Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (coleman)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-10-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
We are new to wakeboarding and want to purchase a cheap one to try it out. I'm 6' and 200lbs and we plan to use a jet ski (Sea Doo GTS) to tow us. Everyone else in our family is lighter. We found a cheap board but its old and we'
re not sure if its the right one to start on. The board is a 1996 Neptune Six - 57" x 15 1/2" dimensions. Any advice would be of great help and really appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-10-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
I'd stay away from the Neptune Six. Great board for its time though.

I'm a huge fan of the Hyperlite Motive. One of the best shapes ever and it's been around so long that you won't pay out of the nose for it.

Get it in a 140. We've used that board for all sizes and it's worked for everyone but really light kids.

Here's a package deal (i.e. with bindings) on eBay for $200.00.

Good luck!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-10-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
I would not skimp on a board. Bindings in my opinion are huge for beginners. You want them to fit properly and be comfy. With that said, you may need more than one board depending on who else is going to be using the board. I can't describe to you enough how important it is that the bindings fit correctly. If they are too tight, the bindings may not release and that could spell big trouble. If they are too loose, it may come off at the wrong time or at the least cause you to develop bad habits while learning board control. I would look at buywake.com, boardersbestbuy.com, and other online shops to see if you can get a deal on some close outs. I would for sure not try to go with a one size fits all board approach, especially if you have children and adults trying to share. I personally would also stick with major brands such as LiquidForce, CWB, Gator, Ronix, Hyperlite, etc. This will ensure that the products are well designed and last you for a good amount of time.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-10-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Most of the cwb wakeboards are very beginner friendly, you could find one that's only a few years old for a really cheap price
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-10-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Motive!
Liquid Force Trip!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-10-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
The CWB Faction, CWB Kink, CWB Flame and CWB Pure are all great board to start on. You can grow with them all, but they are beginner friendly. I have ridden these shapes over the years and I have had people of all skill sets on these boards with a lot of success. I agree with Mike's statements above about buying a decent board/bindings combo. Uncomfortable bindings can really take away from how much you enjoy the sport. I have ridden bindings from most of the companies and they all have good stuff available. If you have a local shop, try them out, they will likely be helpful. Otherwise, check ebay and the Wakeworld advertisers. I like boardersbestbuy.com and boardersmall.com (same company) and also there is a link of one on wakeworld about one of the big shops that is closing and liquidating stuff. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/652995.html?1231634055 Their online stores are ultimate watersports and boarders paradise.
Old     (old_timer)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-10-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
A little off topic, but I've never bought into the beginner vs. advanced wakeboard. Personally I've been on several so called beginner boards that felt squirrely as hell. The most stable, forgiving boards I've ridden have always been the pro style boards geared toward the better rider. I still remember riding a "beginner" hyperlite board and thinking this was a really difficult sport, well I finally broke down and bought a TFD and could not believe the immediate improvement I had in every aspect of wakeboarding. Sometimes I think inferior boards get labeled "beginner" just because they cost less.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-10-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
^^^^^Agreed.

The Motive is the exception to this rule. It is an awesome board. I have three friends, two of whom are excellent riders (whirlys and scarecrows), that ride this board.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-11-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
Make sure you look at Bindings....if your feet aren't "happy"...doesn't matter how great the board is. The Motive / State packages with Foundation or Sprint boots are great sellers...as are Ronix Vaults / divides. If you can give me the weight range of riders and shoe size ranges..I"ll offer some more suggestions for you. Good luck in your search. Doing your homework will make the difference between having a great time on the water and a bad experience.
Bill @ perfski.com