Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-17-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
This would be a nice changeover, from carb to TBI, getting away from the carburetor headaches, kind of expensive, but I think it would be nice for the long run.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...tem-29-44.html
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Hey Ken, I just did this conversion on my 94 Malibu Echelon last spring. It pretty easy to do. There are some ways to make it cheaper though. I got my wire harness, adapter plate, computer, fuel pump and sensors from Affordable Fuel Injection. I bought the TBI unit from a wrecking yard off a 91 Chevrolet 350 for $50 and rebuilt it for $30. I got the distributor from the wrecking yard too for $50. The distributor from the TBI trucks is the same as the ones put in the boats. I went with out a o2 sensor. The kit was $900 from Affordable Fuel Injection. I had to modify my throttle linkage and also have some fuel hoses made up. It was a fun project but If I was going to do it again, I would replace the intake manifold with a multiport one and go full fuel injection. which again you could get most of the parts from a wrecking yard.

If you want to see photos of my TBI conversion let me know.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-17-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
Kyle
yeah, lets see some pics
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
Here are some photos of the engine with the TBI system installed. You can see the way I had to modify the linkage. Not too hard. I had custom fuel lines made too. The mechanical fuel pump was removed and a plate covered the hole on the block. The electric fuel pump is bracketed down where the original pump was. I had to remove the distributor and replace it with the new electronic style which gives you better advance because the computer controls it.
Attached Images

Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
The T fitting is my fuel return line which i put into the take over flow. I realized after I did this that I could of just returned it to the fuel water separator which would of saved me some cash on fuel hose. The computer is just like one out of a car so to protect it from heat and water its in a water proof plastic box on top of the gas tank. Its siliconed to the tank and held with a strap so it doesn't move. I also decided to put it there because the back of the boat bounces less so it wont get pounded when crossing double ups and rough water conditions. Also, the T fitting where the overflow is hooked to sticks straight up so that fuel wont go out the over flow valve. Its really low pressure. its not a problem. I have the timing set at 8deg BTDC, which is the same setting as the Mercruiser TBI ski motor. We started it at 2deg and it lacked torque. The engine is the same motor as the Merc TBI Ski motor, so setting it at 8deg made it perform awesome! After doing this project our fuel consumption dropped a lot, the engine is more powerful, and when turning for like a double up you don't have to use as much throttle because there are no floats messing up your fuel flow. Wake surfing is way better too. Over all I was very happy with the project. I also painted the outside of the throttle body to prevent corrosion.
Attached Images

Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
An extra electronic temp sender had to be installed for the computer. I went with an open loop system so theres no o2 sensor. When I rebuilt the TBI I replaced the IAC and throttle position sensor just so there would not be any problems.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-17-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
i was wondering where to put the ECM, now is the ECM calibrated for marine? or can you use the same ECM from the truck also, i have access to all that at the yard...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-17-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Some friends of mine make a good system that is adaptable to your needs.
http://www.sdsefi.com/
It is easily tuneable and they are good at customer service.
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-17-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
My ECM was programmed by Affordable Fuel Injection. You can't use a truck one because they run at different operating temps. Plus you would have to install a o2 sensor. You have to get one made for your application
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-18-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Kyle
what part of the couve are you in, next spring i might do this and might need to see hands on a couple of things, my profile says my old boat, i have a carb DD boat now...
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-18-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
I live on the east side off 162nd. I can totally help you out. Its not too hard to do, just more time consuming then anything. But if I did it the second time around, It would be faster. What type of boat and engine do you have? How mechanically inclined are you? I'm pretty damn good with boat engines. I was a technician at Riverside Marine at the Camas/Washougal boat launch for a few years before I went to work for Slingshot.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-18-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
lol... i also live off 162.. i PM you.....
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-18-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Sure thing! Hit me up or email me kylenautique@live.com or call me 360-798-8245 when ever.