Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       07-02-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
So i have been riding a slingshot response since 08. I have had an 08, 09, & 10. I love the speed of these boards but i feel like the pop has been lost. It could be due to the fact that i ride rails and that this is my 2nd season on this board. But the other day i rode a marek nova and loved the pop off the wake and it was also a very fast board.

So my queston is what boards out there ride fast and have alot of pop off the wake. I hate the feeling of being drug throuh the water. This feeling is hard to describe but i have felt it on a hyperlite imperial. I just feels like i am plowing though the water and i have to work so much harder. Thats why i liked the marek cause it felt like it rode ontop of the water instead of plowing through it.

In general do the traditionl boards get more pop off the wake than flex boards?
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-02-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
Have you tried the Reflex or Kine. I felt like both of these were pretty nice fast and poppy. If you are looking for a non flex board I like the Harley It compares to the SS boards except it is not as loose and it doesn't land as soft.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-02-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
I had a '09 SS response as my only board for last 2 years, but wanted more pop for wake riding. Got a chance to demo a harley, whip and watson hybrid. all where fast, and more pop than the older response. I like some flex, so passed on the harley, although it was easy to go huge on it. The whip was fun and stable, but I wish I could of demo'd the lyman. The whip seems like the continuous rocker version of the lyman. I ended up with the watson hybrid and love it. its fast and flex's and I get better and more consistent pop than the response.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-02-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
I ride the '12 Ronix One Timebomb. It is very fast. Loose when you need it to be, but hooks on edge immediately and holds though the wake and releases with ease. Pop is extremely good IMO.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2012, 6:50 PM Reply   
Ronix Mana dean smith edition. This is fast stable forigiving and with its late kick rocker it explodes off the wake like no other board I have ridden. I have had a. Response a reflex and just rose a 2012 Hooke to compare. I keep going back to the Mana as it snaps off te wake with a kick.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-14-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Ronix Mana dean smith edition. This is fast stable forigiving and with its late kick rocker it explodes off the wake like no other board I have ridden. I have had a. Response a reflex and just rose a 2012 Hooke to compare. I keep going back to the Mana as it snaps off te wake with a kick.
I too like the Mana, best board I've ridden. I used to ride an 02 premier 140, then 05 LF substance 138, then an 09 and 10 mana which were the same basic shape with molded fins. Those boards rode through the water. I liked finless with the molded fins, the mana I run with the center fins and it never feels LOCKED in or like I have a late release from the wake, it pops and releases fast, but I never slide out on my landings, seems pretty fast for a 3 stage board, not as fast as the viva but I like it a lot, rides on top of the water and it pops hard.
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-14-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I too like the Mana, best board I've ridden. I used to ride an 02 premier 140, then 05 LF substance 138, then an 09 and 10 mana which were the same basic shape with molded fins. Those boards rode through the water. I liked finless with the molded fins, the mana I run with the center fins and it never feels LOCKED in or like I have a late release from the wake, it pops and releases fast, but I never slide out on my landings, seems pretty fast for a 3 stage board, not as fast as the viva but I like it a lot, rides on top of the water and it pops hard.
You like the center fin? That would be my only complaint of the mana. I find the center fins help the board carve hard, but oddly seem to catch/lock more than my last board. I am coming off a subtle 3 stage board with 4 outer fins in the Hyperlite Forefront. Even with large beginner fins on my toe side I felt like surface slides were easier with 2 funs at the ends vs 1 in the middle.

Other than that, I find the mana perfect. It tracks well, landing in the flats arent bad (suprisingly), it's really fast for a 3 stage board (or really any board), and pops like nothing I've ridden.

On that note I'm quite sad Ronix is discontining my setup. I love my Ronix Cells/Mana combo. I guess the cells are transitioning to the Code 55 boot, but what about the mana? It seems like the shape is being phased out.

Last edited by Indyxc; 09-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-14-2012, 10:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
You like the center fin? That would be my only complaint of the mana. I find the center fins help the board carve hard, but oddly seem to catch/lock more than my last board. I am coming off a subtle 3 stage board with 4 outer fins in the Hyperlite Forefront. Even with large beginner fins on my toe side I felt like surface slides were easier with 2 funs at the ends vs 1 in the middle.

Other than that, I find the mana perfect. It tracks well, landing in the flats arent bad (suprisingly), it's really fast for a 3 stage board (or really any board), and pops like nothing I've ridden.

On that note I'm quite sad Ronix is discontining my setup. I love my Ronix Cells/Mana combo. I guess the cells are transitioning to the Code 55 boot, but what about the mana? It seems like the shape is being phased out.
New MANA, yes center fins, old, no.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-02-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
Just jumped ship from a 2010 one to kine. Love it. Pops just as hard but lands so much softer and is much faster and looser. Amazing board
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-13-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
I second the Ronix mana. Fast board and pops like crazy.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-13-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
LF Harley, very fast and fells like it rides on top of the water.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       09-13-2012, 9:23 PM Reply   
My 2 recommendations for what you're looking for are gonna be either the OBrien Format or Contra

Format: The Format has a really fast shape, due to the large delta base which you definitely notice makes a difference with drag. The progressive rocker is very fast, very poppy and has extremely soft landings. The Fusion core adds a tiny bit of flex in the board which helps snap you off the wake, and softens your landings even more. Overall this will be a very fast board, an easy and loose feel while still edging hard, loads of pop and insanely soft landings.

Contra: In my words, the Contra is the Format on steroids. They took the same idea of a fast riding board, snappy Fusion core, and added a massive 3 stage rocker. The delta base is still on this board which again really makes a difference with drag. The three channels through the base of the board and exiting through the tips makes insane thrust to the wake. Again the Fusion core helps snap you off the wake, and helps with softening landings!

Both boards are an amazing ride, and both are insanely lightweight!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-14-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
LF harley
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-14-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Second on the timebomb! Totally different ride from last years one.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-14-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
I rode this years mana a month or so ago and thought it felt really slow compared to my tribute. The pop had a little more abruptness but nothing incredible. I think the lf trip pops better. My next board will probably be the marek.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
OBRIEN CONTRA! super fast! 3 stage rocker,has the delta base to reduce drag. tracks super good! test one out!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-14-2012, 6:16 PM Reply   
LF Harley or Trip would be my recommendations