Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-22-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Jon..hmm Andrew Adkison, Rusty Malinoski , Zane Schwenk, Parks Bonifay, Shane Bonifay, Nicola Butler, and so on..

Not that we bought our Mastercraft because of any one person but I do think that boat sponsorships are important for the sport. I would like to think the boat company's support the riders and same in return. I do agree that sponsored riders don't necessarily equal sales in boats.

(Message edited by mofreestyle on October 22, 2009)
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-22-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
jon4pres- I'd love you to take that logic to the nations top advertising firms. You think celebrity/athlete endorsements "do not equate to sales?" Why does nearly every big name brand have these endorsements?

Dare you to tell Wheaties about their mistakes through the years. lol
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-22-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
I don't think its really about a pro rider 'selling' the boat, its all about branding. I would think a rider is sponsored because it gets the name out more - a better rider is going to be in more comps, more videos, more appearances, etc. The more appearances, the more you see that boat around the pro, wearing a shirt, riding in/behind it, basically beating the name of that boat into your memory. Branding is almost more subliminal. I think the whole goal of branding is to let the GENERAL public know who you are and what you offer, to make your product a household name.

For instance... have you ever talked to anyone who ISN'T into boating or wakeboarding? Ask them to name a boat or brand..? It would be funny to know what the majoritys' answer would be.

Yes, you may find some people buy a $500 board because so and so pro rides it, but when it comes to 50-100k for a boat there's not too many people that would buy a boat based on sponsorship. You pick a boat because its right for you - size, budget, options, wake shape, and personal preference on styling, comfort, what you are using it for, etc. But for the general Joe Schmoe who wakes up one day and decides he wants a wakeboard boat, he most likely is going to look at the Big 3 first because of brand recognition. And that's really the name of the game, getting people to look at your product and take it into consideration.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-22-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
You think celebrity/athlete endorsements "do not equate to sales?"

Tiger Woods and Nike? ... yes, Yes! YES !!!

Tiger Woods and Buick? ... ??? ... ... ...
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-22-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Well you dont have to drive a car to golf. You do however need a boat to wakeboard( for the most part).
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-22-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
As someone who works for an Advertising firm, I have to weigh in. Celebrity endorsements are a weird thing. Some of them work great others somewhat, some don't affect your companies sales at all and some do the complete opposite of what you where trying to do. I can say I agree with stuey in that for the most part the endorsements are about the "brand" and "Branding" but at the end of the day no gives a flip about brands its all about the bottom line and sales. Every marketing a company does is meant to drive sales. Some are just more direct than others.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-22-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
So, who on this site bought their boat as result of the pro riders that manufacturer had on their team?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-22-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
I can pretty much guarantee that nearly all boat companies will be cutting members from their teams for next season. You can all talk about it all you want, but this economy will make a business do some unexplainable or uncomprehendable things....
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-23-2009, 4:02 AM Reply   
This comes as a big surprise to me.
Seemed like they were working pretty hard to push Rathy.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-23-2009, 5:03 AM Reply   
I will admit Gerry Nunn had a huge part of our decision. We started looking at boats at the Orlando Malibu dealer a few years ago. We started looking at used boats and actually either Shapiros or Nunns boat they were preparing to turn in. Our salesman actually arranged for my parents to got out to Gerry's house to see his boat. Unfortunately I had to fly home, but they went out and Gerry not only showed them the ins and outs of the VLX, but also took them out while they free rode. After talking with him and spending some time in the boat, it was a done deal. I have not regretted it since. My only regret is I didnt buy the boat there, but at the dealer near my home. I can honestly say Gerry Nunn pretty much sealed the deal. Not one of their big name pros at the time, but one of their lesser known names.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
When I tell non-wakeboarders about my boat and tell them that is a Centurion an inboard, most of the times they don't get it. Then I say it is like a Mastercraft and then presto, the light goes on.

Why do you think that MC, Nauti, and Bu can charge higher margins and be considered the prestige brand inboards. Branding. Yes they make a quality product, but at the end of the day a wakeboat is a fiberglass tub with a drive unit, seating, and some gadgets, and you can qet a quality wakeboard experience behind any properly weighted wake specific hull, but the lore of the marketing and branding builds name recognition, prestige, and an air of superioirty among owners on wakeboard forums.

I am sure Rathy will land or has already landed behind some other boat. Too big of a name and nice of a guy not to.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
Familiarity, comfort, reputation, value. Those 4 things dictate the person's choices to buy. Some are edge of the art buyers who want to be the first. Others are early adopters who are just behind the bleeding edge folks. Then you have the masses. Finally, the indecisive who wait for the final verdict before making a decision. The masses and the indecisive make up the bulk of the market. Those respond to brand, endorsement, word-of-mouth, and will search the internet for reviews. They are the bulk of the "market." Epic, Wakecraft, etc are for the bleeding edge folks who have all of the beta versions before the release date. You know who you are.
Old     (brock_sampson)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-23-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   

quote:

Yes, you may find some people buy a $500 board because so and so pro rides it, but when it comes to 50-100k for a boat there's not too many people that would buy a boat based on sponsorship. You pick a boat because its right for you - size, budget, options, wake shape, and personal preference on styling, comfort, what you are using it for, etc. But for the general Joe Schmoe who wakes up one day and decides he wants a wakeboard boat, he most likely is going to look at the Big 3 first because of brand recognition. And that's really the name of the game, getting people to look at your product and take it into consideration.

True to an extent.
I have an 02 x-star, purchased for resale value as well as knowing (at the time) the 1080 was landed behind it, and if Parks could do that, then that wake would be good enough take me through whatever level of riding I eventually reach.

I am perfectly content with my boat and may keep it until my riding days are done.... HOWEVER-

I have done clinics with some very personable and outstanding pros on other boats. Just because of the fun I had on those days, and the progression I made on those days, I have all of a sudden become a fan of Supras.
I had riden supras before, and although I liked them and found no problems with them, they never popped up on on my radar as a purchase option.

Suddenly, I have a great day at a clinic and I have placed Supra on the list- something that likely never would have happened had Kyle Scmidt not been out pushing the brand.

Joe Schmoe may not buy based on sponsorships, But a hardcore rider may unexpectedly see the merit of another brand by watching a video segment or taking a clinic. That hardcore rider in turn could influence a TON of friends just by having them out.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
We all have to know he wasn't just dropped out of the blue. You can almost guarantee that he was warned more than one time to stop putting out videos on the net of his riding behind an xstar. He probably thought they were all talk because who would drop the best rider in the world and that's exactly what they did. My opinion atleast.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I agree with most of what is being said it is all about brand recognition and sure these sponsorships help with that some but the truth is that Pro Wakeboarding is not very mainstream at all so there is no comparing a wakeboarder who 95% of the public has never seen and someone like Tiger Woods who is on TV every day.

I would also say that wakeworld members are an exception. The guys on here love the sport and the boats that support it. On my lake I see more inboards pulling tubes and wakesurfers than wakeboarders and I would venture to guess that more and more inboard buyers are uninterested in wakeboarding.

Who knows maybe Rathy pushed the wrong buttons because he wanted to get dropped so that he could move on to a better deal for him.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-23-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Why doesn't MC snatch him up?

I know most of you are pretty experienced and know what you want and have opinions from friends, get to ride behind different boats and so forth. However, I am new and green to the sport, so here is my perspective about influence which is probably greater on those that have not already formed an opinion.

I think his videos are pretty amazing, and most importantly readily available. Besides the nautique stickers on his board, I had no true idea that he was on thier "team". But at the same time, I didn't think he was a mastercraft guy either. One thing about my purchases, is I want to make sure that I have equipment that does not inhibit me (i.e., no excuses when I suck). I don't mean that I am so good or that I need the best, but I want to know my bad riding (cycling, golfing, or whatever) is due to my lack of performance, not my equipment, I would rather blame myself and force myself to improve. When I see these guys out there, I know they have the best and are doing the most with what equipment they have. That being said, I am probably more likely to buy one of the big 3 to be safe, as to which of the big 3, I would probably be more likely to look at personal preference to the specfic models available, but if I see ALL or MOST of the riders on one brand, that is going to shade my decision some, but it isn't everything. For instance, I bought a used nautique for my first boat, trusting from everything I have read that the wake wouldn't suck, and knowing by their reputation they were dedicated to the product. Not saying other brands were not as good b/c I would have bought another brand if one was available at the right price, but feeling confident that as one of the larger brands it would be good enough for me.

In short I think it makes a difference, and if they get 10 extra boats sold during the year due to each rider, I am sure it is worth it, in addition to keeping the brand name up in general. My guess is that the marketing is more directed to the green people like me and a little less to the people who are experienced and already have a riding style and prefer a certain brand over another, knowing marketing is not going to change their mind.

All in all, his riding is pretty amazing, and I would not have dropped him due to the videos b/c they are getting more air play than most no matter what boat he was behind. Short of him saying that he preferred another brand over nautique, him being on the team would tell me he supported the brand, and I would assume preferred the brand. It is not like Nautique is a crappy brand and he is having to ride the MC to land something he couldn't do on the Nautique.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
I won't buy a boat necessarily because a certain person rides for them or promotes them. But I do respect companies for supporting certain riders or supporting a certain team as opposed to others. So even to a non-"green" person, who the manufacturer supports matters.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-23-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
I am sure there are a lot of reasons why Nautique and Rathy parted ways.

Does being a good rider entitle you to a boat? and I would never buy a boat because of who rides behind it.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-23-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
Good point Ewing. Look at Lyman, if it was based purely on riding ability I would think Lyman would have the pick of the litter. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a boat deal.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
In this day and age companies have to manage their expenses closely, quite a few riders did or will get different contracts than they did in the past, boat companies are all feeling the pinch right now.

While it sucks to see a rider dropped I think long term companies like CC are trying to make some big time moves within the industry. I would not be surprised to see some of the healthier companies make some aquisitions in the future and I'm not talking about pikcing up a rider.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-23-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Wow, Corey, are you serious? Or am I reading too much into what I think you are saying? Possible merge of certain boat manufacturers? I'll believe it when I see it.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Once again, I can almost guarantee that it had nothing to do with these internet videos floating around. This is the way these guys train for contests. Do you think Rathy wants to be riding behind a 230 wake all week and then go right to a PWT stop? All of the pro's do this: before Wake Games, Nationals or Masters, everyone goes a rides behind a Nautique. They all try to train behind a Mastercraft for the PWT, a Malibu for Wakestock or Malibu Open and a Supra for Worlds.
I have to think that podiums are of a way higher value than a few random internet videos (no offense to the makers of these videos, obviously).
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
I've heard rumblings, and not ones I would have put together. There are a lot of things that would need to line up first. FWIW MC is not one of the companies involved.

Bet you miss MN, its snowing right now!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-23-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, I miss it terribly. It's 80, sunny with no wind here in AZ.

nautique and Bu would be a nice merge. It would give Nautique a price point boat with the v-ride. I just can't see any 2 of the big 3 merging. Crazy talk. Nautique and MB? That would be cool. MB has a very innovative ballast system. oh well, conjecture means nothing, we'll see what shakes out, if anything.

Rathy should take some of those earnings and just buy a damn boat. Then he can do what ever he wants.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-23-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
His contract ended. Nautique wishes him the best of luck in the future.

No bridges were burned.

(Message edited by juniorhawk on October 23, 2009)
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-23-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
^^^^^ http://www.fuel.tv/erikjernberg/blogs/view/76588?item=60096&type=Blog

kinda funny, 60+ posts into it, and no one had yet mentioned that possibility. sure did get everyone talking though. the popcorn sure was good...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-23-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
There must be some reason that they didn't resign him though. Either they offered too little, he wanted too much, he didn't get along with correct craft, correct craft didn't get along with him or he wanted to do something different and get a change of scenery.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-23-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Exactly, Brett. His contract ended, then what?

(Message edited by eaglejackson on October 23, 2009)
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-23-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yeah okay his contract Ended Drop Adam Wensink (SORRY dude) maybe even Mckee and keep the best rider in the world! At the end of the day you need to sit back and look The X1 STILL sells a ton of boats because people no how good they are because PARKS OWNED behind that boat!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
When College football coaches don't get there contract extended or renewed, it is viewed the same as being shown the door or a parting of ways on the coches behalf. The simple explanation of 'his contract ended' is akin, to 'no comment'.

I'm sure there is more pop-corn to be had.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-23-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Contract ended, the economy sucks, boat sales are down and CC has a big Family of some of the best riders in the world that have been with Nautique for a long time.

I know if I had to choose between Harf, Murray, Byerly and Rathy, Rathy would go.

Not for any other reason but the other 3 have been with CC for a long time and have been very loyal to CC for many, many years..

I wish Rathy the best and I know he will be fine, he is one of the best of the best.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I want to hear more about this merger thing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
^ if some of the big 3 companies do a merger i'll eat my face.... i wouldn't rule out a buyout, but merger... nah.

2011 MalibuCraft, or Correct Bu or Mastertique

nope.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-23-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
"When College football coaches don't get there contract extended or renewed, it is viewed the same as being shown the door or a parting of ways on the coches behalf. The simple explanation of 'his contract ended' is akin, to 'no comment'.

I'm sure there is more pop-corn to be had."

Thats not always the case. Target and Buick both ended their contracts with Tiger Woods and everyone knows he is the ambassador of golf.

Maybe with Rathy's rise to the top of wakeboarding, Nautique and Rathy could not reach a deal acceptible to both parties. Rathy's riding definitely commands a deal comparable to the other top riders, and with the economy the way it is, there isn't the money there used to be. Do you fault Nautique? Do you fault Rathy? Both parties have to do what they feel is best for them.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-23-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
^I dont know, those names have a real ring to them. Hopefully they read this thread and get the wheels in motion, if for nothing more than to form a brand called Correct Bu
Old     (backflop)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-23-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
I personally like Mastertique
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-23-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
How about MasterBuTique or BuTiqueCraft
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-23-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
^^ Those sound like the names of flower shops

AtTheLake:

When a college coach's contract isn't renewed, isn't it usually because they didn't do a good enough job coaching the team and keeping them reputable? granted there are other reasons sometimes, but thats most often the case. I don't see how that's much different as far as maybe Rathy just didn't push the Nautique product hard enough to their liking. But you're right, saying that "the contract was up" is not the end of it. Its just that everyone was looking at it as he got "dropped" as in terminated before his contract was up, and there's some big beef between the two. No one had said a thing about contracts expiring being a possibility. I'm just as curious as everyone else is to hear WHY they didn't renew it.

(Message edited by benbuchholz on October 23, 2009)
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
wow. everyones wrong! haha
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
wakeworld's version of a knitting circle. what a bunch of chicks!
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-23-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
Joe Umali I've watched you for awhile. It's a good thing you're part of this. Knitting circle or pigpile, all of us chicks thank you for welcoming us to your chick club. You're a real self-starter.
Old     (cjsacm1yahoocom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-23-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
With what little detail we have, and as simply as we can put it; Aaron Rathy is no longer with Nautique. Early today, message boards were abuzz with terminology like "he was dropped".

That's simply does not appear to be the case. And yes - we checked.

As a matter of fact, Aaron Rathy's contract with Nautique ended. Nautique recognizes Rathy as a terrific athlete and they wish him the best in the future. Where he goes now, nobody knows. The fella has been pretty much killing lately it so it would seem that the choice is his in terms of next steps.

Our style at FUEL is not to overtly muckrake, push rumors or anything of the sort but we are doing some serious investigative journalism on this matter. Simply put, we're seeking more information. A change in boat sponsor is a big deal. And when you're dealing with a heavy hitter (Rathy) and a top-shelf wake boat brand (Nautiques by Correct Craft), more information is desired in this quick-paced Internet culture. If you're here and are reading, you know what we're talking about.

Without overstepping our bounds, we have calls, texts, Facebook messages, and carrier pigeon messages to Rathy and his crew to get more information. Connections, dear travelers. They're good for times like this.

This is just a guess from one editor, but it would not be surprising if Rathy's next boat sponsor is a big shocker. Somehow we think he's not going from an aqua BMW to an aqua Mercedes-Benz. Rather we predict a more clever path. Perhaps an aqua Tesla or aqua Lotus. Stay tuned. We're digging into this one. More to follow, for sure.....got that from google
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-23-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
www.sorryiclickedonthislinkcanihavemy10minutesback please.com
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-23-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Everyone’s wrong? Well ... ok ... probably ... but ... to lesser or greater degrees.

Everyone is curious about a skilled but enigmatic figure. And ... each is privileged to speculate about what happened based on ... well, any reasonable premise ... like common sense reckoning of the state of the business world today.

For what purpose? To get at the truth ... not an enduring truth but for a momentary understanding of a surprising development in a current event.

And the truth is ??? That ... yes that ... it is the vanishing target. In the end, there is likely (not an agreed upon truth but) only versions. One side’s version versus another’s ... one group of followers version against a bunch of others’.

And then there is another kind of quantity on WW. The persistent know-it-all (and does not) pot-stirrer who ... despite high volume postings ... has an odd disability for attracting participation in prayer quests.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-23-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
http://www.fuel.tv/erikjernberg/blogs/view/76588?item=60096&type=Blog
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-23-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
Boats are too hard to sell these days. The best rider in the world is not going to persuade some family of four to buy a 75k-100k wakeboat when there is 10% unemployment country wide. Companies have to shave costs somehow. Maybe Nautique thought their marketing dollars are better spent elsewhere, or maybe they couldn't afford him, who knows. Honestly, dude is great, he'll land on his feet somewhere. I'm sure the other great riders without boat deals aren't holding any benefits for the guy.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-23-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
I think his next boat sponsor will be an intriguing one. I have nothing to base this on - it's just a gut feeling.
Old     (liquidboarder935)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-24-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
I think he should go with AXIS the boat and wake is sick!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I think he will go with Standard Boat Co. Because the hull is a SN2001 which is still the OG of inboard boats when it comes to wakeboarding. This will boost marketing value to all of us with 23 year old boats!
I think we can all look at this thread and see that the season has already ended for a lot of folks, at least this one hasn't gotten ugly...yet!
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-24-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Epic 23V + Rathy = WOW!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-24-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Yes Fred ... I feel the same way. Give Aaron Rathy some time behind an Epic and in no time he'll tame that wake, and take the sport to untold extremes.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-24-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
the best 2009 rider with the best boat... nothing else to say!!! Epic have to jump on this opportunity... it should be good for Aaron and Epic!!!
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-24-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'm not really sure what Epic brings that other company's don't. All the top wake boats have incredible wakes. I know Epic has 4000lbs stock ballast but I imagine he was running more than that in his 230 or Nicola's x-star.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-24-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
Epic (and Aaron if he wants to listen in), do you understand? There is purportedly a revolutionary wake on the scene. The scene already has a revolutionary rider. Could there be a meeting of the talent?

I’m in a buyer demographic who is definitely not influenced by Aaron endorsing a CC 230.

Wait a minute, let me back up. Am I not alone here ... or .. are there a lot of fans of Aaron Rathy?

About four years ago, only then did my career graduate to a level of comfort where I could afford to buy a major brand wake boat. I went with the CC 211.

I plan to upgrade in about two years. I’ve been 100% sure I would upgrade to the CC 230 – regardless whether Murray, Harf, Rathy .. you name ‘em ... ride behind it or not. (And I admire all those riders.) No MC for me, no Malibu, Tige, Supra/Moomba, Centurion etc (have no knowledge of Sangers MB’s Sfvarras and the rest). Brand loyalty is brand loyalty ... it is what it is ... and ... it is blinding.

The only intriguing boat out there is the Epic 23V. Aaron Rathy’s endorsement of that boat could do wonders for changing minds already convinced to go elsewhere.

Let me put it like this.

Does Tiger Woods’ continuing or discontinued endorsement of Buick influence me much? No. not at all. I don’t want a Buick.

Does Aaron Rathy’s continuing or discontinued endorsement of the CC 230 influence me much? No. not at all. I already know I want that boat.

Would videos of Aaron Rathy looking more super-human than he already is behind an Epic wake influence purchasing my decision. Yes.

On here, WakeWorld, many of us are savvy, but, we have a weak spot:-- we’re gullible. We would buy that boat thinking like we were buying Superman’s cape.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2009, 5:06 AM Reply   
I think it is healthy that people are a buzz about this. I have no idea what is going on but if there was no interest on Rathey and CC parting ways on WW that would be bad. It is a measure of the sports following. Obviously this not a Tiger or Lebron story but I sure hope it would stir the interest of ww readers

Check out the blogs of even minor colleges sports teams. Something of this nature would generate a lot more chatter than what is going on here. Heck, even some high school teams would have more internet chatter on something like this.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2009, 5:16 AM Reply   
"On here, WakeWorld, many of us are savvy, but, we have a weak spot:-- we’re gullible. We would buy that boat thinking like we were buying Superman’s cape."
Thanks for not over- stereotyping.

There are many types of sponsorships. Many times it is nothing more than being on the team. No money and no boat. A decent to great discount on buying. Sometime it is because of a local relationship with a dealer or regional. A top 30 rider may get an old boat from a camp. I have seen checks as much as 150 per month (Wow). Even those were cut over the last year. Then theres the Byerlys. A whole different world. Rathey is in between the 2.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
Anyone that spends $50K + on a boat because some punk kid rides behind it and does flips is a dumb*@&!!! Anyone that believes people actually do this either doesn't know about hard work and value of that money or is a dumb*@&!!! Enough said.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-25-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Ok Sam. At least you sign your posts with your name, as I do.

There are a lot of X2 owners who own that boat just particularly because of what Parks did and could do behind it. So they are ?!?!?!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
That's not true, they bought the boat for it's quality and wake. Parks, Byerly, and the others can do the stuff they do behind a Ranger if they wanted to.

Look at that old video of Byerly, he's behind an outboard.

So you are saying if the X2 was the exact same boat that it is but Parks rode behind a Tige', those people that bought the X2 would have bought the Tige'? I'm calling BS!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-25-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Yes Sam you are right..Byerly can throw down alot of hammers behind the ranger.. However Nothing epic or HUGE ever went down be hind one But parks didnt throw a 1080 behind the ranger if he DID THE RANGER WOULD BE EPIC!!!!!!!!!! i think you need to get a degree in advertising! or study up more on your boats because the ranger
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-25-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
just because Foshee did a pete 7 at TSR doens't mean I'm going to ride that cable.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
You obviously haven't dropped the $50k + on anything!
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-25-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
i wouldnt ride at tsr becuse tom fooshee landed a pete 7 there. i dont even like the look of the kicker he threw it off. but i would be massivly influenced to ride at tsr becuse tom fooshee rides there! but i suppose thats a place and not a product so its irrelivent anyway
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
I agree, it doesn't cost $50k + to ride TSR...
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-25-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Sam what are you ranting about? I own two boats. The one in my profile is in excess of $50k. When I add up maintenance, storage, licensing, gas, accessories, etc., the cost is twice maybe three times that. It is not a pleasant number. What gives with you? I don't really care ... but I do like to see, in this post and every other you've blasphemed, your petulant insults. It bespeaks so ... so? ... so ... so you.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Are you saying you bought that boat because a pro was riding that boat and doing flips behind it? Dumb*@&, keep with the topic of the discussion. My point is that no one buys a boat for that reason.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-25-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
"I’ve often wondered became of that kid. Am I not dealing with him, or his like kind, now in the form of Sam Ingram?"

Hehehehehehe....Thanks for the laugh.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-25-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
Two things to consider.....

Would there have been the mass interest in Axis if it were not for Vandall?

Would there have been the mass interest in Wakecraft if it were not for Dan Dulong?
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-25-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
I wouldn't usually get into a post like this, but I just opened my Nautique newsletter from Wakeboaring Mag and saw that James Stewart received his brand new 2010 230. WTF is James Stewart we might all be asking, I am for sure. Well, he is a "Nautique Athlete" and legendary motocross rider. It didn't say he got it for free, but with all of the assumptions made in this post already I don't feel like I should get crucified for one more. So if he is getting a free boat, there is a reason why Rathy got his taken away. I've never seen a wakeboarder sell a dirtbike, so you can't blame this on the economy, or on pro riders be excellent salesmen.
http://blog.teamnautique.com/2009/09/james-stewart-receives-his-2010-super-air-nautique-230/
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-25-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
whos dan dulong? i heard rathy got his nautique taken away on that repo show then right after that bounty hunter took him
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-25-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
LOL...

Randall... Nautique has the best wake so I ride behind a Nautique...

Malibu has the best wake...

Axis has the best wake...

Can't wait till axis dumps him and Ranger signs him...
Old     (davidr)      Join Date: May 2007       10-25-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
wow, can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading that. i heard he's going to start kneeboarding and specializing in the airchair............
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
I bet all the boat companies are reading these posts and thinking...

our athletes are not selling boats? we better drop all our athletes
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-26-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
The only boat that I think truly influenced peoples purchasing decision was when the new xstar came out at parks rode behind it. Also I still think people are influenced to buy the new star because EVERY video is behind it. You almost get better publicity when non team riders have vids behind it like rathy kept doing. We know that the 230 is the arguably the best wake in the business next to the xstar and he still chooses the star.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-26-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
it seems like almost every boat the pros use in the vids is either an xstar, vlx or lsv
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-26-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
Or an old school 210. BTW Rathy, you owe me one...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have been around the sport since the beginning and can tell you that a pro rider can make all the difference in the world on boat sales, if he is in front of you. I have watched Cobe, Zane, Necrassen and others close deals for years. Not necessarily because someone saw a video of them, but they can sell with enthusiasm about why the boat is so good.

Murray is the master sales guy for his board. If you are even kinda of thinking of a board purchase and run into Murray, you will own a murray.

There is plenty of the public that is swayed by the riders, at least for boards. Not sure that applies to boats, but it doesn't hurt. It does not cost boat companies much to give away a boat for the year, assuming it is taken care of. Let's say a boat company loses $10K having to sell a pro riders used boat. That is CHEAP advertising. Now when you start talking salaries, than I think the rider has to do far more than just ride on the boat. There are plenty of guys like Andrew Adkinson are fantastic at sales and personal appearances. That guy is worth whatever he makes.

So could Rathy help Axis, MB, or others, YES. Everything has a value. If he sells 6 boats a season he is worth something. If it is just a matter of a free boat and a few expenses than absolutely.

Rathy is a humble and smart kid that will end up with a great company that believes and supports him. He was nothing but a true professional for Delta Sessions 2 and has always handled himself well. I wish him the best and know that is more than deserving.