Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (RPX)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Hi Guys.
I have a Fish 133, but unfortunately this board is out of the line and I need a new one.
So... which new board is more like Fish?
My ride style is progressive edge for wake to wake airs with a lot of pop (perfect for the Fish).
I prefere rotations with grab and my boat's wake isn't big.
I'm a 6'2, 198 lbs and a like smaller boards with wide stance.
Thanks
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
I also ride a fish 133 and everyone who rides my board loves how it feels and perorms! It's such a fun board. I wish LF had continued to produce the wide shape with the huge spine down the middle because it makes the board really loose with a ton of pop. I have looked around for a replacement and the best thing i could find is the CWB Transcend 138.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-14-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
6'2" 200 lbs and you ride a 133???????????
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-14-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Jeff, the fish was really wide and they marketed it that you could ride 10cm shorter of a board.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
I made the same exact transition. I left the fish133 for a shane 140 (now 142) and it was smooth. The fish is shaped similarly to the shane in that they both have the molded in cupped fins and the spine in the middle. The shane is also a wider deck than most so it rides similar to the fish but is a little faster and has WAY more pop. If you are looking for an easy transition I would highly recommend the shane.

Not the stupid flex one from 2012 either, get the normal deck.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
I also used to ride a 133 Fish. I tried to find another one when mine started to show its age, and quickly found that 133 is the most popular size. Anyway, as you said, it is hard to find them at all now...

Anyway, I also rode the Shane for a bit. But then I discovered the Groove - that is Colin Harrington's new pro model. It isn't short like the Fish, but it is wide and loose/forgiving like the Fish. Same sort of variable edge like the Fish too, although it doesn't have the big keel like the Fish. I have been on the Groove for nearly two years now and really enjoying it.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
+1 for the Groove..I personally went from the Fish to the Company Severance and love it. I normally rode my Fish without fins and felt the speed and tracking was somewhat similar.
Old     (RPX)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-15-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
The problem is that the Groove is out too (2010 was the last year).
What about the Watson Classic?
I was looking on the Wake World website and the Watson 138 has the wider mid (17.28 in) and the wider stance (26 in). Groove 138 (mid 17.09 in, stance 25).
The Shane 138 has the same measures as the Watson but more rocker (more pop?).
Are these measures trustworthy?
One more question?
Are the Shane bindings more flexible than the Watson?
Thanks

Last edited by RPX; 09-15-2011 at 7:44 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Try a small Marius. It's pretty damn wide.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
Fish, Groove & Severance...all the boards I like are discontinued. Either I have bad taste in boards or bad luck..

You may like the Watson Classic. It was one of the boards I tried before dropping my Fish. I liked it, but it was slightly tighter and slower. I did feel the pop was slightly better. I would try before you buy. You may be able to find a great deal on a leftover Groove. I know they were not a extremely popular board.
Old     (spridle)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-15-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards..._142_Image.jpg
Old     (RPX)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-15-2011, 7:37 PM Reply   
Henry... the shane looks realy cool and I'm realy think about it
J-Rod... Marius looks fun, but it'y heavy
Shooter... This shop has the bests price and $ 160 for a 2010 Groove it's a good deal. But the Shane and the Watson classic are a little widers with wider stance (Groove 25.5 in, shane and watson 27 in - big diference) and that is important for me.

Anyone tryed the Watson bindings... are they stiffer than the shane...
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       09-19-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Watsons are stiffer then the shakes. I rode the shane board & boots for a while and loved it! highly recommend it.
Old     (lffish133)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2011, 10:36 PM Reply   
I also love the old LF Fish shape. It is a great board. I rode both the 129 and 133. I went from the Fish shape to the first Shane shape (06-08), I liked the board for the most part, but I did not like the cupped side fins, at times I felt they hitched up on the wake when I was trying to spin. Then I tried Witness and the Groove, they were both terrible, not nearly as surfy feeling as the Fish. Now I ride the newer Shane (09-11). This is the best board I have ever ridden hands down. It feels more like the Fish than any other board I have ridden, it is a bit faster, but it is soooo much smoother edge to edge. If you love the Fish, you will love this board. Now this board too has been discontinued and in it's place is hybrid version. I'm in no hurry to try it tho =]