Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-18-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yo dudes-

Im conducting a test to change my snowboards Positive (regular) camber to negatvie (reverse/rocker) camber.

Heard the idea somewhere and am trying it now. Ive got my board tips elevated with a flat 2x4 on each tip and have about 150lb of lead weight placed on my binding inserts. The center of the board is just touching the floor with the tips elevated giving so called (rocker) form to the board.

Im not sure how much time it will take for the boards core to retain the rocker form memory. I may just keep it the way it is until snowfall just so it stays in shape for riding.

Just something interesting to try... Ill update the thread with some pics soon!

Cheers.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-20-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
I hope that doesn't mess up the integrity of your board...
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-22-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
and rocker is shaped...
Attached Images

Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-29-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
I seriously can't wait to see what comes out of this..
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-29-2012, 6:40 PM Reply   
I think you have to pass the point of elasticity, but at that point it would start to break, interesting though!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
I think you have to pass the point of elasticity, but at that point it would start to break, interesting though!
Donno if it'll work and this is why....some, if not all, of those layers are laminated together with glue and/or epoxy, neither of which have any type of large plastic region (were permanent deformation happens) relative to metal...basically i think it will be non existent. They also will not have any creep, which is what you are hoping to happen within the length of time you are leaving it weighted.

The layers will likely just delaminate and the board will be super floppy, maintain a small amount of its camber, and sound chattery when you ride it over some crud.

But, I may be wrong! Let us know what happens. I would bet that a little bit of heat might help the process
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-30-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
???
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-30-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
this thread should be titled "how to ruin your snowboard's core."
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
???
to be honest, I have no idea why I replied to you with that quote yesterday. it totally wasnt supposed to be up there!
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-02-2012, 11:29 PM Reply   
After days the board has flattened out. After a week or so without weight the camber is still flat. After a few more weeks under weight the board has gained some rocker. When laid flat, the rocker of the board has maybe a centimeter of rise in the tip and tail. The board has most the rockered shape in the center and actually retained some camber towards the contact points. Looking down the profile of the edge, the board rocker line looks like a hybrid rocker/camber board.

Obviously the board wont retain the same integrity as before and i know this. Again, i stated this is an experiment and something fun for me to try.

Whether it works and retains a rockered shape or goes back to a flatter or cambered profile, I am interested in the outcome and figured i would share my experience here.

If your not stoked on the concept, i dont care!

I will get some photos when i get a chance.

Cheers.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-03-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
Here a few photos of a board ive been placing weight on.. this board was traditional camber to start.
Attached Images

Old     (chad23)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-03-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
Let us know how it works on the snow, i guess that's the cheapest way to get a rockered board haha
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
curious how the flex feels, I would imagine there is no pop at all and would feel spongy, but idk! do you know if the layers delaminated or not? Go out and smack the base on some grass, chattery?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-18-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Let me know how scary that thing is going to be when charging a huge hit.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-21-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
This is a spare board and I figured I would try this for fun and see what happens.

Flex is fine. Slightly softer feeling and less catchy bc I am taking away the pressure in the contact points and relieving the camber profile.

No delams and no other problems with the board. The NItro T1 is not a noodle and its not the stiffest board in their line. I am pretty happy that I flattened it out.

I got the cambered version sent to me but I prefer flat rocker boards... so i flattened it.

No damage done!

It charges...
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-22-2012, 2:32 AM Reply   
Wow. Props for even thinking/attempting to do this. I have a NeverSummer SL 164 that I wouldn't dream of putting through something traumatic like this! Lol! But it is already rocker, so the point is moot.

Last edited by dvsone79; 12-22-2012 at 2:40 AM. Reason: Wrong model
Old     (thefuture)      Join Date: May 2013       05-09-2013, 7:24 PM Reply   
I'm shocked that actually worked. I've never heard of anyone doing this before...did the board have any pop left after this?
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-10-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
Update:

Board kept its rockered shape all season long.

I dont ride this board all the time but it rode just like any other tradition rocker board would. Loose, soft, and soft in the pop.

So yes.. changing the bend from camber to rocker does make the board sloppy... but thats how rocker board are versus camber.
Old     (timothyhadl)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-11-2013, 3:29 AM Reply   
I am looking for such awesome deal now. Any idea? Please tell me if there is any way of getting tickets at low cost.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       12-02-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Go early ride hard til 12 and sell your tix to a gaper buying a half day.