Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-11-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Anyone starting in the near future?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-11-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Week three started for me on Monday. Come on in, the water is cold as ****. lol. brace your abs and your lats for a little shocker. I am on the diet as well. 17+lbs in three weeks.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-11-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
Joe--I'm starting another round on Monday the 16th. This will just be continuation, round 8 I thkink.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Trying to shake a sinus infection I have had since last thursday. I might start on Monday.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Just got on it, so far... Legs/Back, Stretch X, Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-12-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
I've been on/off this program for about 3 years now. I mix and match the exercises , building new routines, and mixing with my old workouts from years past..
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-12-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
I'm going to start Monday. Phatboy, 17 in three weeks is awesome!! I did it a year ago before my daughter was born. It's been downhill since.........
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have been doing the X pretty much for the last 2.5 years. I don't always strictly follow the 90 days but will complete the full cycle with a couple weeks added to finish out as I end up taking more days off. Also done a round of Insanity.

Follow the nutrition plan, or very close to it, you will see the results!! Busted out Yoga this morning, do the Yoga! I really love it and it contributes to the overall program.

As I said, I am starting Monday also!!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-12-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Joe, I am pretty stoked. I am no stranger to working out, but the diet has been particularly helpful for me because I really need structure in my diet. I enjoy the workouts, even though the Yoga is LONG, but I think the diet has been responsible for most of my weight loss. Weighed in this morning and lost another 3 pounds, I am only 7 from my goal weight which is pretty exciting.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-12-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Check out my other thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781288

I am in my recovery week after my first phase. While my weight is not moving that much (I had lost 35 lbs. before P90X), my strength and stamina have increased and in very short order - 3 weeks. I am eating about 80% clean and I am not worrying about it. I had zero plans to do the Yoga and Kenpo. Yoga is an azz kicker, Plyo too and Kenpo is fun. Just do it and brace yourself for the ride.

I now have re-read the posts and see you're not a newb at this. I'll be starting phase 2 on Monday.

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 08-12-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: I should read more thoroughly before posting....
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-12-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have done a cycle of the X. Now I usually just take a couple workouts and do them every week, I have been making sure I legs and back every week because even though I don't like it. I think it is a great work out. And I also bust out the ab ripper 3 times a week. Keeps me in decent shape without pushing myself crazy. Soon I will get back into a full cycle but for now just doing maintenance with it.
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-12-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! Doug, after 8 rounds, shouldn't you just be fit for life?!?!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Joe--I can only hope!!

Always ways to improve (read nutrition) turning 45 shortly and trying to turn around years of neglect!!

Always good to have folks along for the ride!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-12-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
like Doug, I have completed at least 7 rounds of P90X and 1.5 rounds of Insanity. My wife has become fairly bored with her workouts, so I ordered BeachBody's newest, TurboFire.

I am going to give it a try just to mix things up. I will then probably get into the 3rd edition of one on one with Tony. I understand that a new P90X is in the works. It is being created from the latest round of One on One (so I hear)

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...beachbody&aq=2

http://www.beachbodycoach.com/bgtdude
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-13-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
How much are you guys following the eating guide? I'm going on my third week of insanity starting sunday. I'm not following the eating guide at all but im eating 5-6 small healthy meals a day. I can't believe the results I have seen from just two weeks ago. I dont know what my weight loss is because I refuse to weigh myself. When I worked out before I became obsessive with weighing myself way to many times a day and then getting bummed if I didn't see a big change, so now I just go by how my clothes fit and how I feel.

Do any of you drink the Shakeology? Ive thought about getting it but im pretty happy with the GNC AMP wheyobolic 60 im using and it taste pretty good as well. As soon as insanity is over im going straight into P90x. I really can't wait to see the end results after both are done with.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
I'm about to start P90X Monday, any helpful hints? What should I expect? Where should I focus my time?

I'm 29 yrs old 6' 245 lbs

I have gained 30lbs since quitting smoking Dec 23rd 2009 (gift for my daughter)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-18-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
Good job on quiting smoking!

seeing results will keep you motivated IMO. Try and stick to the programs diet as much as you can. Not only will it help you shed pounds, it will help you get thru the workouts. dont' skip any of the DVD's at first...give them all a chance.

6" 245...your a fairly big guy.....keep the bottle of aleve/advil handy. Expect some joint pain caryin around that much weight. When I first did the progrma I was in good shape ( lifted alot, not focused on " fitness", stayed lean) but at 6"3 about 210-215....carryed alot of weight and my joints hurt from the high impact moves in some of the program. Dropping weight ( losing muscle and some fat) the program was much easier at 185-190lbs for me.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-18-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
I'm sure as you haev read and know diet is very importnat for long term sucess. Honestly....b/c the program is so intense , you can fudge the diet and still get great results IMO. I've had what I consider a pretty good "diet" the last 10-12 years. Just in the last 2-3 years have I began to focus more on diet and less on exercise. I'm still amazed at how much my body reacts to small changes in my diet.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Bully, I'm not following the P90X eating guide, but I try to eat 5 or 6 times a day and they are 80% healthy. Fruit, tomatoes, salads (no dressing), turkey, steak, Kashi protein bars for some snacks (1 a day), yogurt, cereal for breakfast. Of course there are some potatoes ('cause I like 'em) here and there. I'm not getting into the Shakeology or any of the P90 "extras". I'm probably not helping myself, but I'm not drinking any protein shakes either. The only thing I drink is a Endurox recovery drink that I get from GNC.

Matt, good luck on your start. I started thinking I would just pick and choose and I ended up doing everything. Listen to Tony, don't be too hard on yourself, if you have trouble, and just keep pushing play. For the Plyo, which is awesome, you'll need at least a 10x10 area. I really have not been that sore after my workouts, which is good, but then again, I am trying to stay within my working limits. I have already had one injury, due to me not warming up (playing around with the chin up bar and showing off when I shouldn't have been) where I strained my abs and put me behind. Oh. Do the Yoga. It seems long, and the beginning will be tough, but it is definitely something you will realize the results from very quickly. Here is what I realized last night with P90X. You are getting the best workout possible in the least amount of time. You cannot expect the great results, that people experience, in less time. Because you are busy, the workouts go by pretty quickly.
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-18-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Started Monday and I'm in some pain!! It really only hurts when I breathe or blink!! Good pain though!!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecs View Post
Started Monday and I'm in some pain!! It really only hurts when I breathe or blink!! Good pain though!!
Sounds like you did AbRipperX!
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-18-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Abb ripper and plyo......yesterday.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-18-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
ab ripper and plyo on the same day? go for it!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-19-2010, 12:52 AM Reply   
ok, I need a parter for this -- 230lbs, 6ft. 30 years old. I was about 175lbs before i started dating my wife -- now i'm a haus-cat.

All the above mentioned problems lately (pain from extra weight, ****ty vision, just in-general feel like a worthless pOs). I also drink about 14 diet cokes per day (not exageratting - constant thirst)

Someone PM me - i'll setup a blog and we can do it and bitch about it together. Let me know. Lets do this!
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-19-2010, 3:35 AM Reply   
Clayton, hit me up, sounds like we are almost in the same scenario... My goal weight is 210lbs and I'm at 245ish now... I'll be 30 in a few months...
I have the P90X and will be hitting it hard starting monday... This week I have been attempting to jog(mostly walking) 3-4 miles & do as many pushups & situps as possible each day trying to keep from shocking my body completely... I'm going to Hawaii in November to plan our wedding.... I'm dedicated to this program...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-19-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
calyton....maybe you already knwo this , but diet cokes will dehydrate you. Obviously drink more water , or stick to non-caffienated beverages. Staying properly hydrated thoughout the day can mean the difference between feeling good thru your workout or feeling like crap.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-19-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
hey guys. Don't start super strong right out of the box! You will be sore and exhausted by the end of week 1. Don't forget to adjust the diet as you go. Your body will be demanding more and more calories. Good luck! Go for it! Keep pushing play
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-19-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Clayton....40 and 215. Should be around 190. I really don'y care about the number as long as I feel good! I missed yesterday's workout. Left San Diego around 5:30 am for a meeting in LA. Got home about 7:30 pm. Sore, hungry, and a bit on edge from the day. I just started Monday, so I'm in.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
I am going to start on sep 1.
Whats the best pull up bar for the door way?
one other question I have is Will you need to see the videos the whole time or can you go just by the sound/voices. Or is eye contact on the TV crucial. I am trying to figure out how I am going to set up.thanx
Clayton no offense buddy but you better change your ways or you might npt make 55 buddy. That many diet cokes/day is taking years off your life. Please post where I can follow your blog. I am not ragging on you I am just scared for you man. I to am out of shape so i am not trying to act better than you so dont take it that way please. I am 41 and saw some pictures of me that mad me say WTF!! When I was your age i weighed a 190. But you know the story wife kid then 40 came around I was at 256. On my 40th b-day my wife told me we were having another baby. my son was born 3mths. early and spent 6 weeks in the NICU. (he is great and growing like a weed now) Gave me alot of free time at the hospital and time to reflect. I started changing my diet. And did kettle worx videos. I was in no kind of shaped to try p90x. Well I am 6'1" 225 now and feeling like a new man. I kind of make a joke about it..but its really sort of true. People ask me how I am dropping the lbs. "easy I just do the opposite of what I have done for the last 10yrs". I know I still have atleast 25lbs I want to get rid of. I also feel I can attempt p90x now. i am excited about taking my workouts to the next level. So I am looking forward to following you through the program.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2010, 4:57 AM Reply   
Kevin, I went to walmart.com and found a cheap free standing pull up bar($89) shipped it to my closest store free.
It also works good for dips, I'm 237# and it is sturdy for me.

I've been on p90x for 5 days and it is hard to get out of bed... I've been doing doubles, I think I will go to the lean plan next week.

I went from drinking 6-10 mountan dews everyday to only water & no caffene I feel better than I ever have in my life..
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
Kevin, Good work on your weight loss thus far. I had ballooned up pretty good (bad) myself over the past couple of years. Although, I have always been "big boned". haha I have a bar in the doorway that I have to use (only cased door even close to the TV) that I cannot see the TV while doing. You can watch the move, skip back to the beginning of the exercise and then do it with them. You'll prolly have some time to spare. The way the DVD's are set up are great. Each exercise is a chapter. So, if you have trouble with something, you can simply hit the "back" button and it'll take you the beginning of the exercise. As far as having eye contact with the group while doing the rest of the exercises, I find it is very important. It always helps to see the other peoples form and how they also struggle.

To be honest, I really want a standing chin up bar. I am not happy with the door way bar that I have. It is the "better" Iron Gym model. I have tried the regular too but it is no different. Having broad shoulders, the regular is too narrow and the wide is to wide for normal pull ups. I would probably suggest looking at the P90X bar, although it doesn't fit in all doorways, or making room for a stand-up or wall mount bar. Of course, neither of these would look good in my den.

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 08-27-2010 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Oh, one more thing. I am in my 5th week of P90X. Prior to P90, I had lost about 40 lbs. Since I have begun X, I have not really seen the scale drop with any real significance, even though I have working out harder than I ever have in my life. However, what I do see is visible signs of muscle gain, more confidence in my stronger knees and a smaller waist size.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Thanx AKA thats the kind of info I am looking for. I really dont have a good door for it either.Yeah and the wife is not to keen on me installing one in the den.
Also what weight dumbells do you think I should have to start or are the bands going to do the trick? I have an olympic weight set i can make dumbells with just need to know a goood starting point.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
A little extra info, I'm 46 and thought I was reasonably fit before I started. Wrong! I'm all dumbells. 8's, 15's, 20's, 25's, 30's and a 35. I use the 8's for the straight arm work, but need 10's I could also use some 12.5's too. I basically use all of them, but I do need to get a second 35 for curls. I would not purchase the "combo" dumbells. I feel they would get in the way and slow you down. There are some times when you have barely enough time to switch dumbells, much less reconfigure the combo's and wipe the sweat. Of course, you could push the back button; which is what I seem to do a lot toward the end of the week. In hindsight, I wished I had look around for a used set of dumbells. Before it's over, I'll have a full rack, just like they do on the DVD's and at the gym.

It is not easy, but I promise, you'll see and feel the results. Heck. I'm in my 2nd phase and still can pull off more than 5 pull ups without the chair during the sets; but I am not going to do any pull ups while I am not working out just to say I did 10 or whatever. The last time I did that, I thought I had sidelined myself. Good luck!
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-28-2010, 3:20 AM Reply   
Guys, I tryed the yogax yesterday. My body doesn't bend that way. Would it be a problem to put cardiox or x strech in place of it? Atleats untill I get in better shape..

Also I've been on a 1200-1400 calorie diet, this week I had to go back to 2000+ a day to keep my strength. So I understand now what yall were saying about your body will tell you to eat..
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-28-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Great work guys!

When I started I got a joist mount pullup bar and put in the garage. I had the tv and did everything else in the family room. Had to run back and forth but it worked out fine. I have since moved everything to the garage.

I am currently about 225. I started this 2.5 years ago at 283 dropped as low as 205. Goal o's now to vet to 210.

Did L&B, ARX and 3 wake sets yesterday and the Insanity cardio this AM. I am beat but so thankful I can now do all that due P90X. I turn 45 next week.

Week 3 of phase one for me for Monday.

Do the Yoga!!!!!! It is hard, bot it will vet better. And the benifits far outweigh the pain.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
I didnt really see anywhere in my hosue I could make one of the pull up bar door things work so I picked up a power tower on Craigslist cheap. You know you can do chin/pull ups off it dips and ab work thing. I think it will work out good for p90x. [I] think I am destined for the garage as well..wife not to keen on a bunch of work out gear in den or living room. Sux I was kind counting on the a/c to help me out in the begining.
Its like this one (well minus the hot chick wife would not abrove that either LOL)http://www.bayoufitness.com/Proform-...r-PFBE1716-267 you think will do ok with the p90x?

Last edited by kko13; 08-28-2010 at 2:09 PM.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
Kevin, it was difficult to check out the equipment while looking at the babe, but I managed to do it. I like the assisted lift, if it works for pull ups, but I'm not sure you could do all the different pull ups you'll need to do in P90X. If I was to have to move to the garage, I would install the joist mounted bars like Doug. A good straight pipe is all you need and allows your hands to be any width apart and works for all people. With the doorway mounts, like I have, it is not variable enough for all shoulder widths.

I honestly couldn't stand to be in the garage. I sweat enough as it is.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-29-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
Yes! Summer in the garage has been warm. But I do workout at 4:15 AM. Just open the doors and a fan.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-30-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
But I do workout at 4:15 AM.
One Word: COMMITMENT!

My hat is off to you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
I got 65 days through it last year, but hurt my shoulder and it killed it off --

I'm doing a Insanity/P90x mix now.... some P90x stuff is just too long/boring so I sub it out for insanity workouts -- somedays I'll do neither (but that means I'll swim for a few hours and/or play soccer
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Well that was about the most brutal thing I have ever done to my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it through I guess. I am a big fat out of shape S.O.B. I am not looking forward to waking up 2morrow!! I wish I could say I didnt know what a divebomber push up was!!!!!!!!!!!! The second round my arms just gave out and I fell flat on my face! I might be to old for this ****!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
kevin don't give up .pace yourself start slow and try to make progress weekly not daily. you will do it. i win lots of money from young kids who think they can do more push ups or beat me in the 40 yard dash.my body might be 51 but my mind is still 18.remember if you don't mind it won't matter. no pain no gain.pain is weakness escaping from your body. good luck
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-01-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
Kevin, hang in there. I am 46 and out of shape too; even after almost my 7th week! I fell on my face a bunch and felt totally wasted and incapable of doing it too. In some ways, the feelings you are explaining now are the same feelings I had the first time I attempted it. The difference now: I saw what weight work did for my son and what strength was able to do for a wakeboarder the same size as me. He was able to pull himself back into control when he was about to fall. I also decided to believe in the informercial (especially the fat guys) and pay attention to what Tony says: Do your best and forget the rest!!! It's real. As I said earlier, or in another thread, I was literally blown away with the difference it made in my knee strength after just 3 weeks. Can I do all the pull ups? No. Mostly still using the chair. Can I do all the push ups? No. Sometimes I am so tired that I do zero at the end. However, I am getting better at both!

Here's the hard truth. It is tough. It takes a lot of my time. I have little time to do anything else after work and before bed. I question why I do it and dread it sometimes. I wonder if I'll ever get as strong as the folks in the vids. Those are all the bad truths. Now for the good ones. I can wakeboard 3 times longer! My knees feel better than ever and I expect them to just get better! I'm in my 5th summer of wakeboarding (I'm a third) and my control and riding has improved 2 to 3 times this summer. I am still eating my 80% clean, with some splurges during the weekend, and I am still fitting into smaller clothes and still losing weight (albeit slower due to the splurges). If I had eaten like this without P90X, it would be stagnate city.

Hang in there! The positives far outweigh the negatives. Hit the pause button when needed or even skip a exercise if you are dog tired. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself. Know you are not in the shape of the folks in the vid and just try to do better next time. Now, that may sound like being a quitter, but I call it being real. I may not make the headway as someone else, but then again, that someone else may not be 46. They might be 25.
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-02-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
Kevin,
I'm on week three and feel the same way. The diamond pushups are the hardest for me!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-02-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Well I knew it was goning to be tuff. I have read alot of the blogs on here about p90x. I knew what I was getting into. I just thought I was going to do a little better. I do not feel as bad as I thought I was going to today . I didnt pace myself like I think I should. I could only make it like 30seconds of the 1 minute given. The last 30 seconds I was just resting and maybe throw in a rep or 2 right at the end. I dont plan on quitting although last nite I was like WTF am I doing this for! I am just going to keep going and try and beat what I did the time befrore. Thats what I did with the Kettle Worx work out and it worked well for me.
JOE I hear you brother The second round of diamonds I could not even hold myself up. I rested for about half the aloted time and managed to pump out 4 right at the end.
So I will push play on plyo tonite and see what kind of fun I can have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I really need and appreciate them. Glad to know others have been down this road and I am not alone.

Last edited by kko13; 09-02-2010 at 9:19 AM.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-02-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Kevin, when you finish Plyo, you will get a high. You'll wish there was someone in the room that you could high five and say "Yes! I did it!" I usually increase the 30 seconds breaks to 60 and maybe more. I need to get a heart monitor but I'm seriously afraid that I'll be outside my high limit most of the time.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-02-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
I just started P90X also. I love it. It is working muscles that I do not hit in the gym. Plyo is MURDER! It crushed me last night. I could barley make it up the stairs!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Kevin keep at it, it gets better as you get better.

2.5 years later and it still kicks my ass, you just push harder. Pull ups are still hard for me, course if I lost a few more pounds it would be better.

Diamonds suck!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-02-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
Thanx Doug I guess...LOL you mean I dont ge to stop after 90 days WTF....LOL....Just got done with plyo.It was good. I did have to hit pause when I started keeping track of how many of my jumpshots went in the basket..then I realized there is no fuggin basket...lack of oxygen makes funny things happen. I did pretty good so I am happy and feel great. And after yesterday I dint think that was possible.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-03-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Kevin
I am 46 and am starting my 8th round Tuesday. Day 1 will be plyo, after a weekend of beer and cookies. I know that it's gunna be tough.

You will really start to get into a "groove" at the end of week 5. The start of week 5 is tough. Recovery week is also tougher than you would expect.

By week 9, you will see MAJOR improvements and feel like a million bucks. You will then be hooked for life. Hang in there!

just keep pushing play

I can't wait till they finish P90X version 2!
It's in the works
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-03-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Good stuff Cliff. I am 41 and I hope I can do it until I am 46 or maybe even 50 something like Roberts old butt. LOL you know I joke robert. I do regret letting myslef get so out of shape but They say your never to old right! So fridays are going to be tuff for sure. We always hangout in the neighborhood let the kids play while the adults indulge. I am going to have to cut it back so I will be ready to work out later in the evening. I have been doing some lifting prior to starting p90x...but I can tell after only 2 days this is what its all about I already feel better..sleeping better giving me a much better stronger start to the day. And thats after only 2 workouts. I can only imagine after the 90 days is up how much better I am going to feel.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-03-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kko13 View Post
let the kids play while the adults indulge.
I have cut by indulging down to nothing. Maybe 4 beers in almost 7 weeks! Before I leave work in the afternoon, I think how great would be to go out, have dinner and a beer at our favorite mexican restaurant. But then I remember how tired I would feel after a "good" meal and a cervesa and decide to eat light and work out.

On my first recovery week, I did very little. I thought I had messed up my abs (hernia) so I wanted to give them time to heal. It worked. This next recovery week, (starting Labor Day) I am again going to take off. Dirtbiking season is here and I need to get some things done on the bikes and prep for a ride next weekend. I guess that's my excuse anyway....

It'll get where you actually want to do the workouts... just to see the improvement! Today, we are headed to the lake, but I will do my legs and back before I go, just like last week. The wall squats are brutal, but when you're done, it's almost like finishing PlyoX.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-04-2010, 5:11 AM Reply   
Well How and the hell can you guys wakeboard while doing this stuff!! My arms hurt so bad right now I can not even imagine trying to hold on to a handle right now.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
kevin remember NO PAIN NO GAIN. and it only gets worse with age.you have to find what your body can handle,then make small improvements every week.if you try and do too much your muscles won't recover.so pace yourself young man.lol
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-04-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
Kevin, I'm probably not "Bringing It" as much as you are. I do the exercises, but I may not go till exhaustion. I do not want to burn myself out and make myself hate it. I try to do enough till I feel it and then try to do some more reps or more weight the next time.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-05-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
AKA I dont that I am Bringing it at all LOL I sure dont think I am. I feel like a bitch compared to these dudes and chicks on the vidoes...but I do have fun and will keep pressing play and like you trying to do one more rep or a little more weight each time.
The thing I learned last nite beside the fact I am not nearly as limber as Tony. Is dont do yoga late. My 9mth old wakes me up @ 6am and it had been a long busy day. I dint start yoga until 10pm. I did ok considering I didnt know the moves by name and had to stop and watch so I knew what to do. But overall I really like Yoga. That being said it was so relaxing and it was so late I could not keep from falling asleep so 45 min. in I just had to quit and goto bed.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
not sure if many here are 5'10" and between 135-145, but I have watched several "skinny guy" p90x videos on youtube and am going to be starting it as well myself but as much as I truely am believing in this program, has anyone herd of this- http://www.forcefactor.com/?fb_lgid=...tid=1004&nid=2 ? I was going to take this as well just to promote the process faster. supposed to be a "legal form of steroids"? IDK, is this to much at once or? Thanks
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-08-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
Guys I'm on week 3 and it still hurts. But on the good side everyone comments on the results.... I feel 100x better every day
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-08-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
Great Job Matt!!!! Keep up the good work. I just started week 2. Made some good strides on this go round. So I am happy. Still hating and I mean fuggin hating Ab Ripper X. I can not do 1 sit up without someone or something holding my feet down. I only make about10-12 reps maybe 15 out of the 25. I hope this one gets eaiser fast because I may ditch it for stretch x.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-08-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
Kevin! Don't ditch Ab Ripper X!
It took my almost 8 weeks my first round to get all 25 reps on each exercise. If I missed 1 workout, the next one was a struggle. When you finally get all the reps, slow it down and really squeeze each rep. You will soon be wondering why the heck you where ever thinking about skipping...

keep pushing play!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2010, 4:41 AM Reply   
I'll have to second what Cliff said. Don't quit ARX! I'll sheepishly admit that I don't do it every time, but it is getting better. The mason twist, which is the worst.... well, I actually did a few the other day! I was shocked.

I'm in my second recovery phase now and about to head into my 8th week and phase 3. I compared some pics yesterday, which I took in the beginning and after each phase. Not a big difference, but I can feel it though. It is going to take time to really see a difference since I lost 35# before I started X.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
Ok ARX will stay for now! I do like the mason twist they did that one in my kettle work dvd and I got good at it and that was using weight. So doing it without is easy for me. but thats the only one that is!.

Ok I am sorry but I have to ask. Again SORRY.So ever since I started p90x my bowel movements have gotten a little crazy. I changed my diet in feb 2010 to mostly organic/healthy food. So it was good when I started and have not really changed anything there. I was just wondering if anyone else went through this...again sorry about the topic but who better to talk to about this than a bunch of peeps I dont know.LOL thanx..and again sorry.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Er.... I remember that when I first started, I got almost constipated. Very unusual for me. The only thing that changed was the workout.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
I have a more and more problem if you know what I mean.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're losing a lot of weight though!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-10-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
Didn't have that problem, just became very regular!

Looking forward to next week starting phase II for this round. This recovery week has been so so, after a great labor day birthday weekend.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
Now I know why alot of people ditch yoga. It sucks! Its so long and boring and I cant do half the stuff they do.I am not going to quit it but I damn sure dont like it and can see why people dont do it.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-12-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Did 270 miles this weekend on a dual sport ride with a good mix of trail, gravel and asphalt. I could really tell that the P90X had helped. I never got tired or winded. P90X is awesome and phase 3 starts tomorrow!
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quick question guys.. I'm about to be at work for 2 weeks strait & will be unable to do some of the lifting due to not having weights or access to a chin up bar. What would you think about doing only the no weigh excersises in a routine like this

Cardio x (Monday & Wenesday)
Core synergetics (Tues),
Plyo, (Thursday)
Yoga (Friday)
KempoX (Saturday)
Ab X tues, thurs & sat
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Also I wanted to add
I want to lose weight, not bulk up...
Today is starting week 3 of the regular program
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
oops week 4
sorry for the multiple posts
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-13-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Matt--Get some bands! You might have a place to hook them and do pulldowns.

Otherwise you plan should be fine, and add in pushups of all kinds.

CST, and ARX today, start of phase II for this round, I can feel it. Plyo tomorrow!
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-13-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Also I wanted to add
I want to lose weight, not bulk up...
Today is starting week 3 of the regular program
Matt, you need resistance to build muscle. Pay close attention to the vids. 6-10 reps for increased mass, 12-18 reps for leaness. Muscle burns calories. There are plenty of vids out there of chicks (and guys) who have been on P90X for many rounds. They are firm, toned and still defined, not bulky.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-14-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Agreed, it's a definite misnomer that using weights will add bulk. IF you wanna lose wweigth, you NEED to incorporate weight training in your exercise routine.

Try and find some bands...cheap and very portable. I travel about 20% of the time for work...get inventive, lol. I've done pullups hanging out of trees in the past...haha
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
There's more to it than just more weight and less reps. If you seriously want to add muscle mass, then you need to rest between exercises so that your energy levels recover. ATP-CP is the primary energy source for short burts of intense strength. When you're in a fast -paced circuit like P90X, it rarely recovers. While you're burning more calories and building both strength endurance, and cardio-respitory capacity, you'll find it hard bulk up this way. Of course if you're just a genenic freak, these rules may not apply.

Body builders rest between sets and practice horizontal loading (focussing on one muscle group until it's exhausted). 60-90 seconds of rest between sets allows ATP-CP to recover to something like 80-90% so they can lift heavier. Of course, they're not good for antying else! :-)
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
week 3 day 3 getting into a nice grove. dropped a few pounds down 2% on my BMI. Starting to see some changes. Had to put a new hole in the belt because it would not go small enough. Really starting to bring it and I leaving nothing in the tank.. Still stuggle through ARX and hate yoga but still do it. Beating my #'s from prior week. Going to be stepping up the weight now because I am getting into the 15-20 reps on alot of the moves on shoulders and arms.
One question I have . On chest and back day I seem to be more sore in my bi's and tri's than my chest or back. Am I doing something wrong? Can you do a push up or pull up wrong? I keep my back straight during the pushups and pay very close attention to Tony and watch my form. So I dont really know what I can do different to work my chest and back over my arms on this day. I am still having to use a chair for the wide grip pull ups ( I do 5 reg. and 5 w/chair right now) So I know I need to get stronger in this area.Any suggestion/comments. Thanx
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
starting today wish me luck
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Kevin, I wish I could answer you. You are miles ahead of me. I'm still only doing 2-3 without the chair and then finish a total 12-15 with the chair. I try to keep something in for the 2nd set, but it's tough. On my military push-ups, it is hard to keep from flaring the arms. If I do, I can do some reps. If I do not, on my 2nd set, I fall on my face. I hope someone else can answer you question.

jon, good luck. If you have read the posts, you can see it is not going to be easy, but it is rewarding. I am not doing all the ARX as I should but, I swear I can see some abs showing up under my fat.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Aka I hear you on the ARX I get to 12-15 reps then stop cry like a baby wait for them to get to 20 and throw in the last five. On all accept the v roll up thingy I cant do that one at all. And I still have to put my feet under the desk to do sit ups....BUT like you I think I see them suckers comming through the fat! Yoga last nite and I still didnt make it all the way through but getting better. My body just will not do some of that stuff AT ALL!
Another great/funny thing last nite..Out changing the oil in my truck truck my nieghbor was out washing his car..He says "I dont mean to pry but is your health ok" I said yeah why? He said " you have been dropping weight like crazy and me and the wife were affraid you were sick/ill."Man that me feel great and I am going to keep bringing it harder and harder over the rest of these 90 days!! I could see some changes but what he said really made me want to go harder.

Jon there is some real good adivce on here so make sure you read up and ask questions. For sure take it easy the first time through and learn the form before you go hog wild. That is one I am glad I did. You will use some muscles you forgot you had and stretch some that have not been stretched so take it easy at first then bring it a little harder the next. That would be my advice from one newb to another!