Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Poison)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-22-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
I'm looking into picking up one of the 2011 Slingshot boards. The ones I'm considering now are the Hook and the Recoil, but I can't really make up my mind. There are no demo shops within a reasonable distance from me. I'm currently riding an 08 Lyman 143. I'm 6'1 and about 180lbs. I'm at the point of learning base inverts and hopefully 360s this year. I ride behind a boat exclusively...no cables. I'm looking into the SS boards because I'm coming off of a knee injury (MCL sprain) and I've read the flex style boards can help with generally softer landings and can be more forgiving. I also just want a new board and I always hear great things about slingshot. I've ridden LF exclusively for the past three years.

Seems like the Hook is the way to go for boat riding due to a thread search I did, but how much stiffer are they? Has anyone ridden both? I want the flex, but I don't want to lose too much of the pop. I'm kind of a brat wanting the best of all worlds.

Last question...I have a pair of 2010 LF Watson's that I really like. I know the video on the SS website says the Fast Track system is compatible with most bindings, but I wanna make sure it works with these as I don't have enough $$ for a new set of bindings. I attached a pic below of my bindings. Anyone with the fast track that can comment?
Attached Images

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-22-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Yeah man they're class! I got a Company Severance last year (which os basically the same as a recoil) and was coming off a shane and witness. Really fun and fast board and YES buttersoft landings. Much looser, more playful feel too with the featureless base.

I don't have the Fast Track system but I'd say they should work. Those bindings have the 6inch hole pattern too which would only make more sense for them to work. Might be a slight issue with screw lengths using different brands but a spacer or two will fix that no problem.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-22-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
I ride the Recoil for both rails and boat and love it. Rode my 11 LF Vantages on it for a month before SS sent my RADs and they worked fine with the fast track. You wont be disappointed with either board, but I love my Recoil behind the boat... little slower board but the pop is amazing and flex is honestly not terribly noticeable except for the extra cush landings

Switching to SS is a win man... do it and never look back!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-22-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
definitely will love the soft landings. lots of fun to play around with too. I have rode an older recoil and 2010 response. love it

i have not tried the 2011 ss stuff (other than the New R.A.D. boots that i have), but I hear that the ballistic line (hooke, newton etc) is geared more for riding behind the boat and the recoil, response, reflex are more for rails. BUT this is not to say that they cant cross over, because they were designed for both. maybe you could say that it is a 60-40% kind of thing or maybe not.

anyway, i bet the hooke will be best

Like Brian Deegan said, the only problem i imagine you having is bolt length issues. easy fix though with spacers/washers if necessary.

the slingshot bolts (that slide within the track) will come up through the boot from the bottom of the binding, then through the LF hardware piece with the locking teeth, and then you will place the cap end that is provided by slingshot over the top to lock them down.... this is all said from looking at videos and pics though

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-22-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-22-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
I too made the switch to a Slingshot board this year. Before this spring I had never ridden any of their boards. I picked up a Hooke 138 a few months ago, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The board is light, it has killer pop, extremely durable, amazing graphics (doesn't affect how it rides, but still a plus), and it kills behind the boat and on cable. As for the fast-track system, I think it is great; my bindings have not slid at all, and I don't have to worry much about future bindings not being compatible. I do not own slingshot bindings so I had to play around with the screws a little, but your bindings should work fine with the slingshot mounting bolts although you may want a small washer.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-23-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
I had a 2009 recoil and loved it, i just picked up a hooke this season and so far i love it. i ride behind a boat solely and i feel i can get a little more edge compared to my recoil. I havent been able to notice a difference in flex. I agree with Jason the board is light and durable, but i dont agree with the graphics. Personally i dont care for the graphics, raw wood bottom is awesome, rasta top... mehhh, I dont care much how a board looks, more how it performs anyway.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-23-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
I rode a Severence and Recruit all last year. I really like the softer ride across the water and off the wake, but softer landings--nah. If anything I felt that they landed a little harder.

I am not trying to dissuade you, but I would not pick this board because it will be easier on your knees. Look at the knee beating that the Slingshot team has taken over the past few years (not any better than anyone else).

If you want to reduce MCL strain, consider moving your stance in a hole.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-26-2011, 4:22 AM Reply   
Bindings will work, I have Watsons on the new SS Kine, works great.
BTW am about to put my 09 SS Response on ebay if anyone is interested PM me, Bought new last August, no rails.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-13-2011, 10:59 PM Reply   
The continuous boards such as the Newton or Response will have softer landings and they will translate better to your Lyman. Continuous rocker boards are faster making them land with speed and sink less which creates softer landings. Slingshots also sink less because they don't have concavity or deep channels in the base of the board which is why they land so much softer. Flex boards landing softer may or may not be a misconception, but the base structure of Slingshot boards are made to land soft. I have personally rode all of Slingshots flex boards and have good boat sets with each one, but I choose the response because it lands the softest and rides the fastest and it works best for everything from boat riding to cable and rails. No experience with their new stiffer boards.
Old     (ugafan83)      Join Date: May 2010       06-14-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
I have tried the newton and the hooke and currently ride the hooke. I like the hooke alot better it has more control and pop. The newton was very slick. On that note as well make sure that what ever bindings you use that they sit flush on the board. I had ronix one boots on my newton and in less than a month it ripped the fast track out so be carefull