Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-24-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
I've got two Optima blue tops that are going on just over 4 years old now. Do you guys just run them until they die? I definitely don't want to get to the lake one day and the boat won't start, but I also don't want to replace them until I have to. Thoughts? I've never charged these batteries once as I use the boat nearly year round.

-Thanks
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
I don't have a blue top, but I have a yellow top deep cycle that started it's life 7 years ago in my S10 pickup. I sold that truck, but kept the battery and put it in my wife's tahoe where it stayed for two years. We sold it and, again, I kept the battery. It has now spent a season and a half as the only battery in our Supra 21V. It stayed in the boat all winter long and was expecting to have to replace it this spring, but it kept its charge and fired up with no problems. Every time I moved it was supposed to be temporary. If your blue tops are anything like my yellow top, it is just getting broken in!

(Message edited by cocheese on June 24, 2009)
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I put a sears deep cycle marine battery in our boat about 9 years ago. I take it out in the winter, charge it a few times.....still cranking strong.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Go and have them load tested at Sears.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-24-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
7 years?! Wow, that's awesome. Thanks...it does seem like a good idea to go have it tested.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-24-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I had a 2 year old car battery tested at a shop because my car wouldn't start. They said it was bad. I bought a new battery and found out that the battery wasn't the problem. 90% chance the first battery was fine, so I don't know how much I trust those load testers or the people who use them. Just a point of info.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-24-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Just take care of your batteries and replace them when they die