Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-01-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any good plans for a slider?
I have never hit one. How long should it be etc...? What do you think of rave sliders?

Thanks Jack
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-01-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
i would go at least 50ft long... since its your first at least 6/8" wide

keep it stupid simple
Old     (connerthurston)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-01-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
i would definatly go with either a long flat bar like 60 to 80 foot long with a ride on that goes into the water or a 60 foot long A frame i ride cable mostly and i hit rails all the time i have the most fun and learn presses and spins on these types of rails. make sure you use the good plastic to lay on top its pretty expensive but it will give you the best performance out of the rail and not to mention keeping your board alive haha
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-01-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
What is good plastic? Do you have any plans for one that floats? Or any idea on how to make them. Thanks Nick and Conner and who ever else who helps.
Jack
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-01-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
plastic dock floats work great but are $$$
plastic barrels work, cheap but awkard to mount
Foam works but can be $$

I found an old swim raft for $40 and ripped the big plastic pontoons off of it... they are like 2.5ft diameter and about 6 ft long, they work great......

for the surface I would get the stuff for shower walls ... its slick and rot proof.
Old     (connerthurston)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-01-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
the plastic is almost like cutting board you can find it at like a local Hardware Store. alot of people use styrafoam to keep it floating you have to build it pretty wide at the bottom to get enough foam to keep it floating. its always alot easier to just build the rail with post so you can drive it into the mudd.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       12-01-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
I think roof tops are the most fun. i would do 60 ft. and depending on what you want you can chose the width. the wider the easier to stay on and the skinnier the more of a challenge and cheaper. i think there are some good pics of one on kcwatersports.com
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-01-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
For the surface either use FRP or TREX. FRP is the shower material referred to above. It comes in 4x8 sheets and is about 28 bucks a sheet. I prefer TREX. You can find it in sections that are 12 feet long and 8 inches wide. The problem with FRP is it is very thin. Approx .09 inches. Making it nearly impossible to countersink screws into. Thus meaning alot of liquid nails is required. FRP is probably 1/2 inch thick. When wet it slides perfectly fine and doesnt do much damage to the board. I would build a flat rail with a transition that starts in the water so all you have to do is ride up on it. No ollie needed. And I would build it in the ground. Makes it easier, you dont have to plan around building a structure to house your flotation, and finding a way to anchor it. So for me, a flat rail with FRP on top, about 40 to 50 feet long, with a transition that starts below the water line.