Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    6more            07-01-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
I'm trying to upload my first video on wakepics and just wanted to know how long it should take. My file is about 25mb and I'm uploading it from work which has a T1 connection, so speed shouldn't be a problem. I type in the file location and hit "upload" and it just sits there with an hour glass. The drive does work occasionally, so I think it is working, but it's been over 20 minutes already.

I hasn't even gotten to the screen where you can add more details about the video (Author, Location, etc).

Are these times typical? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old    6more            07-01-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
BTW - it finally stopped and came back with an error message that there was no file. I'm trying it again, but would appreciate any help.

The file is a windows media file and it plays fine off the hardrive so I know the file isn't corrupt or anything like that.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
I've never been able to upload anything bigger than 15mb. As soon as i shrink it down below 15mb it goes right on. Although i've seen them on their bigger. That's why people have part1 and part2 of a video.
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
The limit is 19MB.

-Jeff
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2003, 7:43 AM Reply   
MAN! It would of been nice for someone to tell me that when i was asking how to upload a big video.
Old    6more            07-01-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
OK - so what's the recommended way to keep the file size small? Do a need to render it in another format, etc.

What techniques do you all use. My movie isn't very long, so obviously I'm missing something to end up with such a big file size. Thanks.
Old    sickboy            07-01-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
I think you can download a free Windows Media Encoder, should drop the file size down to under 10MB
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
Here's some of my time and lengths after i've renedered them to a file.
10:19 26mb.
6:06 14.6mb
2:58 7.37mb
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
I mean "rendered" not "renedered". Maybe i mean retarded. :-)
Old    6more            07-01-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
I'm using Studio 8 by the way. It has lots of rendering options and I chose the Windows Media Format, so I would assume that is what I did (use the media encoder).

Any ideas on compression?
Old    6more            07-01-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
Jeremy - what format is your final product? Windows Media, Real Time, Quick Time, etc?
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-01-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
jeremy, email me about the 10:19 video maybe i could feature it on the front page.

-chris
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-01-2003, 8:50 AM Reply   
well, actually there are two functions here, if you need to know.

a.) there is a 20,000,000 byte limit on uploads
b.) there is a 600 second time in which you have before the script 'times out' and kills your upload.

if any of these two exceptions are met, the video /image / whatever will not be processed...

hope this helps, maybe i should write a FAQ, heh.
Old    6more            07-01-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Yes Chris, a FAQ section would be VERY helpful! I was surprised that there wasn't one. I looked everywhere for one.

What format are your videos?
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-01-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
i use .wmv, i find i get the most bang for the buck with it...

usually compress the stream to around 300kbps
Old    catalyst            07-01-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
hi if u create ur movies on windows movie maker 2 not 1 when u save the video to your comp it says the suggested mb number to save as, yet you can lower the number almost as much as u want. The problem is the quality shifts down a notch but is still not bad. If u want windows movie maker 2 you download it off the xp site. Its a pretty basic juvinile program but it does the job and u can still ad music and do a bunch of effects. Its verry easy to use.