Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-17-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
When I was younger I'd wakeboard year round (Southern Louisiana). Now that I'm older (32) I'm not as hardcore and take the winter off but still use my old full wetsuit in the early spring for those first 3-4 outings.

Just FYI, I bought my full suit when I was a sophomore in high school and was ~170 lbs. I'm about 2-2.5" taller and 40 lbs heavier and still wear the same one. So, you can imagine it doesn't leave much to the imagination and it's time to replace it. It's actually so tight that it restricts my breathing.

Anyway, since I don't need one that's suitable for winter anymore I was thinking a long sleeve wetsuit jacket (2-2.5 mm) plus some 2 mm shorts would be easier to deal with. It's always a pain with a full suit especially if someone else wants to share it. If I had a jacket and shorts I'd throw them the jacket and tell them to prepare for shrinkage 'cause I don't feel like taking my shorts off.

I'd think I'd also probably use the shorts all season to prevent bustin' my genitals. Those butt first falls sure hurt a lot less in my wetsuit than with just board shorts.

I've pretty much talked myself into it but does anybody else use a 2 piece setup like this? How do you like it?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-18-2012, 3:10 AM Reply   
Maybe try a shorty?

They have most of the benefits of a full wet suit but are very easy to get in and out of.
If you might use it a bit in winter then try a longsleeve shorty like an O'Niell's Gooru GBS or a Mystic Crown Steamer.

Hope that helps
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-18-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
We got my wife one of these last year. Can't really beat it for the money, and she really likes it.

http://4liquidpeace.com/1.5mm-neopre...it-jacket.html

Way easier to take on and off than even a shorty.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-18-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have a rip curl long sleeve jacket and love it. They seem to run small so make sure you try it on or get a good return policy. They are perfect for the in between days where it s to cold to only trunk it but to hot for a suit.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-18-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
Hyperflex long sleeve chest zip shorty is one the best investments I've ever made. IF your going to take the step in a wetsuit whether it be shorty or full...always get taped and sealed suits NOT glued and stitched. I dont see the point in separate heater top and then wetsuit shorts...your exposing your waist area to the cold water flush. Wetsuits are just one of those things that you get what you pay for ( doesn't mean you can't find top of the line suits on sale or clearance).
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-18-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I dont see the point in separate heater top and then wetsuit shorts...your exposing your waist area to the cold water flush.
Good point. I started thinking about that shortly after my post. I might just get a "Long/Short" and then some shorts for the genital protection factor during the rest of the season.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-18-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
Here's an awesome suit http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...tsuits/XY626MF
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-18-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
Here's a link to a good shop I've done business with http://www.hansensurf.com/mens-spring-wetsuits.html
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-18-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Here's a link to a good shop I've done business with http://www.hansensurf.com/mens-spring-wetsuits.html
Doesn't look like anybody has an XLL in stock though.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-18-2012, 5:51 PM Reply   
Try going through Hyperflex directly from their website...that's how I ordered mine
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-19-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Try going through Hyperflex directly from their website...that's how I ordered mine
Doesn't look like they even have that suit on their website anymore
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Doesn't look like they even have that suit on their website anymore
Well crap...my next choice would be an Xcel wetsuit http://www.oregonsurfshop.com/xcel-i...pringsuit.html