Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-28-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Anybody with info on any other boat manufactures warranty other then MC?

Well,I'm really disappointed to say that MC's warranty is NOTHING I thought it was.
When I bought my boat in April of 2004,I was told that EVERYTHING was under warranty for 3 years.
I got the boat and like every MC I seen it had some minor gelcoat cracks.I went to my dealer and asked to get them fixed but the manager at the time told me to let them develop a bit more and to take my boat in after they get bigger.Well,I waited more then I wanted just b/c I got REALLY busy and after 3 years I finally decided to get them fixed.
Since my boat is up at Disco Bay,I took it to Norcal MC.After some investigation by their part,they told me that there was no record of me complaining about the gelcoat cracks and was told that it would come out of MY pocket.So I calmy asked what the estimate was and to my disbelief,I was told $3,200.00.
They instructed me that they did all they can and for me to call MC in Tennessee since the owner may have more pull.
I called confidently thinking they will take care of my problem.I talked to Bill Gateas(sp)?,Greg Crawerly(sp)? and pretty much everybody that has some kind of pull or MC team owners and was told that MC DOES NOT have ANY gelcoat crack warranty once you take it off the lot for any cosmetic issues....not even a month,week or a day for that matter.This came right out of the horses mouth.Now I blame NorCal MC for not realizing that few actually might be structural since they are getting bigger and bigger but they instructed me that they been in the business for 25 years and they know better.
Now I'm thinking that unless this is a regular thing with every manufacturer(not covering gelcoat cracks at all)my next boat is definitely not going to be an MC.

Can somebody with a CC,malibu and every other manufacturer put me to be in peace and say that this it what it is since MC in Tennessee told me that EVERY manufacturer will NOT warranty gelcoat cracks that are cosmetic.

Sorry for such a long post,I did try to make it as short as possible but there is so much more that I'm upset about and very disappointed at MC all together.

Maybe it's time for me to start looking at an EPIC.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
I have had gelcoat cracks repaired under warranty on several of my Malibu's.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-28-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
Skiers choice (Supra) stepped up for me on my old boat. At the time the boat was about 6yrs old. I talked with my dealer and warranty department and it was done. It did take a couple of months as it went back to manufacture for the repair at NO COST.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
Dang, and to think the troubles that Ronia had on her 2 yeard old SC.
Old     (t5_steve)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
Sounds kind of fishy to me. This past weekend, I skied with a guy who owns an '03 M/C ProStar 209 and his gelcoat developed cracks well over a year after he purchased it. His dealer and MC worked together and ended up completely replacing his lower and upper hulls under warranty. However, this was after attempting to just fix the cracks, but the black color didn't match, so they did a full replacement.

I'd talk to someone else at Mastercraft. You might also try posting your situation on the Mastercraft owners website http://www.tmcowners.com/. Good luck!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
Wait, How did Ryan's barb wire xstar get fixed. Didn't it sit in the shop for months waiting for gelcoat repair.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-28-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
Big Ed-That sucks man...Have you checked your manual in regards to warranty on the Gelcoat? I'm sure you have, but just checking.

I'm not sure how their warranty works, but I've had a few friends with MC's and gelcoat cracks and they were covered.

Where are the cracks?

I had some stress cracks cared for on Supra's in the past and some buddies who have had them on Moomba's, were also taken care of.

Skier's Choice warrants their gelcoat for one year from the orignal purchase date. The 3 year bow to stern warranty offered at past boat shows also covers gelcoat.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Tige will warranty them up to a year with now questions asked as long as they see pics of it. after the year it takes a little more convincing. what we do at our shop is take pics of them right away so we have them on record so even if its a year or so after the warranty is up we have proof of it and get it covered. sorry to hear about that man. that seems like another reason to not spend that extra 15 grand or so on a MC
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Ed,

Open an account at tmcowners.com and post your stuff there. They seem more receptive to doing something. Did you get any pics of the cracks to post? If not, let me know and I'll get some for you.

Gordon
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Steve,do you know anybody else I can call at the MC factory?

I thought I talked to everyone and their mom and keep getting the same story....they sound like a damn broken record!

Naw,that is what they tell me at MC....CHECK YOUR MANUAL and it will say in there that there is NO warranty on gelcoat cracks.
Still didn't but should I have ram sacked the manual before buying the boat?
I guess I just trust too many people thinking they will be trustworthy like me but my mom is right.....stop measuring people with your measuring stick,they got to earn your trust.I guess I'm still learning that part.For some reason I just think that everybody should be trustworthy and straight forward like me.

Ryan,definitely another reason NOT to spend extra money on an MC tho I think they still got the best wakes and boats just not gelcoat and definitely not warranty!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
yeah I was thinking about doing that Gordon and no I didn't bring my camera last time I came up.Silly rabbit could have gotten good pics and not just of my boat.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-29-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
2007 Supra Owners Manual states on page 81..

"The limited warranty applies to the gel coat for a period of one year (The "One-Year Warranty Period") from the original date of purchase by the First Owner (The "Original Purchase Date").

You can find this same information on page 77 of the 2007 Moomba Owners Manual as well.

McFly
www.waterskiboatsdallas.com
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-29-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
CC for my 06 SAN -

Gel Coat Three (3) Year Non-transferable Limited Warranty:

Correct Craft, Inc. warrants to the original user or purchaser, whichever comes first, of each new Correct Craft boat that the gel coat, under normal authorized use, shall remain free from defect in material and workmanship (including blisters and cracks not caused by negligence, impact or collision) for a period of three (3)
years from date of delivery. NOTE: Gel coat maintenance is the owner’s responsibility.

The "Lifetime" and "Transferable" warranties do not cover the gelcoat nor any other components fastened or applied to the hull or deck. Gelcoat discoloration, blisters, or bubbles and cracks }}are not considered structural defects.
Old    bocephus            08-29-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
On my '06 CC I developed some cracking around one of the tower arms that had come loose. The dealer removed the tower, repaired the area, and replaced the tower all under warranty. They then sent out a CC wide bulletin regarding the possible loosening of the tower and started double bolting all towers on both new and old boats that come in for service or at the factory. The area has since become noticeably discolored and they noted it in my latest service receipt and will refinish the area over the winter when the fiberglass shop isn't so busy. It's in writing though and my dealer is awesome!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-29-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
West Coast Correct Craft took care of my gell coat cracks 5 years down the road. My boat 02 Air had a 5 year warranty. It was up last Oct. I brought it to them and they fixed it no problem
free of charge.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-29-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
I think that some of these problems develop when you're working with a dealer that isn't your original selling dealer. I know that boat warranties are kind of a sketchy deal. I'd make a call to your selling dealer to see if they'd be willing to cover it. You never know.

Incidently... Every boat I've ever owned has developed gel coat cracks somewhere. Usually around where the tower mounts to the deck. I don't worry too much unless they cause a major cosmetic concern. My Sanger had them running the whole length of the boat where the V met the sides. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I had lead running the whole length of the boat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-29-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
FWIW... I sold that boat before I found out how Sanger would handle it. I do know that they wouldn't cover my tower that was cracking. I was pretty bummed. It was only a 2 year old boat.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-29-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
That is a bunch of crap. My dealer has left a bad taste in my mouth. So I decided to get the factory involved slowly my issues are being resolved. I would think MC would make it right and if they don't then the dealer needs to stand behind the boat and make it right. I would keep pushing them.

None of my issues have been jel coat.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Had gel coat problems, not cracks, several months after taking delivery of my new Sanger. They ended up replacing the entire hull under warranty.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-29-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Ed that is Greg Clowers at the plant had the pleasure of talking with him before. You are right Mastercraft's warranty sucks. If you read the manual, there are clauses in there everywhere to get out of being responsible for anything. On the other hand, I currently have a malibu, and I am pretty sure the warranty on the gel is three years for spider cracks. However, the hull structural warranty is lifetime. I have heard of Malibu fixing hulls that were several years old, with no questions asked. I have had a few Malibus and there service has been great. Mastercraft on the other hand did nothing and basically said when you buy it is yours. Sounds like you are getting the same treatment. I think that is pretty standard for MC.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Evan,I did talk to my selling dealer and they instructed me to talk to Greg Clowers before I tow my boat 400 miles and end up with the same crap.I was not too happy with their answer to say the least but this is the only time I have ever been disappointed in anything MC did for me.I also told them that if this does not get resolved,I will NOT be getting another MC and they simply said OK.I just think that being such a loyal MC owner,the least they could do is make me happy especially after dropping 50+k.My buddy has a 1967 seaswirl and no gel coat issues whatsoever.MC said,it is not he same gelcoat which I replied for them to take notes.
Eventually this is most likely going to happen(towing my boat to Cal Skier....400 miles away) b/c I will be damned if I have to pay anything out of my pocket to get this fixed.MC in Tennessee is saying that they will cover $2,000.00(for good gesture and I should be happy)of the estimate but for a boat that developed cracks after a short period of time and has been in the garage for most of it's life is unexceptable.The whole boat looks brand new except for the cracks and now they are REALLY noticeable.

Matt,please don't be right but you sound to be well informed.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on August 29, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-29-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
Shoulda bought a Malibu...
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-29-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
If tennessee says they will cover up to 2k in fiberglass work id suggest looking for alternate shops.

Dealership are generally very high compared to local shops.

I recommend Pro Fiberglass in Livermore does amazing work, Ive had two boats repaired their. One on the bottom of the hull where I hit a rock and the second on my top deck where I dropped a board rack on my deck (ouch) both chips where repaired and you can't even tell any work was done.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-29-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
This is what happens when companies get too big. It no longer matters if you are a loyal customer, because there is someone behind you waiting to buy their product.
Old    bocephus            08-29-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   

quote:

By "G" (grant_west) on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 3:04 pm:

West Coast Correct Craft took care of my gell coat cracks 5 years down the road. My boat 02 Air had a 5 year warranty. It was up last Oct. I brought it to them and they fixed it no problem
free of charge.

Do I see a theme forming??
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
That just sucks Ive seen some make a stink about it on Tmcowners like others have said, and they have eventually got taken care of. Hopefully this will happen for u. They told me that the new 08 boats gelcoat is only one year warranty it makes me wonder how they are 10-20k more than other boats and they're warranties arent better (i.e. skiers choice 1 year, 20k less)....
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
Had cracks on my buddy's Bu...dealer took care of them at the oil change. All under warranty.

IMO, sometimes it is just about eating some money and righting the customer. I am sure that some of the reputable companies would do you right not because they see $$$ in the future, but it is the right thing to do. I think that we are blessed in Dallas to have some of the top dealers in the nation here that keep their customers not by the fact that they sell X boat, but by maintaining a level of customer service and satisfaction.

Earlier Mcfly posted and I can attest that he is such an example of a dealer. Very respected both as a rider and a business man.

Good luck Ed.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-29-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
Five years on the Wakecraft from gel to vinyl, 3 years on PCM stuff, lifetime on hull etc.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
which dealers are dealing the wakecrafts or doing the warranty for them. i had a customer that came into my shop the other day looking for some parts but didn't know where to point them besides back to the factory.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
Tyler,with those types of comments and you have a place to tell me about MY comments and yet you cry when I joke with you or give you a hard time about your boat JOKING mind you.all you are looking for is a rise out of me and joking has nothing to do with you silly ass comments.......just for your info,I would rather deal with gel coat cracks then buy a Malibu.To this day,I still haven't seen a boat with more problems then a Malibu.From little things to big thing,Malibu takes the cake with issues.

I was more looking for constructive post that can maybe help,and buying a boat that sells more boats the MC,I'm just looking for trouble at that point.

Nate,one of my biggest problems is that they are telling me that it has to get fixed by a MC dealer or no go.

thanks to everybody for their calming comments and their help.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on August 29, 2007)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
^^^great job dude^^^
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
Any Gel Coat Cracks that I have had on any of my Supra's have ALL been fixed under warranty. Havent been many, and maybe my dealer is just top notch and fixes these issues w/out a warranty claim, but they always get fixed...

Sean
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
Ed, I have several friends that work at the mc plant. They tell me that they get customers in there quiet often raising cane because mc refuses to fix their boats. The managers just smile and say tough luck. One of my friends works in the repair department and says the new ones are worse than the old ones, but says they rarely fix anything over a few months old.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
By the way, I have been there. I know it sucks, best of luck to you.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
Yep, my three malibu's have been one issue after anotherNot.

Sorry to read something like this from any boat owner, but I am not shocked. What's funny you are looking for sympathy, then you slam another boat brand, now that's like the pot calling the kettle black.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Wow, this isn't comforting for MC owners. Big Ed, the reason they want you to get the work done at the dealer is probably because the quote they gave you was $2,000 higher than what the work costs. So the original quote of $3200 becomes $1200, the dealer makes their money, you think you got a deal, and MC doesn't pay anything. Just a guess.

I hate reading threads like this, it makes me not want to buy a new boat.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Taken from the Mastercraft 2007 owners manual found here http://www.mastercraftboats.com/manuals/2007%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Gel Coat. Because environmental operating conditions and customer maintenance/care considerations are
factors that have a significant effect on the condition and the durability of the gel coat that is applied to all MasterCraft
boats at the factory, MasterCraft does not provide, and hereby expressly disclaims, any warranty on the
gel coat covering the exterior surfaces of the boat. Therefore, cosmetic issues relating to the appearance of the
gel coat such as blisters, scratches, discoloration or fading are not covered by this Limited Warranty. However,
in the event that the gel coat is materially damaged due to a covered defect to the boat’s Structural Components,
the damage to the gel coat will be covered under this Limited Warranty in connection with the warranty repair
under Section 1.1 hereof. Any materials defects in the gel coat that are determined by MasterCraft, in its sole discretion,
to have been caused by the application/installation of the gel coat at the factory, will be covered under
this Limited Warranty, but will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. All communications regarding any issues
relating to gel coat should be addressed with the MasterCraft authorized Dealership.
Old    freefly70            08-30-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Wow a base $45k and up boat and you get treated that way. Not good at all. I think I will go see the Malibu and Moomba dealer today instead. Funny how so many MC owners slam moomba and skierschoice but it seems from the few posts they stand behind their product a bit better than the Mercedes of the industry.
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
Such a sad scenario, MC cost more than other boats but yet they cover less in their warranty. That is a product I would like to have.

What do the other warranty's cover? CC? Bu? Epic?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Shane,not looking for any sympathy and if I slam other boats,it is definitely NOT when they are having issues....BIG difference.

I'm not going to get into it with you but Malibu would be last on my list solely b/c of all the problems my friends are having with them.I'm glad you are on your 3rd and have nothing but good to say about them,a little more comforting since all I hear about is problems.Malibu makes one sexy looking boat but I just can't imagine paying 50k and not being completely satisfied with the wake tho I never rode behind one that is completely slammed which might change my opinion about them.Come next demo day,I just might demo a Malibu and bring all my weight with me.

Leo,me and you think exactly alike and this is what I expressed to the manufacturer and Norcal MC which Norcal MC got mad and told me never to bring my boat there again in almost exactly those words.That I would have to service my boat elsewhere which how dirty my boat was after my buddy picked it up for me and after the service it was actually overheating,I would say that I wouldn't have then look at my boat from a distance much less lay their hands on it from this point on.They did not charge me for the service tho and I guess that that is their way of excusing the situation.They were going to charge me $700 for a 100 hour service which made me believe that their estimate of $3,200 for the gel coat was inflated like you stated.Usually it is no more then $300-$350 for the service anywhere else I took it to this point.

waterfreak,yup I read the manual this morning and that is what it says.I guess I'm pretty screwed if my dealer doesn't step up to the plate which I'm still hopeful.
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
CC Covers everything and the gelcoat just short of abuse for 3 year. Page 191

http://www.wakeboarding.com/documents/Manuals/VDrive_2007_Web.pdf

(Message edited by texasmasterc on August 30, 2007)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Agreed Ed. You feel the same way about Malibu, as I do about MC

Then again as is always stated on WakeWorld, the dealer makes a huge difference.

My dealer is Waterski America, and they are frequently dealer of the year, and extremely well respected.

Best of luck getting it resolved.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
If you have an mc look in your manual it is ridiculus. They try to get out of everything. I won't lie I used to be an MC man, but after dealing with them on boat issues I have changed my mind, and wouldn't piss on them if their gums were on fire. All boats have issues, that is just the nature of the beast. The difference is, malibu will stand behind their product (not sure about other brands) and mc will laugh and tell you to go screw yourself. Which one would you buy? You have to remember the people that made MC into a power are long gone. It now belongs to a whole different kind of people.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
"not looking for any sympathy and if(hahaha) I slam other boats,it is definitely NOT when they are having issues....BIG difference."
So it's now ok to slam boats when they seem to be flawless but you shouldn't when they're having problems. hmmm interesting. how about just don't slam boats at all ever Ed.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
I think im going to have to rethink before we purchase since that is what we were looking at. (MC that is)
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
Love my MC X2 and have had 3 warranty items done without problems. It comes down to your relationship with your dealer regardless of make.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Yea, but something like gelcoat cracking within the first few years is just crazy. And neither the dealer or factory will take care of it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Tyler,why don't you delete your comment like you did your last one since you're unsure of what you say on here.I'm/was an MC guy and when people asked what boat to get,ofcorse I would say MC and say true things that I thought about other boats that I feel since it is a free board.I said IF since it can be interpreted any which way you want to but NEVER did I jump on a Malibu thread,Supra thread or any other thread that they are having issues and say that they should have bought an MC.Obviously you don't have any idea and see no difference in that and I'm sorry you can't comprehend that.I guess blame your mommy and daddy for not making you a smarter dude.

I had a few warranty stuff that was not even under warranty that got fixed.Obviously they just can't get the gel coat right therefore the BS in the manual.

Leo,my gel coat cracked waaay before a few years,I just got tired of looking at it and wanted to get it fixed.It actually had one crack when I took it off the lot and now developed into 3 from that one.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-30-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
This is shocking to me. First I can not believe how many peoples boats are having gel cracking and then the fact that the companies will not stand behind the product afterwords just blows my mind.

I have a 1982 boat and the only gel cracking I have was my own fault. I even added an aftermaket tower and have not seen a crack.

What do you have to do to get quality? Evidently buying the most expensive does not get it.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I agree there should be no gel coat cracking within the first few years at all with any brand. That is unacceptable. The fact MC doesn't step up to the plate is sad and would piss me off. They should stand by their product regardless. I had a small crack near the muffler tip on my MC X2 about 3 inches long and the dealer warrantied the repair without a second question.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Every manufacturer has it's issues. Not one company is immune. I have friends with all different makes/models and not one of them is perfect. All of them have had their warranty moments with various degrees of satisfaction.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Is it worth the extra money for the Mastercraft? Since the warranty doesnt seem any better than the rest.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
My 2000 X-Star is spider crack city on the fiberglass underneath the seats. It's no big deal because they're cosmetic, and I can't see them with the seats in place anyway. I had no idea it would cost that much to fix gelcoat scratches though; I don't want to think what it would be for hull spider cracks.

When we had a VLX, I know Waterski America did gelcoat work under warranty (luckily we never had any issues with our's). I don't know what other companies do, but that's pretty lame to not warranty something the owner has almost no ability to prevent.

Good luck.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
canecorso

I suggest that you test drive the other brands that your interested in as well as the MC and you make that decision. Every boat has positive qualities and some negative. I chose MC for my reasons and was willing to pay the money for it. I did a lot of research when I was buying a boat and to be honest this is the first time I have heard of them not replacing something under warranty. A friend had their whole boat replaced due to spider cracks on a 2003 prostar. They literally took out the engine and all running gear and put it in a new hull.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
By rG (canecorso) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:13 pm:

Is it worth the extra money for the Mastercraft? Since the warranty doesnt seem any better than the rest.

From what I am reading, I wouldn't say that the "MC warranty doesn't seem any better than the rest", I would say it looks to be on the lower end of the standard.

Big Ed, I am sorry to hear of your current issues and I hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-30-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
Why is the quality in the boat industry so poor. It seems that alot of people have the attitude that a boat is supposed to break or have flaws and that is why you need a good dealer. To me it seems absurd that it is common for a $40k boat to have gel cracking or other flaws, even if it does get fixed for free.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
I think MC warranty is pretty standard in the industry if not better.

MC warranty overview.

Deck, hull, liner, and stringers (all structural components) is warrantied for life.

Other component parts (excluding engine and transmission) 1 year.

Engine and trans standard 3 year from Indmar.

Trailer and parts 1 year.

and finally the gel coat as already posted above.
Gel Coat. Because environmental operating conditions and customer maintenance/care considerations are
factors that have a significant effect on the condition and the durability of the gel coat that is applied to all MasterCraft
boats at the factory, MasterCraft does not provide, and hereby expressly disclaims, any warranty on the
gel coat covering the exterior surfaces of the boat. Therefore, cosmetic issues relating to the appearance of the
gel coat such as blisters, scratches, discoloration or fading are not covered by this Limited Warranty. However,
in the event that the gel coat is materially damaged due to a covered defect to the boat’s Structural Components,
the damage to the gel coat will be covered under this Limited Warranty in connection with the warranty repair
under Section 1.1 hereof. Any materials defects in the gel coat that are determined by MasterCraft, in its sole discretion,
to have been caused by the application/installation of the gel coat at the factory, will be covered under
this Limited Warranty, but will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. All communications regarding any issues
relating to gel coat should be addressed with the MasterCraft authorized Dealership.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
I totally agree Jon, why do people always seem to stick up for the make/model of their boat or specific brands no matter what is wrong? I just think some are in denial (in dream land) not wanting to accept that they have problems. These are expensive items the mfr needs to stand up not say talk to the dealership.

By the way what a way to get out of anything, MC sure used legal advise to tighten all open loops within their warranty manual. Furthermore they just sold the company, whew wonder what else is going to change?}
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
rG Canecorso

I assume you are reffering to me. I have already stated no boat regardless of manufacturer should have spider cracks or any other defects several years out. That is unacceptable.

Furthermore if you look at all the other manufacturers they have the exact same wording in their warranty statements as well. I am simply giving info to those who are making broad assertions about a particular brand. Yes there are issues with all brands regardless of what they cost. Not defending simply stating..... so yes it is important to have a good relationship with your dealer as they are the ones who will be resolving said problems.

(Message edited by waterfreak on August 30, 2007)
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
CC< SC and Bu Warranty against cracks in the Gel. So no MC's warranty is not on Par or standard.

Their warranty reminds me of the commercial where they guy has Brad cut into his car but the owners policy only covers if the name was a full name and not the abbreviated name.

(Message edited by texasmasterc on August 30, 2007)
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
The Warranty On Malibu is 2 Years against spidercracking, discoloration and fade.

The warranty does not apply to colored hulls

Malibu is Lifetime On All fiberglass/composite
3 Year Bow To stern. with the exception of the gelcoat as stated above
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I thought Malibu was 1 year on gel coat spider cracks.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10371
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Either way it is better than MC's substandard warranty.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Wouldn't it be in the dealer's best interest to warranty the work any way? Otherwise they will lose a loyal customer.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
LOL..... all Malibu hulls are colored. So basically they are saying the gel coat warranty only applies to white hulls. Interesting.
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
White or grey to be exact....but you have to pay the $2000 to have a colored hull.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Leo- Yes it would be... if they cared at all about selling you or anyone another boat. Point is they have a line of people to buy so they don't really have to care.
Old     (malibu07)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Your problem is were you purchased the boat. You should of bought it from a company that has been in business for a while. It is the dealer not the manufacture.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Chris it sounds like he talked to the people higher up past the dealer. I know Greg Clower is head of customer relations at MC and is in TN. If he got that repsonse from Greg then it really is sad. I have talked to him before and he is usually very helpful. He is the goto person if any customer has problems with their boat beyond the dealer.

(Message edited by waterfreak on August 30, 2007)
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
^^^^^^
Yes, but somewhere along the line the dealer has to stop eating warranty in the interest of keeping the customer happy. Happy customers are great sales tools, but spending cash to cover warranty work that is the manufacturers responsibility will put a strain on even the healthiest of dealers.

I think what not everyone realizes that good dealers with good, happy customers usually get plenty of support from their manufacturers. Sketchy dealers that generate all kinds of customer service complaints back at the factory usually might not be as well received when the time to authorize "good will" warranty jobs comes around.

The fact that one of the MC guys in this post was told by the dealer to "never come back" tells me that he is not using the "flies with honey" approach to problem resolution.

We have all heard stories from every single builder that has honored warranty past it's time, and also heard stories from pissed off owners about the same builders not helping them. That should tell us that it's not just the black and white in the warranty statement, but customer/dealer/factory relationships are just as big, if not bigger, of a factor.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
And again, everyone is overlooking that this is a 3 year old, maybe 4, boat. Just like Ronia, how long is the company supposed to stretch the warranty??

Was NorCal(then SkiWorld) the selling dealer?? Did you live in NorCal and travel to SoCal to get a better deal? If so, it's no wonder NorCal isn't jumping up and down to help.

Either way, the boat is well past the warranty period on the gel.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Did you read above? They promised him earlier that they would fix the problems later in the off season.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Yes I read that he waited 3 YEARS to address the issue. I don't want to sound harsh, but if these cracks were this big of an issue, why wait 3 years to follow up on them?? I have to think that the resolution would have been different when the boat was less than a year old.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Promise in writing or verbal......lesson learned, always get it in writing. I have been the worst and been burned many times. If they won't put it in writing then it means nothing.

(Message edited by Rson on August 30, 2007)
Old     (malibu07)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
I use to work for a mastercraft dealer and we got the word from mastercraft several times to repair cosmetic stress cracks under warranty after several years. It is the dealers call and mastercraft always says no about any repair.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Not to mention it sounds like the verbal was from Ski World, who is long dead. NorCal has no responsibility to honor Ski World commitments. If the verbal was from the purchasing dealer in SoCal, then bust his balls on it. Either way, you waited too long to get back on the issue. If I hadn't heard from you in 3 years, I'd assume the issue was forgotten, the boat sold, or something else.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^
good point.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Big Ed. Not sure if this has been answered but where are the "cracks". I see you purchased in 2004 (not sure if you have an 04 or 05) but the following is from the 2004 Mastercraft manual and it sure looks like to me the stress cracks are covered. I would hate to think that they are going to get pissy because of the timing of your claim. Did you tell them that the original dealer said to wait??

Gel coat specific section of 2004 Mastercraft manual:

(b) Gel Coat—All exterior gel coat surfaces are covered against structural defects under the Limited Warranty and as listed under gel coat manufacturer guidelines. Due to the environmental and customer care effects on gel coat, cosmetic concerns must be addressed with your Customer Service representative at the dealership prior to communication with the factory. Examples are blisters, scratches, discoloration or fade issues. Stress crazing is not covered but will be reviewed as a customer good-will item on a case-by case basis. Any issue determined to be an application/installation item will be reviewed in advance to determine warranty coverage or not. Any gel coat issues will require digital, video or 35mm photos that clearly show the reported issue.

The Limited Warranty on the Structural Components set forth in Section 1(a) above does not cover or include the gel coat, including any discoloration, blisters, bubbles or cracks of the gel coat, or any other components fastened or applied to the hull or deck. Furthermore, the Limited Warranty set forth in Section 1 (including all subsections) above does not cover the following:

(a) damage caused by misuse, negligence, accident, collision or impact with any object;

(k) damage to the gel coat due to the owner’s failure to reasonably maintain the gel coat finish, including, without limitation, discoloration of the gel coat, as this condition is caused by improper care and maintenance; however, fading and chalking of the gel coat above the water line will be covered, provided the gel coat has been appropriately maintained;

(m) damage to gel coat caused by improper support of boat on davits, hoist system or boat lift of any kind;

(n) in-water storage without proper barrier coat and bottom paint;
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-30-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I thought that MC had resolved that. I know it was an issue with the earlier tower designs, but I thought that the new towers fixed that problem. I don't understand why MC won't fix your boat, it seems that for a few bucks, they could build some brand loyalty.

I had a similar situation with my Wakesetter. I ordered my boat site unseen, and at the time Malibu was only offering black towers. I wanted my tower grey to match the boat, so I had to order my boat tower delete, and have the dealer install it. Two weeks after receiving my boat, the boat developed spider cracks around the tower mounts. The dealer fixed the boat, and the cracks reappeared. The techs at the dealer were in touch with ECI (Skylon) to find out what was causing the cracks. ECI took the position that the tower was improperly installed. Dealer said the tower base pads were off slightly. Malibu intervened and shipped the boat to TN to be examined. Turns out the dealer was correct and the mounting feet were slightly off. ECI who was unresponsive to myself and the dealer replaced the defective parts, and Malibu fixed the boat. The boat was two years old when it was repaired. The boat is now in it's 6th season, and everything is still as good as new.

People can come here and bash all they want, but the long and the short of it is, how does the manufacturer stand behind their product. In my experience, Malibu always has stood behind their product, and done so in a manner that was least cumbersome to me. By doing so, I have a hard time looking at any other manufacturers product.

By the way, the only problem that I have ever had with any of my Malibu's was the tower issue. All of my boats have run great, and performed as advertised.

Ed, good luck in your fight.
Old    walt            08-30-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
Ed,

I remember seeing those cracks a few years ago so they must be bigger by now.

That sucks that MC isn't standing by their product. It's to bad they don't know how much love you have shown them on this forum over the years.

Hopefully the will do the right thing and fix the problem.