Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-09-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
is there any board that is super cheap to try out wakesurfing?

None of my buddies have a surf board, and the local placea around here only have $300 + boards and none of them rent.

Would a skimboard work? I see there like $40 locally. Just something to give me an idea if I would like it and want to get into the sport.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-09-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
.....if your talking those super thin things people are using on the beach....then no.

you def need something big and floaty with fins to start.

we got the hyperlite broadcast and its a good beginner board. While we found it interesting to try and something to do when evryone needs a day off.....it doesnt compare to the thrill of wakeboarding.....jmo.

if your ever near scarborough i would let you borrow mine
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-09-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I saw a foam wakesurf board at Dicks Sporting goods. I think it was 140. Not cheap but cheaper than 300
Old     (afwakepilot13)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-12-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Check out the classifieds here, I bought a decent one from the world champion for less than a hundred bucks.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
buy a used one
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-13-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Yes a skim board will work but is not as good as a board designed for wakesurfing.

You can get a new asylum Surf Skate for $240 at www.asylumboardz.com
This board is great for advanced riders but we've also had good success with beginners as well.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-13-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
at west marine they have these obrien things, they look like a boogy board, but you can surf with them. they are like 50 or 100$
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-13-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Craigslist.com
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-13-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
We have put a big fin on a large beach skim board and it worked fine and is actually faster on a wave than some wake specific boards, but it would be tough to learn on. Probably will not work for big guys either.

PM Andy Nintzel - He's getting out of wakesurfing and might give you his old deck!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/712117.html
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-13-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Look for a used broadcast or another board that is notorious for beginner use. You will upgrade through these things quick so there are probably many out there than can be owned for cheap.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
Skim boards actually work great, in fact that's what both of my sons prefer to use. But it would be very hard to learn on one, unless you were a beach skimboarder to begin with.

Costco sells a soft top, semi hard bottom surf board for pretty cheap. They work well for someone learning either behind a boat, or in the ocean.

(Message edited by rio_sanger on August 13, 2009)