Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-26-2006, 11:11 PM Reply   
We were boarding in Vics today, and I got very concerned about the condition of the tule beds between the two canals. The tules look pretty dead and matted down. There are a few new green ones starting to grow, but these tules are in way worse shape than the rest of the Delta. We went back to Orwood via Old
River, and the tules along the sides appeared to be much healthier. We've been boarding in Vics for several years, and I don't recall the tules ever looking this bad. Last year, there was some discussion about completely removing the tule berm in Vics. Are they starting to do that? I hope not.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-27-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
They are talking all kinds of crazy shizz right now. Removing that berm, our island (Golden Isle at the end of Vic) and building a dam on Old River right past the pump station - all so they can increase water flow down the canals. (vs another canal further up)

There has also been talk of outlawing boating on parts of the Delta where the levees are failing.

I'm normally not a big fan of the "tree huggers" but they are probably the only thing keeping the Delta the same as we know it now.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-27-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
I'm with you Rich. Building a dam to increase water flow seems insane in the face of weak levees. That will only put more stress on the levees upstream from the dam. Am I right about the condition of the tules in Victoria?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-27-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
If they mess up the delta I'm moving. The only good reason to pay the stupid housing prices in the bay area is to be 40 minutes away from some of the best riding in the country. I'll be really sad if they change anything.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-27-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
The tules always suffer through the winter. Here's a pick from Mar 2003.

pic
Old    wakelvr            03-27-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
They can get pretty bad....

Upload
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-27-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
both those wakes are AWESOME...back onto topic,

what exactly are tules? what benefit do the provide other then wind block and to nock the chop down? do the get harvested for something, do animals eat them?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Isn't Jimmie's hair beautiful. I mean just look at those fabulous locks.

I couldn't resist.

JK - Doc Oc.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
And check out the "dunlap!"
Old     (raddad)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-27-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
might be able to shed some light on this one..... well the tules always go dormant durring the winter.. this year the flooding has been rising and fallin rapidly... almost everyday record high low. .. the tide pulls them down and matts them when they are 1/2 way submerged then the tide falls and exposes them... after a good week of this it starts to pull on them and matts them down.... water is a very destructive forse
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-27-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
They look great in Stefani's pic compared to what we saw on Sunday. Mohondro's explanation sounds like a winner. I hope they come back strong.

Johnny- They are important, because they break the wakes from boats going the opposite way in the parallel channel.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-27-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
Sounds like a good explanation!

They do look dead-er this year then normal to me as well (then again this is the first winter I've looked at them daily!)

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-27-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Yep, they go dormant in the winter and they are more matted down this winter because we have had such high water levels.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-27-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
yep we've been watching the tide and seeing what the water can do.... the tules by our house are smashed to a pulp
Old     (gina_h)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-27-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Peter, here is a pic from Victoria tule bed. Sweet riding on Sunday Josh. Wish we could've seen Alyssa and Jeremy ride too.
Upload
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-28-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
Hey Gina and crew. From the looks of what we saw on Sunday, your girls have a few surprises for the ladies on the tour. Tell them to keep up the good work! Congrats on the new boat! It looks sweet. Hope you guys make it down to the Delta plenty this spring.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-28-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, yeah... The Hoffman girls are gonna lay some smack down. I'm looking forward to seeing them ride at Spring Ride.
Old    wakelvr            03-28-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Jimmy and Trace both have nice hair:-)
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
My biggest concern on Sunday was the amount of hycianth(sp?) at the end of vic's. Upload
There is now effectively a 5 MPH zone at each end!
Old    wakelvr            03-28-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
How is Tracy Oasis looking lately?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-28-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Stefani,

We went out Sunday, it was nice - no copmplaints..... There was no debri's & little to no wind chop on the back slough. There launch is so much better now that it's paved & re-angled.

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-28-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Extensions!!! That's why I can't afford a boat.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-28-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
well the hyacine is cause from the dam that they open up every winter winter... but it has been bad this year...... i heard last year that they stoped spraying chemicals to controll these?
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-28-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
THis year they have stepped up the spraying to kill it off. That is part of the reason for the increase in the amount you see in Vics.
Old    wakelvr            03-30-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Aaron, Congrats on your boat by the way. I just heard about it this week. I used to own an X9 with that red metallic flake and now I wish we had ordered our X2 in that red metallic flake!!! Congrats again and hope to see you on the water soon.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
Morning Stef,

Thnx for the kind words - all smiles here ;) I defiantely luv the color, not something you see everyday. Looking FWD to catching up again & seeing you & your family out there as well - take care.

Lzy