Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2005, 6:18 AM Reply   
I am trying to figure out where to place my batteries in the boat. I am planning on putting in two of the blue top batteries. Here is a pic of where I want to mount them, the battery box is where I would put it. I would put the other one in the same spot but on the other side of the boat. Does anyone know for sure if I can cut a hole here so that I can countersink them into the floor. I want to do this so they will fit under the seats. I obviously don't want to do this if there is going to be a problem with strength or hull integrity.

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-16-2005, 6:25 AM Reply   
hmmm that is a good idea... I would be curious to know too. Might be a little scary to think in the back of your mind that that floor could crack going over a big roller or a double up..
Old    whitechocolate            02-16-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
My guess is that the stringers run on either side of the motor, I would guess they are 5-7 inches wide. So where you have the bat box looks like you would be ok. Im judging this off the the build photos I have seen on http://www.correctcraft.com/ you can do the factory tour and get a Idea where things are and how the floor is built, Doing somthing like this can be tricky, If you know what your doing Im sure it will be no problem. There are some people here that can do some amazing things you might be one of them, Be prepaird for some negiatieve critisizim, this isnt a mod that 99% of people will advise. The safe bet is to allways say "DONT DO IT" void warrinty LOL. If someone here has some exp with boat building or hull stringer repair and the lay out of the floor, They can offer some great advice. I am vey intrested in your project, so please keep us posted
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Grant, I will check out the link to see if I think it is possible. I was looking at the post and also posted this question on planetnautique where one of the guys built the battery box underneath of the side seat. It looked to me like the batteries were sunk into the floor but it was hard to tell.
Old    sean123            02-16-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
Where's the rest of the Boat pics Stan??? :-)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Sean,
I figured I would wait till I had it done and then post them with ballast,tower, stereo and all that stuff. Here are two pics of it in the garage.

Old    whitechocolate            02-16-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
Sean what your talking about doing , I have never seen. Do you have any experiance with this type of thing. IMO knowing whats under there is important.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
Grant, this post http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2301
there is a pic of 2 batteries in a box where a side seat would normally be. It is hard to tell if they are sunk into the floor or not.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-16-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Stan,
How much extra clearance do you need?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Brad,Not 100% sure yet. I still have to get the batteries. I am planning on getting them this week and finding out. Why to you have another idea.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-16-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
Stan ~ they are not sunk in. That is a cooler that most people turn into a box for there subs.
Old    sean123            02-16-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
Stan... Looks awesome.. Congrats!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-16-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks sean, make sure you let me know when you are up for the wedding this summer.

Ant Bug, that makes sense, it kind of looked like they are counter sunk. The box and seat bases must be higher on the new boats, cause mine the battery wont fit. I will probably come up with a different place to put them. I don't have enough balls to just cut a big hole in the floor without knowing what is down there.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-16-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
Stan,
No other ideas, but just thinking that you wouldn't get more than 4 - 5 extra inches. If that is enough, I'd say go for it. Worst case, you just have a hole in the floor to patch with marine ply and a bit of fiberglass. When it is covered back over with carpet you will never know it was there.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
B

(Message edited by bradb on February 16, 2005)
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2005, 4:52 AM Reply   
It's been done. I've seen it. I wouldn't do it if you're not sure exactly what to do. Most of the 210 have trays for dual batteries but, some of the early ones didn't. Of which one had a lean and it was due to the extra battery weight in the boat with only the drivers. So, the passenger side floor was cut to shape and then the foam was removed, the side walles were glasses and box was formed within.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-17-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
dudes, I'm resturating my old boat and did that, check it.

battery boxes
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Will these batteries fit under the seat without sinking them into the floor?
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925mjt.htm
There are other models that may also work for you; not sure if they have the capacity though.
I think sinking them in the hull should not be an issue, as long as the main stringer system is not disturbed.
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Stan, I don't have any input on the battery question, but is that a Simer ballast pump in your first picture? If so, you might want to relocate it because those pumps are not ignition protected and are not safe to be in the bilge.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-18-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Matt,
Thanks for the input. I was playing around with different ideas on where to put the pumps. I am still going to put them in the engine area just up higher. I am building a bracket to mount 3 of them across the supports for the back seat. I have had two simers running in my old boat in the bilge for 3 years and haven't had any problems. I know there could be a problem in the bilge but being higher I don't think it will be a issue.
Old    ag4ever            02-24-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
My boat has a battery on the port side that is sunken just like you want to do. This is how it came from the factory. Personally I don't like it there because it limits what I can put in that locker as far as length is concerned.

battery location

Is this what you are talking about?

I also have pictures of where I cut out the hunk of fiberglass under the fash on the floor that the kick pannel screws too. It might give you an idea of what your floor is like.

(Message edited by ag4ever on February 24, 2005)