Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-07-2003, 3:44 AM Reply   
Anyone running this engine. We currently have the 315 mag and am considering the 6.2 in the new boat. Is it much more powerful then the 315 hp. How is gas consumption? Thanks for your help.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-07-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
Typically a larger motor in a load situation gets the same or better milage than a smaller motor working harder. Especially if it is able to swing a larger prop with more cup (lower RPM's). The longevity will also be better as they tend to build them stronger. Other than that I have no information on the actual motor for you.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       02-07-2003, 7:28 AM Reply   
Hi Travis,
Why don't you come down & Demo my boats,I have 2 22V's with the 6.2,one with the 6.2 Scorpian,one 24 with the 6.2,& one 22i with the 6.2 Scorpian.
One of your packages shipped put yesterday for your daughter.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-07-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
There is another side to it and that is they quite building the small blocks and at some point they will start running low on them. Probably not before you turn your next boat but who can predict the future without knowing how many engines are out there.
Old    trigx5            02-07-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have the 6.2mx in my boat and it seems to work great. The boat is new and only has a few hours on it so I can only give you my initial response. I have a 24ft Rinker and it flat moves out. For my boat the 6.2 replaced the 454. The 6.2 was lighter and created more horses than the 454. Gas consumption seems ok but I have a 75 gallon tank so it's hard to keep up with.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-07-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
Karen that would be great. To far you are so far away.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    mikep            02-07-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
Hey Karen. Isn't Tige' putting 330 HP PCM motors in the new boats too. How does the PCM engine compare "price-wise" to the Mercruiser 315, 320 and 340 HP engines? Thanks!
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       02-07-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
My PCM pricing is at the shop,someone else can give the pricing.Since we have been Merc since 1966 I didn't look that closely at the pricing difference,although we never had any problems with the PCM's we sold in Correct Crafts in 93 & 94.We have no servicing dealers for PCM's or Indmar's on our lake,I'm sure some of the marinas stock basic parts.I will gladly order a PCM if someone wants one but our customers seem to be happy with their engines.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
I have plenty of Mercuiser catalogs with the CD's,just came in after the show if anybody wants one,send me your address.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
Phaeton, I recently had a discussion with my mastercraft dealer and mechanic. They are having a helluva time getting the high horse engines to run good here in colorado. Has something to do with the altitude and thinner air. They have one mastercraft with the 340 hp and are having fits with it, getting it to run any better then the lower horse engine. The altitude they are running it is 5300 ft above sea level.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-09-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
We are at 3300 so hopefully it wont be a problem.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2003, 10:00 PM Reply   
Phaeton, it was a strange conversation with my dealer. I guess some guy insisted he needed the extra horsepower, and the dealer was trying to discourage it. I trust them because the extra charge for the bigger engine was HUGE. I also heard them talking that the new valve cover they put on the 2003 mastercrafts killed the top end power of the engine. Are you familiar with how that would happen?
Old    aussie            02-12-2003, 5:33 AM Reply   
The PCM Excalibur 330 is a $2500 bump over the Merc 315 and approximately the same upcharge as a 330 Scorpion. The MX 340 Merc is around a $4500 bump. The PCM ZR6 is about $5,500 up and turns out 375 but is in limited supply.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-12-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
Andrew all I can think of is, it was what was under the valve cover that effected the top end.
I hope we made the right decision. Yes it was expensive but if the motor has the extra power and lasts longer because of the extra power then we did.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
Travis, you will probably find you get better GPH too, along with a much better hole shot. If I was buying a new boat, I would get a big block 8.1L, otherwise that is the motor I would opt for.

(Message edited by peter_c on February 12, 2003)
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-12-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
The 8.1 is an outrageous upgrade. I have heard that it is really, really loud also. That was in a Nautique. Something about limited space in the V-drive so no mufflers were installed.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    matt_dettman            02-12-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
Phaeton,

The 6.2 small block is basically a stroked 5.7. The crankshaft has a half inch longer stroke thus the increase in displacement. I am not sure at what altitude you usually run, but if you are loaded up with ballast and are running at higher altitudes, the old adage "there's no substitute for cubic inches" probably applies and the upgrade may be worth it.

I sell 95% of my Tige's with the 315 MPI mill. We are currently at about 1150' on Mead. I recommend the 330HP Scorpion for the 23 and now the 24 V's unless the customer spend a fair amount of time at Lake Powell.

The upgrade from 315 HP to 330 or even 340(6.2 Scorpion) is not worth the money at this altitude unless you are loaded with ballast! That's my opinion anyway.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-12-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
Matt the local lake is 3300 ft altitude. We sometimes go to a higher lake which is 5000 ft. Our old boat had the 315 hp and when loaded you could tell it was loaded. The motor was fine but the new boat is 1200#'s heavier. I think we made the right choice.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2003, 6:07 PM Reply   
masre asd

second word