Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
I have been working on upgradeing my ballast system and have a question on what I need to do to fix it/get it right.
I replaced the stock ballast tanks with bigger bags and after water testing I ran into a problem. I can fill each bag seperately, but cannot fill both bags at the same time. If I try to fill both bags the port side (left) will fill and the starboard (right) will not fill.
I used the existing thru hull fiitings to run this system, so that is why I ran things the way I did.
DETAILS:
boat - 06 Malibu VRide
intakes - (2) 3/4" thru hull fittings in the engine compartment.
pumps - new, tsunami, 1200 gph
bags - (2) fly high, 750 lbs.

I have attached a VERY crude drawing of my setup.
I have made efforts to ensure proper flow rates, so I do not "starve this system". Do I need to add a Primmer pump on the starboard intake?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-29-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
If you have two intakes, why did you combine them into the manifold?

Manifolds are used to reduce the number of intakes...ie one large intake can support three pumps. Have each pump connected to an intake and it should fix your problem.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
brian,
I am using 2 tsunami pumps (with 1-3/8" o.d. thread) and am trying to get by without drilling any new holes in the hull.
My previous (factory) system used (2) .75" ball valves (1) starboard- for the midship tank and (1) split, for the rear tanks

The manifold was just to get the 1-3/8" thread into somethig useable. Connecting both .75" intakes to the manifold, was an effort to provide proper flow for the pumps.

(Message edited by mikea on April 29, 2007)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
Hey Mike,

I don't have a clue for an answer for you, but could I ask why you're pulling and/or pulled the factory system? I have a 2007 Vride coming in a few weeks, and I'm curious if there is something wrong, or something you just weren't happy with on the 06.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-29-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
A lot of people are now into surfing, and they replace the factory 200 or 250lb tanks with 500-750lbs sacks. My friend has an 03 VLX (same as the current v-ride) and we are yanking out his 200lb. tanks and replacing them with fly high 750lb sacks. It will give him a MUCH better surf wake and a TON more room when the sacks are empty.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2007, 4:52 AM Reply   
I agree, just put the pumps on their own intakes. You won't be sacrificing any flow over what you have now, and it will eliminate the problem you're having. It sounds like one pump is overpowering the other. Is the fill line to the starboard sack longer, or more bends or other restrictions than the port side?
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
OK so I did another water test with things alittle more cleaned up and a clear idea of what I wanted to figure out.

I can fill one bag in about 8 minutes.
by my math that comes out to about 650 gallons per hr. that is pretty bad for a 1200 ghp pump!
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
do the gph on pumps really mean the stated gph or is that often inflated or overstated (by alot)?
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
By mike asch (mikea) on Sunday, April 29, 2007

"The manifold was just to get the 1-3/8" thread into somethig useable. Connecting both .75" intakes to the manifold, was an effort to provide proper flow for the pumps. "

You could make an adapter for each intake so you could still use the tsunami pumps. I think that you should change pumps though to a rule 1100 or 2k thier flow rate won't be as affected by the small intake. The tsunami's use the larger openings to get the 1200gph flow rate. by useing the small openings you limit the pumps from the start. In adition to that the port side in take line needs to be shorter with the fewest bends posible.