Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-17-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
What do you guys use for board bags? Is the Hyperlite Rubber Wrap a good bag? Any opinions or suggestions.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-17-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
There was a bag that said golf on it, because some airlines don't charge to check golf clubs! I'd like to find one if anyone knows info about em
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-17-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock50 View Post
There was a bag that said golf on it, because some airlines don't charge to check golf clubs! I'd like to find one if anyone knows info about em
Its a liquid force bag that says goLF, i picked one up last fall for $100 from someone brand new on this site. It held 2 wakeboards, 2 pair boots, wetsuit, 2 vests, rope& handle and a pair of kids trainer skis lol. Total weight 56lbs, only paid normal baggage fee of $25

Oh and it has wheels
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-17-2012, 5:11 PM Reply   
^ ditto. LIquid force goLF bag is your best bet. Check their website
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-17-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. What about a less extravagent bag, that will simply fit one board, one pair of boots, and easy to carry from place to place. And perhaps less than the 150$ Golf.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       01-17-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
I have the Ronix Links bag, complete with portable driving range green! (Nice Golf Gimic) and I have been very pleased with it. Very light bag that fits a ton of stuff and has held up throughout numerous flights, and I have never been charged for an oversized bag!
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-17-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter1989 View Post
Thanks for the replies. What about a less extravagent bag, that will simply fit one board, one pair of boots, and easy to carry from place to place. And perhaps less than the 150$ Golf.
Try something like the LF Day Tripper DLX. That's probably more what you're looking for.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-18-2012, 1:26 AM Reply   
http://ronixstore.com/products/categ...1.6243.0.0.0.0
Check out the batallion for general use. If you're flying ever, get a links. The backpack goes for 120 and the wheelie for 170. If you're getting a bag I assume its to protect it so not much point in getting non-padded bags (Unless someone can enlighten me?)
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-18-2012, 2:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
Try something like the LF Day Tripper DLX. That's probably more what you're looking for.
I have this bag as well for when I need it. Holds board, bag, vest, rope/handle. forget how much, but its the day tripper

Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-18-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Thanks. Those look awesome, i'll check them out. Random question, how much does an average wakeboard and bindings weigh? Its looking like it might be cheaper to ship to my destination than possibly having to pay the airline fee. thanks
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-18-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
If flying Southwest is an option, you don't have to pay anything. They'll take it for free.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-18-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey Austin, thanks for your response. How is it that southwest doesnt charge? I looked up their policies and my board (145) with length, height, width, is longer than their dimensions. I understood it as I would have to pay a $50 fee. Am I incorrect? I just dont want to show up at the airport thinking I can take it and have to fork over the money each way. Thanks
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-18-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
i have flown with my LF board bag on Southwest several times, never been charged. never even questioned about it either
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-18-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Evo has some on sale in their outlet section. Prices aren't too bad I don't think.

http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/acces...wakeboard.aspx
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-18-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
i have had a few different bags in the past, all obrien but they have all been different.

i personally like a bag without wheels. you can throw in like 3 boards (two without bindings, one with), or you can have 1 or 2 boards and slam a ton of clothes in there without going over southwest airlines free bag checkin weight.

i like wheels as well, because it is so much easier to drag around, but im on a budget and cant usually afford to check in another bag.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-18-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbo View Post
i have flown with my LF board bag on Southwest several times, never been charged. never even questioned about it either
and correct southwest never charges or questions
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-18-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
I have never flown with my wakeboard but I've flown with my snowboard countless times. I've never been charged on SW and I've only been charged the normal bag fee on other airlines. They list boogie and knew boards as being a free checked bag on the SW site so I see no reason they would charge for a wakeboard.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...ggage-pol.html
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-18-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys. Yeah i was just going off of what they said on their website. And if you have a 145 board, the total dimensions add up to more than the limit they state. I just dont want to show up at the airport thinking they wont charge me and then they slap me with a 50$ fee. But thanks for the advice.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-19-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
I did have a note once left in my goLF bag and it stated "couldnt find any golf clubs in this bag".

Might want to check to see if your 145 will even fit in the bags, my 142 barely fit to zip it up.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-19-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Sports equipment doesn't have the same rules as normal luggage. My snowboard bag is a 166. Never had to pay an extra penny to fly with it and I usually take 3-4 snowboarding trips a season.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-19-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Thanks. Yeah that's what I feared. The Guy with the big board has to pay extra.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-19-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Thanks Bruizza, thats good to know. I was just going off of their website. I guess its worth a try, i just wanted to get some feedback. Just hoping that I dont get up to the counter and they slap me with a fee and no other option. Thanks guys for all the comments and help.

So if I dont want a rolling bag, whats the best bag for a reasonable price. Liquid Force Day Tripper?
Old     (MikeV253)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-20-2012, 3:26 AM Reply   
Hey i dunno if anyone has asked this already i havent had time to read all the applies but im currently looking into getting a board bag. ones like the ronix link or the hyperlight link. do these board bags able to hold the board with the bindings still on or do you have to take them off to fitt it all in?
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-20-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=LR3w8kbrdr;1726592]I did have a note once left in my goLF bag and it stated "couldnt find any golf clubs in this bag".

my bag has been inspected every single time i traveled with it. i never got a note though! now i feel left out....
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-20-2012, 5:44 PM Reply   
Definitely check the airlines rules for baggage. If they take snowboards, but don't list wakeboards, say its a snowboard. If they list water skis but not wakeboards, say its a water ski. If they do not list wakeboards, do not say wakeboards, surfboard, anything bigger than what it is.

Last time I flew leaving home I got to the counter and said it was a snowboard, since they didn't list wakeboards on their list. No questions just regular checked bag fee. Leaving Orlando the person at the counter asked "Golf Clubs?" and I said of course, and I have the regular LF bag, not the golf bag. It just seemed easier.

There are horror stories of getting to the counter and saying wakeboard and getting slapped with fees.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-20-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
I'm gonna be flying round a bit soon, so I've got a Ronix Links bag and checking it as golf clubs. I've been told to put one club and ball in as some airlines are really strict, but once there's a club in it, its a golf bag, no matter what else is inside.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-22-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Liquid force day tripper deluxe or Hyperlite producer? And has anyone tried the new day tripper deluxe is red and has the "space foil" look?
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-23-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
sister bought me the LF day tripper for christmas. very pleased
Old     (wakedork)      Join Date: May 2009       02-01-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
I have the original red ronix links bag still with tags on it in plastic I will sale it for $100 if anyone is interested. email me at shane at wakefactory.net
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-21-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter1989 View Post
Hey Austin, thanks for your response. How is it that southwest doesnt charge? I looked up their policies and my board (145) with length, height, width, is longer than their dimensions. I understood it as I would have to pay a $50 fee. Am I incorrect? I just dont want to show up at the airport thinking I can take it and have to fork over the money each way. Thanks
I've flown many times with my wakeboard on Southwest. Board, boots, binding, vest, clothing. I even flew with 2 boards in my bag once. They allow 2 checked bags free of charge. A wakeboard bag (as long as it's not over 50lbs) is considered a regular size bag to check.

For other airlines, you would probably just need to pay a second bag charge (or just stuff all your things into your wakeboard bag).
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-21-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
Just got back from a holiday yesterday with a mate using a LF goLF. One wheel had broken off and the other was hanging by a bit of plastic. I know it was the Airline and baggage handlers who should deal with it but the fact that this happened on the bag's 1st use doesn't convince me much of quality in this LF bag, and this wasn't the first time I've seen this happen before either with goLFs.

The straps on the bag make it awkward and hard to manoeuvre using just the strap designed for lifting only. A lot of the time, the buckles are grabbed and I've seen a good few break. The Ronix links doesn't have any of these hanging appendages that can be broken and that's why I got it
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-21-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
I have the slingshot golf bag..Picked it up for under $100 shipped 2 years ago. It has survived 4 trips to Orlando flying Southwest. Never had a problem with it at curbside check in. it will hold 2 decks and a pair of bindings that I put in the bottom of the bag. I will also keep my t shirts and button ups on there hangers and they sit nicely on top of my board. This way I can just hang them up when I arrive and no wrinkles.

Last edited by BlitzedVLX; 02-21-2012 at 1:55 PM.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-07-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried any of these bags?

hyperlite producer
liquid force day Tripper dlx team edition
liquid force Weekender
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-07-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Has anyone tried any of these bags?

hyperlite producer
liquid force day Tripper dlx team edition
liquid force Weekender
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-08-2012, 12:18 AM Reply   
I've been around the world a few times with my boards and its usually best to say snowboard if it comes up. Waterskis and surfboards usually have fees. But usually I just get asked "Is this sporting equipment"..... "go put it over there".
Only ever been tried to get charged once by air barbados (or whatever barbados national airline is called), and just argued/debated my way out of it.

One very VERY important thing you must do if you're worried about your gear is check it before you leave the airport! It becomes 10 times more difficult to make a claim on damaged goods once to step out the doors.
Old     (MikeV253)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-08-2012, 12:58 AM Reply   
im currently looking into getting a board bag as well. Ones like the ronix link or the hyperlight link. do these board bags able to hold the board with the bindings still on or do you have to take them off to fitt it all in?