I have a 1 min. clip that is in avi DV format (720x480), and the size of the file is 254 mb. the same file reformatted to .WMV is about 2.5 mb.

You should be able to adjust the settings on image size for your edit program. Start a new project, and It should show a list of available templates. 720x480 avi dv 29.97 fps is probably your highest setting, which will take up alot of room. set it on mpeg or a smaller res. avi setting. you should also be able to adjust sound properties as well to save space.

as far as time is concerned, 10 min. at a time is alot to put on your cpu.

IMPORTANT!!- If you have 36 available gigs, allocate it wisely. If you import 20 gigs of video, and want to edit it, you will have no room to save it. (20 gig source file + temp save file + finished product of 20 gigs= no good. To edit and save a vid, you need at least 2 times the finished products worth of room to be successful).

sorry for the long post...I hope it helps.
Old    upupnaway            08-17-2003, 2:36 PM Reply   
One more thing. If you are exporting the finished product to tape, make sure you have a whole lot of ram. If you have less than 256, consider exporting about 3 min. at a time or your buffer will run out and you will wind up with a lot of glitches on the tape.
Old    wakehawg            08-17-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
I'm not sure why it limits you to 10 minute segments, but I ran into a similar problem. I was editing DV and was trying to save a project to disk, and the computer told me I had a 4 gig limit for file size because of the format of my harddrives. A lot of harddrives are setup as FAT or FAT32 which has a 4 gig limit for files sizes. If you convert to NTFS format this rids you of this problem. If you search for "converting FAT32 to NTFS" on yahoo or google you should find guides to do this. I followed the instructions and converted my harddrives without having to format and loose information. Good luck with it all.

wakehawg
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-17-2003, 8:56 PM Reply   
Thomas is exactly right. It's because of your harddrive format which is probably fat32. That's what limits you on the size of your capture file. which sucks when your capturing because you have to keep going back to the computer but if there in smaller segments it gives you more freedom to delete what you don't need. If you have any extra money. I would get a second harddrive for capture.(If you need it) I just got a 120 gig harddrive a couple months ago for $107 at www.newegg.com. It's a Western digital. It was VERY much worth it for me.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-17-2003, 10:08 PM Reply   
It's definitely a good idea to have a separate drive for video editing if you can afford it. Jeremy's recommendation is right on! I have 2 of the western digital WD1200JB drive and they are awesome. Make sure to get the 8mb buffer version, you won't be disappointed.

Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
The HD is a 140 gig Western Digital with 8mb burst cache and I am saving to a dedicated partition. I also have 1 gig of RAM and a 2.53 P4 processor. The partition is formatted using FAT32, but I am not getting close to the 4 gig limit as 10 minutes at max resolution is only 500 megs. I think it is the application, because when I capture with Windows Movie Maker I can save an hour tape with no problems. I am a little disappointed I can't just save the video from the camera as a file and do with it as I wish. I guess I just can't use the software that came with the camera. It probably isn't the best for the job anyway. Thanks guys.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-18-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
In that case it does sound like it's your application. But unless your capturing at a lower quality. I don't see how your not getting close to your 500 MB. limit. Full quality mini DV uses 3.6 MB/s so 10 minutes would be 2160 MB. So you might want to check that out.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
Mike - I use http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html to capture all my video. I set it up, walk away, and come back in 1/2 - 1 hour and all my video for the day is broken up in to small/manageable size video clips ready to edit. But in order to really benefit from this program you have to follow these simple steps

1) Record only the action! People often record a rider's entire session keeping the tape rolling the whole time. Fight the urge! You'll end up wasting 15 minutes of tape, only to use 2 minutes worth in your final edit.

2) Start, stop, start, stop, start, stop…. Press the record button when you see the rider start their outside cut. Now stop recording 2 -3 seconds after they land.

And if you're going to post you videos on the web don't forget to compress...

Old     (msutton)      Join Date: May 2001       08-18-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
Thanks, KFU. We started recording the whole session, but quickly realized that we needed only the action and not 40 takes of someone getting pulled out of the water.

As far as the video transfer, I gave up on the cheap software that came with my camera and am using the cheap software that came with my OS (Windows Movie Maker). I did get a FireWire card and cable and that seems to make things run much smoother (than the USB) as well.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-18-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
Mike, if you haven't done it yet, there is a free upgrade to Movie Maker available on the Microsoft website. It adds a bunch of new features and is a much better product.

You are much better off not capturing your entire tape into a single file - it will be much slower to edit than individual clips. Working with a single 13GB file is never a good idea.
Old    wakehawg            08-18-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
I've been getting familiar with Movie Maker over the past month or so. Let me second Bill's suggestion of getting the upgrade through Windows Update. Movie Maker 2 is MUCH better than the original.

Oh, and ps. If you really get into it (the filmmaking) you can get out of driving duties because you need to film the action. Not a bad deal. hah . On second thought, it's my boat and my gas, why am I driving anyway?

I've got Adobe Premier, and the Bible. I think over Christmas I'll sit down and learn how to use it, but for now the click and drag Movie Maker works for me.

-thomas
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
USB? ouch.... firewire is the only way to go.

When it's time to compress your video check out my post on http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/76852.html

You can't miss it, it's all pics.