Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-18-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
Hey all. I'm committing to buying a new board, but I don't want to spend the money for a 2010, so I'm sure I will be buying an 09. I'm 32, 6'2", 220 lbs. I'm a fairly recreational boarder, but I wouldn't mind getting better. I go wake to wake just fine, but I think my 2001 LF Trip might be holding me back a little with the pop and height issues. I know pop is 90% rider skill, but I'm hoping that the other 10% might be fixed by a new board.

I know I will never be going inverted, but I would like to be able to land 180s and 360s in the future. But before I do that, I need slightly more height coming off the wake. I've got about $300 to spend.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I have a pair of older Hyperlite 30/60 bindings, which I still love and are very comfortable, which I would like to keep on the new board.

Can anyone make any recommendations on a board which they truely believed helped them to the next level?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-18-2010, 11:05 PM Reply   
what size trip do you have currently?
maybe the size you have is too small?

Are you using a non-stretch rope? (spectra and/or dyneema material)?

im not a fan of the trip PERSONALLY, but it is renowned to be a great board for just about everyone of every level. but you might be an exception to the rule like myself

demo if at all possible (sorry if you have heard this too often)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-18-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
if you like the idea of a more bucking style, higher arcing trajectory across the wake. you might look at 3 stage rocker boards.

the trip is continuous and gives a wider arc style of pop. often times it is considered more "forgiving" (because it doesn't "buck" so much)

but this is not to say one gives more pop overall... just a different style of pop.

rocker type is generally the most determining characteristic of a board. determining what you like will narrow things down a bit. there are boards that hybridize these styles too.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-18-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
Thanks, The Trip I have is a 143. One of my concerns with it is that it is 9 or so years old. I know many things don't change year to year, but over 9 years, has the technology changed enough to make a difference, or am I just being hopeful?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
I'm sure nearly a decade has made some legitimate changes to the board, and I'm also sure I have seen Colin Harrington get a little bit of pop out of a Trip. It might just be that your board is worn out, and has lost a little bit of stiffness. Maybe try getting a newer trip, which will allow you to work on your technique without having to get used to a completely new style of board?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-19-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
If you like the Trip,demo an '08 or'09 Lyman 143,or try the 146 Trip.The extra surface area of the 146 might give you the extra pop you are looking for.The HL Marek also comes in the 146 size.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on January 19, 2010)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Lyman is very nice ride
takes a lot of the features from the trip (the best features of somehow IMO) and other popular LF boards

it is a subtle 3 stage and will give a slight bit more straight up style of pop than the trip.
definately one to check out in the LF line
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
All right, thanks for the input. I looked around, and that Lyman board gets lots of good reviews. It looks like I could get the 143 through Evogear for just over $200.00, which is better than I was expecting.

Any other suggestions?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-19-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Bu Coo - I rode my original 2000 Trip until 07. :-) A lot has changed. I love LF and I demoed nearly every 07 board from LF (and a couple from Hyp and Gator) before I settled on the Watson.

The three stage rocker will give you the pop you are looking for but it is very controlled pop, not out of control. Landing tricks is much more forgiving than the Trip since the edges are rounded in-between your feet. Also the spine on the bottom rules for flats landings or casing the wake.

The Lyman is faster but not as poppy. The S3 is nearer to the feel of the Watson but it didn't have that perfect feel to me.

Demo everything you can if possible. Keep in mind that if you demo the shop may apply that money towards your purchase and a 2010 demo board will still be about $100 less.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-19-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
That 143 Lyman will be perfect for what you're looking to do and for your size and budget.

Snatch it up.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-19-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Bu Coo,

I'd like to throw in my vote for the Ronix Viva. The rockerline on the Viva is a Continuous Hybrid rocker, meaning it has just slightly more kink to it than an a "pure" continuous curved rocker. This extra kink gives it a more vertical carry through the wake while maintaing the into-the-flats distance that characterizes most Continuous rocker boards. The board is extremely light, which is great, and comes in a 144 which I ride, even at 6'1 and 180 lbs. They rounded the rails through the main portion of the board to add forgiveness and a bit more play to the board. The rails sharpen towards the tip and tail really giving you a HARD and very fast edge into the wake. This board will give you all the speed you want into the wake, and then give you the ability to push it harder. The bottom also is very clean, no large spine or anyting. This feature helps it ride on top of the water rather than plow through it. It also helps maintain momentum when you land farther into the flats with extra speed giving you less resistance against the water, equaling softer landings.

I love this board, and it's features have really helped me go bigger and increase my consistency. That's just my feeligns on it though. I'd agree with WakeMikey above that Demoing is the best method, try before you buy, however, I wasn't able to Demo the Viva before buying, but I love it.

It's also on sale from Evo, and if you use the promo code DREAM that they have posted, it'll save ya... 20% i think? Check it out!
http://www.evogear.com/outlet/wakeboards/ronix-viva-wakeboard-2009.aspx

Hope this helped!!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-19-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Bu Coo, I also would like to throw in the VIVA. He pretty much described it perfectly, so I don't have anything to add other than I spent all last year on an 09' CSV2 (Dark Core version of the VIVA), and it was the best board I have ever been on, and that's saying something.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
OK, Lyman and Watson. Both of those are in my price range also.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
^ the lyman and watson are both very sick boards, the watson has more vertical pop then the lyman. but i LOVE everything about how the lyman rides and edges, i used to ride my lyman finless (im riding a company board now) but even finless, when you start to edge toward the wake it feels very locked in and holds its edge great. but when its flat, you can slide that thing for days!
and even with the watson finless, i think its more locked in then the lyman with all the fins in it. but you can still slide the watson around very easily though. just a little more info about those two boards. either way you chose to go, both are very fun boards.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-19-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Bu Call Wakesports unlimited or Performance ski and surf and see what they say, they may have some good offers for you.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
That was a wierd double post my computer did. 3 posts above. That was an accident. Thanks for the input so far!
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-19-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
My buddy went from a LF trip to a byerly and like it, then to a Ronix 'One' and rode much better overall. Each step though he was getting a little more pop. You'll be happy though with any of the suggested new boards. That old trip, in my opinion, was hard to get alot of pop out of for me (200# 6'2" also).
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-21-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Thanks all. Leaning towards the Lyman right now. Once Southern California stops feeling like Washington, I'll go demo. Thanks again friends.
Old     (paulvette)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
I know you've wrapped this up now but for what its worth I started wakeboarding 2 years ago here in not so sunny England, now ride 2008 LF Watson and found the 3 stage rocker way better, increased my pop overnight and since tried a few other boards and they all feel subtly different. LF Watson is a good choice for me - it works... PS. why don't you think you'll do inverts, I have been trying the TS backroll in November, not there yet but the point is age isnt a factor (I'm 6'1 and weigh 215lbs) - wish I started 10 years ago though, its great