Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
OK, I've read tons of posts about using a progressive edge and holding it through the wake. I've gotten to the point of landing heelside backrolls and am looking on to Scarecrows and Tantrums. My one concern is although I am landing heelside backrolls, Im not taking them very big. I can consistently land 2-3 feet in the flats on wake 2 wake jumps but usually case the wake on HS Backrolls. I want to be able to take them BIG. If I use a progressive egde and hold it through the wake, I just cut right through the wake and basically skip across it. Could someone please clarify (more than holding your edge through the wake) how to take tricks bigger. And yes, Im looking at the top of the wake and waiting for the pop before beginning my backroll. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-09-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
A "progressive edge" is about carving up the wake. Yes, you must hold your edge all through the wake, but you also have to adjust for the ramp of the wake. It sounds as if you are blasting through the wake instead of riding up it. Also, it really sounds like you're leaving the wake early. If you're making it around but still casing the wake, I would tend to think you're either leaving too early or your rope is too long.
Old    stormrider            06-10-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Long discussions on this; here's what I've basically come to: it's edge TO the wake and stand tall AT the wake. Now I'm not saying flatten out at the wake, don't get me wrong.

Body posture while edging to the wake also seems to be part of the process. I like knees rolled forward, shoulders back like I'm sitting in a chair then lean back to create tension on the rope. When I'm at the wake, the angle of the wake rolls the board ever so slightly forward so there's still plenty of tension on the rope when I stand tall and pull the handle in.

I ride with two other people, a tank of gas and 500 pounds in the ski locker fat sack (60 foot rope). I get about tower high so I know this for certain, it's not so much about wake height and having thousands of pounds of ballast. It's more about proper edging technique. Like golf, I guess. My 100 pound sister hits the ball farther than a college linebacker because she uses technique and he just tries to muscle everything.
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-10-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
Steven:

Thats a much better explanation. I too beleive that you cannot carry your hardest cut (often stated definition of progressive edge) THROUGH the wake. Obviously, the more you build your edge, therefore speed, the more the board becomes perpendicular with the water. Therefore, if you hit something at almost a right angle to the water when edging hard, the wake, you are going to go more through in than up it, I don't care what anyone says. So the key is proper body positioning, speed into the wake, relaxing (not stopping) your edge up the wake, and waiting for the pop? I too ride a Malibu Response, 60 ft rope, wedge, tower, 6 people, and about 500 lbs. My highest airs have come from a nice edge and good pop, not wake - Im just having trouble doing that on HS backrolls.

(Message edited by rhettb on June 10, 2003)
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-10-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
It's not "the hardest you can cut" is at the wake, it is "your hardest cut"} is at the wake. A lot of people mistake the timing for intensity. If you put your intensity of your cut into the wake on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the hardest, you want to be around a 6 or 7 going into the wake. To take your roll into the flats, start 2-3 feet further out from where you normally begin your approach. As you cut in, use the same progressive cut you would for a backroll but really think about going off the very top of the wake before you begin to get inverted. This should take you bigger. If not, increase your intensity into the wake, and hold your edge all the way up the wake.

(Message edited by canaday on June 10, 2003)
Old    stormrider            06-10-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
William:

I think I've thought through it pretty well, and have also slowed the pro-videos down to see how they hit the wake on spins vs. inverts vs. raleys. But I defer to Sean on this stuff, since he's got inverts times 3 or 4. Sean, I need to get you out on my Mobius LSV sometime out on San V as I could use some help on my backroll. I ride Thurs, Fri. and Sat and sometimes Sunday. I usually put my boat in line after riding Friday so I get a slalom course spot on Saturday. Th and Fri. ride time is 6-8:30. Sunday would be slalom course, as well.
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2003, 5:10 AM Reply   
Sean:

That post definitely put a new perspective on progressive edging for me. I was definitely cutting as hard as I could at the wake, intensity wise. Ill try slowing it down this weekend, concentrate on going off the very top of the wake and let you know how it turns out.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-11-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
William - Sounds good.

Steven - Thanks for the offer. I'm usually busy on Thursdays and Fridays, and I'm going to be starting on a new project soon so I doubt I'll be able to sneak away for an early Thursday run. But I would definitely love to go out on a weekend sometime.