Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-20-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
I didn't see it but it sounds like it exposed a "core" audience to wakeboarding. Maybe it will influence programmers to show more of it.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-20-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Was anyone else disturbed about the trucker hat pulled to the side?

Nope! But you've got pretty eyes!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-20-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
Josh - Thank you! :-)
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-20-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
If she is a wakeboarder now, why hasn't she posted on here yet?
Old     (fubar)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-20-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
"The dog is Bianca (Moniques dog). She does take it everywhere. Ive even seen her dye it pink!"

Girls carry these little dogs everywhere as a fashion accessory, not a pet. Annoying.

Thank Paris Hilton for another useless cultural contribution.

Old    waterdog2            10-20-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
Im amazed at how many of you dont think the show was scripted.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
I missed the show last night, but it doesn't sound like I missed much. I've been riding for almost 2 yrs. and still haven't nailed my w2w, so it sounds like she picked up on the sport pretty quick. You guys should check out FUEL TV. The PULL episodes have been the most watched shows lately Alliance said. Maybe because they show our sport how it is; no fake drama attached.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-20-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Did anyone actually think she was going to land a tantrum? I think they should've taught her a 180 first...
Old     (fubar)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-20-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
I thought she might have landed a tantrum - there was that one chick on another Made episode that landed a bmx back flip. Of course, practicing into a foam pit on the bike is much closer to the real trick than practicing on a trampoline with the handle, as you don't have all the other factors, like the kick off the wake, moving at 22mph, etc.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
I want to see some pics of monique.. she was hott
Old     (gatorboardstx)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-20-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Ronia Nash (ladythump) Stop 3 - (SETEX Wakeboarding) I 10 East Beaumont Texas 7/10/2005

Division Name: WB Women Novice
Stop First Name Last Name Place Tour Points
3 Stephanie Britt 1 1025
3 Joan Uyvari 2 925
3 Nik Gregory 3 835

I think you looked at the day before

Mike B (fubar) It's funny how people find BS to point out and bitch about that they don't know anything about. Moni had Bianca way before the stupid "simple life" show and treats her as her child not an accessory.

get over it... the show was on Mtv, it was about a kid that didn't fit in, she found a common bond with the people she goes to school with, she picked it up very fast (they only rode three days a week), and most important she feels better about herself.

Over all it was a good thing for the industry. It was by far the longest wakeboarding segment I've seen on any mainstream channel.

jeff 2 (waterdog2) stop being so paranoid and looking over your shoulder for black helicopters (just kidding) there were some small "creative influences" by the producer but it's not totally scripted. Sometimes they would tell BG to "say that again, but say it like this" & as far as Joan goes... that was all Joan.

although I did wonder if the kids at LT spray painted the goat or Mtv did to create drama... lol

as far as her sticking with it... so far we've seen her go ride at the Texas Ski Ranch with some buddies and she went to a couple of comps by herself as well. I think she'll keep riding. You all know, Once you start you can't stop!!!

(Message edited by gatorboardstx on October 20, 2005)
Old     (gatorboardstx)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-20-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-20-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
Thanks Stone.

People need to realize that the show was geared for Mtv's high school demographics. Made is a show about high schoolers who don't fit in and MTV helps them accomplish something which makes them feel better about themselves. The show isn't about wakeboarding, or whatever other sports the kids want to be made into.

I was thoroughly impressed with Joan being able to go w2w with grabs in just 4 weeks! It took me (and many other riders) two years to do that.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-20-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
I have say I'm with Stone. Cut the girl and the show some slack.
Old     (gatorboardstx)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-20-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Paul Bernier (wakeriderixi)

Old    lepage92            10-22-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
did any of yall see evan lykes on the boat when she went out with riley?
Old    msinger            10-23-2005, 1:28 AM Reply   
I dont want to take anything away from Joan, because she did awesome for only riding 5 weeks, But did anyone else think it was wierd thats she said she felt better because she had a "wakeboard haircut"
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-23-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Iwas at the int stop I hang wikth billy g and mtvs hand is involvedmore than most peaaaple will know she did well but i dont see her sticking with it. and you think that posers say stoked alot that girl used it every other wordit was a bit much
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-23-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
I'm just relieved to see the cocked trucker hat and the mandatory "can't ever take a picture without flashing some sort of pseudo gang-sign hand signal." Man, that's real wakeboarding for me!! Never gets old!!

(BTW, I live in Oakland. The gangs here actually don't flash a lot of hand signals. They are more busy robbing and shooting people. For every real gang member I've seen flashing a hand sign, I've probably seen 1000 or more teenage suburban middle-upper class kids doing it. I'm just not really understanding this any more.)

Sorry to get off topic. On with the fashion and conformity, er... I mean wakeboarding.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
She did good for only riding for 5 weeks, but the hair thing was weird. lol. You don't need "wakeboarding hair" to be a wakeboarder.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-23-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
She did good for only riding for 5 weeks, but the hair thing was weird. lol. You don't need "wakeboarding hair" to be a wakeboarder.

i know, how lame was that. they gave her skunk hair too,
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
yea shes hott... all small pics though... looks like she rides really well too
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-23-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
i would love to know what drug billy g is on and where i can score some of it. man, that guy some energy.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
alright. she might have gotten second. But i happen to be good friends with Nick Gregory and he's definitley a guy. The kid goes to McNeese State and can rip a wake aprt like nobodies business. i dont know how or why he's on the womens novice list. he usually rides advanced or outlaw. but its funny to see his name on there.
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-24-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
i have talked to joan and i know that she is definatley hooked on wakeboarding and tries to get out as much as she can. she is definately not quite the same on tv as she is in real life
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-24-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
i watched the made thing, it was so baller
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-26-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
the girl is into sheep, not wakeboarding
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-26-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
I don't see how some of you could criticize her. she got up her first try. (on the show monique said she's never seen anyone do that before) I've been out with some friends who are very athletic and they couldn't even get up their first day let alone first try.

if I were her I would of made Riley some pot brownies, she would have definitly fit in...
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-26-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
I think Monique was giving her a vote of confidence saying she's never seen anyone get up on the first try before. I have never not gotten up including the first try and I'm an old ass peep. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. My first year was probably just stubborness and pure strength without any technique, but it didn't seem that hard. Never even shot out to the outside of the wake which I've heard is common with beginners.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-27-2005, 5:06 AM Reply   
If Joan is so into the wakeboarding scene, why isn't she posting here yet???
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-27-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
ww is too funnyTHAT'S WHY!!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-28-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
my wife got up her first try, no biggie
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-28-2005, 7:56 AM Reply   
Getting up on the first try is not the norm. I've seen young strong athletic guys struggle to to get to the point of frustration. And at the same time I've seen not nearly so athletic females pop right up after 1 or 2 tries.

In my experience girls seem to have the edge on the initial try, but the guys make up for lost ground pretty quickly thereafter.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
I hope my gf can do it (i just bought her the double up serina) she's tried it at the cables and couldn't do it, she's only tried once there. hopefully she'll be able to get it behind the boat.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-29-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
I got my first time. I didn't stay up too long, but I got up.
Old    longlakemafia            10-29-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
I dont think getting up has as much to do with athletic ability as is does with the driver...and the one teaching...the teaching is a huge thing...i was blessed enough to start behind an xstar and have a dude that shredded teach me everything...going wake to wake and grabbing within 5 weeks isnt hard to do when you have a teacher as pumped about teaching you as he is about ridding...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-29-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
maybe she got up on her first try because of the majic of television
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-29-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
Shane (wakebrdrnc)
If Joan is so into the wakeboarding scene, why isn't she posting here yet???

who ever said you had to post on this website to be "into" the wakeboarding scene? i know a ton of people who love wakeboarding who dont post on here. its just something she doesnt do
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       10-31-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Guys have a harder time getting up on the first try because you all try to use all your muscles instead of just relaxing and letting the boat pull you up.
Old    sking55405            11-02-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
it was ok
Old    flojo            11-20-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
What up! Hey this is Joan, the wakeboarding chick on MTV. Yeah, I found this bulletin by accident and it was a lil weird reading all of yall's comments... A little offended, and it was noticeable that yall can really spread a good amount of crap over the web. But it's all good. I noticed quite a few questions concerning the show, and if any1 wants the real answers you can hit me up at http://www.myspace.com/MTVwakechick

Thanks to the ppl who were awesome and stuck up for me!
Joan (FloJo)
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-20-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
Way to go JOAN! I enjoyed the episode and you where great. Good luck in the future.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-21-2005, 6:01 AM Reply   
So MTV "made" you emo too?
Old    flojo            11-21-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
HAHA!!! No, the emo thing is something I made up (actually I made it up on the day of the premier lol!!) But I invented "Emo Wednesdays"!!! Every Wednesday I dress emo!! Totally not me, but I def can pull it off!
Joan (FloJo)

HAHA!!!! Emo Wednesdays!!!

Emo Wednesdays

Normal: Mondays, Tuesdays...Thursdays and Fridays...

Normal Joan
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-21-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
she is awsome! nice pics joan. i loved watching her go wake to wake healside and getting MAD AIR to boot!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-21-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Even your tantrum attempt was better then mine!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-21-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
So Joan... back to a hyperlite now are ya?! What happend with Gator Boards?! Way to be the first to star in a wakeboard related program that actually played during peak hours of TV!
Old    low_key_wake            11-21-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
you're hot.
Old    proklater            11-21-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
Joan,
Will you go out with me?
Old    flojo            11-22-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
HAHA!!!! no can do on the dating thing lol!!! Lo siento (I'm sorry-spanish)! I have my original Hyperlite, my director didn't let me keep the Gator, the Gator Board was awesome tho!!! Gracias!
Joan (FloJo)
http://www.myspace.com/mtvwakechick

Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-22-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
well.... what kind of crap is that!? They give you a board to ride which promoted Gator Boards and then they took it back. I'd be pissed!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-22-2005, 10:11 PM Reply   
Joan,

I'd like to see the episode. Any idea when/if it will be on again?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-23-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
joan do you still wakeboard? is your sister pissed that you got made and she didn't? you should come try out the cable lake at TSR (I think thats where the girl took you to get some gear)
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-23-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
They didn't let you keep the board??? That's crap!
Old    flojo            11-23-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
lol!!! Dude... I totally went to TSR!! It was freakin awesome!! Riley and I went on a "date" there you could say lol!!! Yup, got all the clothes at TSR!!! LOOOVVEEE THEM!!

Ya, the board thing sorta sucked!!! Gator sent that board for me on the show, but my director did it her own way. I wasn't too pissed that I don't have it now just because I didn't know that I was supposed to keep it. Now that I know that....ugh, sorta sux lol!! But its in good hands now lol!! Billy G. has the board at his riding school here in Austin. Its good to know that some other girl is going to learn how to wakeboard with that board.

One day when my director wasn't filming on the boat, Monique, Billy G., and I went riding. I got my first heel side w2w indy on the Gator Board!! It was soo sick!!! ...and none of it was on camera lol!!!!

Have a happy turkey day!!
Joan (FloJo)
}http://www.myspace.com/mtvwakechick
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-23-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
Good job Joan. I was glad to see you didn't give up after that first face plant. I hope you stick with it. You learned quick.
Old     (midwest_militia)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-23-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
I was pissed when lambchop got painted on! That was wrong.
Old     (birger_celis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-23-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Jarrod
nice profile pic!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-23-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
yours is sicker
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-23-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
Joan Have a happy turkey day right back at ya.
Old    natxbrotha            11-24-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
isnt monique that professional beginner? wins like every beginner class for like 4 years or something?
Old    flojo            11-24-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Yeah the lambchop thing was a little retarted!!! And the next day there was a broken glass bulb and antifreeze.... I got there when he was chewing on the antifreeze!! But!! He's in a really good place now!...no not dead!! lol!! He's at a ranch/farm right down the road from me!!

Monique is a freakin pimp!!! She competed at the competition I was at on the show, INT, and did spankin good!! She's so awesome and I grew pretty close to my coachies throughout the whole process!!

OMG!! I ate so much!!! lol!!! I'm def going to work out and then go riding REALLLL soon lol!!!....necessary!! lol, yall have a pimping hour left of your Thanksgiving!!

OOO... also....

I'm thankful for so many things!! 1. to have been given the oppurtunity to have been on MADE 2.My family 3.My faith 4.The way I was raised 5.School 6.A LAKE NEXT TO WHERE I LIVE lol!!! 7.and to have gotten to know so many ppl through wakeboarding!!

What are yall thankful for? lol!! (I feel like I'm in pre-school!!!!)
Joan (FloJo)
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-24-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
joan, you are so cool! do you have a boat yet? if you are ever in northern ohio you can definately get a pull from us, the guys would love it!
Old    flojo            11-26-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
I don't have a boat!! I wish!! I got really spoiled with Billy G.'s Malibu Wakesetter, that's fo sho!!
Joan (FloJo)
Old    jon_paul            11-28-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
Joan, my daughter Morgan and I loved your episode of Made. Morgan was pretty jealous of how fast you learn but over all she was very inspired. Great job!

Jon
Old    flojo            11-28-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
HAHA!! Dude.... she def shouldn't be jealous!!! It really isn't every day that you have a coach and MTV following you!! Trust me...if she had enough pressure she'd learn twice as fast!! lol!! But that's so cool tho!! Tell her I said hi!! And, if she wakeboards tell her... Rock on!

Joan (FloJo)