Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-15-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
Do you ride with tools? Not losers, but actual tool kits. If so, how elabrate of tool kits are you using? Metric & SAE? and special tools? How much could you realy repair on the water?
I need to get dailed in and looking at suggestion for what everone is packing.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
I bought a mechanics tool set that I have stashed in the boat. It is nothing special, just something I picked up at Wal Mart. We have worked on the boat at the dock before and you would be surprised what you can get done when everyone is standing around waiting to board.
Old    mendo247            07-15-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
I pack a tool box packed with tools. One of my regulars has his own mechanical business, I wont hesitate to put his arse to work if we break down and i dont want him to have any excuse so i have pliers, wrenches, sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, nut drivers etc etc and most importantly DUCT TAPE and CHICKEN WIRE!!!! An old Mill Rite told me you can fix anything with Duct Tape and Chicken wire lol
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
I do not take much. If the boat breaks then it probably needs to be out of the water anyway. I do carry a tool box with a few things: multitool I got at Lowes (screwdrivers and sockets all-in-one), pliers, needle nose locking pliers with a spare impeller, one 8mm ratcheting wrench for all of the clamps and the impeller housing, quart of oil, couple of rags, small can of WD40, little bottle of "personal lubricant" for the impeller and well you know, small torch for melting the end of ropes. Oh, I do carry a battery jump starter which saved us when our battery started to crap out.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2008, 10:34 PM Reply   
Jumper cables, multi-screwdriver, socket set, pliers, electrical tape, spare prop kit, spare impeller, quart of oil, quart of Dextron, etc.

No point in letting something simple ruin a day or weekend on the water.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-15-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
I always carry a small voltmeter/ohmmeter, electrical tape, prop kit, wireties, and my leatherman pulse.
That'll find or fix most anything.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
This is a good thread, I need to get some electrical tape, wire ties and a quart of oil.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-16-2008, 12:33 AM Reply   
i have a philup's in the back right next to nuit juice to tighten up your bindings and that it, oh and a bottle opener in the glove box. i aint fixing shisatt on the water. thats what a 6 year warranty is for!! that and im always within a quick tow back to disco where one of my boyz is also the best marine mechanic i know.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
I usually ride with both. I keep a tool kit up under my the driver side foot well and there's usually at least 2 tools riding in the boat
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Im a big believer in Murphys Law and have a tool for pretty much everything on my boat. I also have sockets that fit the spare tire on my trailer since you cant get a regular lug nut "4 star" in there.

I even carry a 9 ton jack in my truck don't know if my stock truck jack would lift the boat and trailer also don't wont to find out either!
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
I carry some small tools in the boat.

The big tools usually follow behind the boat on jet skis...
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       07-16-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
I carry a small tool bag with screwdrivers, wrenches, hacksaw, tape, etc. Better to have and need not, than need and have not.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-16-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
i keep only a small tool kit since i live on the lake and "should" be able to get a tow if something major happens. I keep 3/8" - 5/8" combination wrenches, multi screwdriver (small and larger phillips/slotted), large channel lock pliers, rags, zip ties, and a custom made speedo de-clogger...
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-16-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Adjustable wrench, regular and needle nose pliers, wrenches, electrical tape, zip ties, knife and spare fuses.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
This is a good thread. No point in typing everything I bring, as most all of it's been said above. I have seen a few ideas though that will be added to the tool kit.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-16-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Why wouldn't you carry tools in the boat?

I have a Craftsman toolset with 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet sets, a standard wrench set, an assortment of allen keys, and all the tools needed to change a prop.

Even if your boat doesn't break you can help the sucker that went out on the water unprepared.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have a small tool kit in the boat, but I also live on the lake. If I trailered, I would have a much bigger one!
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-16-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Hell yes, even though my boat is new, I still have a tool kit on board. Cheap $20 kit from wal mart... Has like 110 pieces in it and works fine when I have needed it. Usually just to tighten a screw on some bindings or something like that.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have a small tool box that has...
Screw drivers
pliers
adjustable wrench
electrical tape
hose clamps
prop puller
spare belt
spare impeller
oil
Allen keys
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-16-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
I take what bcrider takes except for the prop puller and I take oil for everything.

My friends use to always make fun of me until they always had to ask to use my tools because they where broken down. The cost was beer to barrow the tools. Now everyone has tools on the lake.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
^^^and your stuck buying your own beer
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-16-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
I keep a tool kit, two props, puller and most important a battery powered vacuum to pick after all the slobs
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-16-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
They still don't bring an extra impeller though That's going to be big time beer.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
At Xmas time Sears has SUPER-killer deals on the 100+ kits that come with a case and everything for around 60$. Can't beat that at all! I've used it numerous times-always on other people's boats
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
I take a tool kit out on our boat, most of the cheap tools I had are either broken, or rusty, or both (Chinese steel sucks) but we've usually got a couple of spanners, a crescent spanner or 2, screw drivers of all sizes and types, pliers. Since we don't have a dealer warranty or anything like that we have to fix everything that goes wrong and she has some issues now and then, like vacuum hoses popping off the carb, and radiator hoses blowing off the radiator... easy stuff to fix but a pain in the azz without a screw driver. We had to use a fishing knife one day cause we didn't have anything else, dodgy stuff.

Also every time we go out I take about 20 litres of fresh water (since we ride in salt and have closed cooling, in case I need to refill the radiator) it doubles as movable ballast for getting the boat sitting level.
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-16-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
Small collection of the common stuff everyone listed.

Go to the Army Navy store and get an ammo can to store them........They're waterproof and cheap.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-16-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
I carry the "basic" common stuff in the boat.

The items that I keep that have not been listed are:
Flash light
knife

I normally have tools in the truck to do most repairs.
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
This is great informantion. I have a cheep wrench kit and allen kit, but I need to add the pliers and electrical tape.

A lot of you have stated that you have an extra belt, impellar, an prop. Did you go out and buy a spare just in case, or did you replace with regular maintance and keep the used one on board as a back-up?
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
a mechanics tool set, a serrated folding knife, some swim goggles in case i catch a line in the prop(knock on wood). Did you folks get the extra prop/prop puller after a bad experience or should i get one just in case?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-17-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Great suggestions above. I have a cheap tool kit very similar to this, with which you can fix just about anything on the water. I use it a couple times a year, and never had a problem with it. No sense leaving good tools in a boat. http://www.autobarn.net/140piectools.html

I also carry a spare prop kit, spare hull plugs, knife, diving mask, impeller, belt, duct and electrical tape, some wire, WD40, all oils, a little plastic organizer box full of screws / electrical connectors / hose clamps / etc, and a spare ballast pump which can also work as a bilge pump if you're sinking.

I have fixed many things on the water over the years, and never once had to be towed in TFG.

A big nice first-aid kit is also a must IMO.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
By neil yelland (nyelland) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:15 pm:

This is great informantion. I have a cheep wrench kit and allen kit, but I need to add the pliers and electrical tape.

A lot of you have stated that you have an extra belt, impellar, an prop. Did you go out and buy a spare just in case, or did you replace with regular maintance and keep the used one on board as a back-up?

I went out and purchased new stuff for replacement. I always buy 2-3 impellers at a time when I order them and an extra belt from NAPA or somewhere is cheap.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/207532.html