Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-29-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Haven't seen any college football threads started yet? Anyone else getting excited. My Wildcats get it started in Manhattan next Saturday again UCLA. I think it's a very likely win for us and could be a big factor in how the rest of the season turns out for K-State. I know there are some UCLA guys on here.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Unfortunately I am a hard core Washington State fan and we no longer have a football program.....at least not as far as having the opportunity to win more than 1 game a year. I do have Stanford Season tickets and they are well positioned to take the Pac-10 this year, so that will be fun to watch. I think Alabama is going to be tough to stop this year.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Phat--LOL! Maybe we can get Mike Price back!!

Got to love Cougar Football, at least I got to go to the Rose Bowl to watch em! who knows when that will happen again.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
WOOOOOOOOO PIG SUIIEEEE.

Finally, the year of the Hogs. We got LSU, Bama, and Ole Miss at home. If we beat Bama, I can say without a doubt that we will be in a BCS game. Believe me I will be screaming my heart out for 3 hours.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-30-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
As long as we beat Stanfurd I'll be happy.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Big game Thursday for the Utes..... I am uncomfortable & have my fingers crossed....

Go Utah!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
DRA - I never thought that the Mike Price era was our peak......lol. It all started with Ryan Leaf and San Diego, the school has never been the same. I have been to every bowl game we have played over the last 25 years.....don't think I will have the opportunity to miss one again. Did you go to WSU?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-31-2010, 1:36 AM Reply   
Should be a fun year for the Pac 10.

Wanna know what's also gonna be nice? NO MORE TEBOW!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-31-2010, 4:14 AM Reply   
^^ You think that's going to stop Gators fans from chiming in?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-31-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Nah, I have no issue with them chiming in, it's just that the Tebow dick sucking got rather old.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-31-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Phat--Yes I went to WSU, last year there was 1988, lived in the DTD house.

I even went to Jim Walden Cougar football camps!

Went to both Rose Bowl games, a few Cal games here and there but that's it.

Hopefully they will make a comeback.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-31-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Very cool, graduated 1994. SigEp after my freshman year. I went to the basketball camps not the football camps. Cougar Cage Camp I think is what it was called. 3rd generation Coug. Not a lot of us in Nor Cal, glad to see another Coug around.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-31-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
Apparently BYU announced on their website that they are going indy with a WCC tie in for all other sports.... (info from neighbor) I am surprised... Can't decide if they feel like they will not get a Big XII invite within 2 years....or they are too stubborn to feel like Utah's little sister....

Utah State loses....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-02-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
...and here we go!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-03-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Fun time last night.... The Utes tried to give that one away, but made a play when they had to....

Glad I took today off.....

It is going to be a fun weekend........
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-03-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783138
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-03-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783161
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-04-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Okay....your non-AQ picks for the weekend....

Washington vs BYU - Washington

Oregon St. vs TCU - TCU

Boise St. vs Virginia Tech - BSU

I know you all had Utah over Pitt, so it was not a problem to wait for today to get this up.....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-06-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Ian Brown, where are you. I want you to explain how the Jayhawks lost to NDSU?? This might be a fun year to be a Wildcat
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-07-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Roll Tide! Can't wait for the Penn St game next weekend!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-09-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
>> Breaking News out of Lawrence Kansas today…
>>
>> The KU football team practice was delayed for two hours after a player
>> reported finding a white substance on the field. Practice was suspended
>> while federal agents were called in. After a complete analysis, experts
>> determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the
>> goal line. Practice resumed after agents decided the Jayhawks were
>> unlikely to encounter the substance again.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-11-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
GO BEARS!

WELCOME TO THE PAC10 COLORADO!

(err, pac11? pac12?)
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Wes, us Big 12 guys are just waiting for the Pac 10s call on how much money they are giving us to take the Buffies back! At least they give you another bye weak on the schedule!

Thanks UCLA, looked real good against the Cardinal yesterday, really helping out SOS
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
psudy, just saw the comment, though that might not be the only white substance you'd find on the field in Larryville.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       09-13-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Very cool, graduated 1994. SigEp after my freshman year. I went to the basketball camps not the football camps. Cougar Cage Camp I think is what it was called. 3rd generation Coug. Not a lot of us in Nor Cal, glad to see another Coug around.

Another Coug fan here - I graduated in 1988 and was also a Sig Ep. At least we squeaked by MSU this weekend. This is going to be another long season One of my daughters is currently at WSU, so I make the 10 hour trek to Pullman a couple times a year. Doesn't matter how bad the Cougs suck, there is nothing like tailgating in Pullman. I will be proudly wearing my crimson and grey (and Beaver Dad hat) when the Cougs play at Oregon State for Dad's weekend this year.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
Nick, i had to wait for the Jayhawks to redeem themselves, which they did this weekend. Yes, that 3-6 loss was pretty bad.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-13-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
At least you're back on track. Not sure whether you made a large improvement or Georgia Tech just wasn't that good. I'm hoping for the latter
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-14-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Well if Bama falters at all this year there may be a chance for another conference to win the NC.... This seems to be the first year the SEC is in flux, especially in light of the crappy preseason rankings.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-25-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
GO fUCLA! Sorry Texass!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-25-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
I don't care what anybody says the PAC10 is the best conference top to bottom in the Nation. Besides Wazzu nobody is a for sure win.

I have no idea what happened with UCLA but they went from looking like they could be almost as bad as Wazzu to beating 2 top 25 teams, one of which was a top 10 Texas in Austin.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-09-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
WHOA South Carolina!!!

Oh, and GO BEARS BEAT fUCLA!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-09-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
i don't keep up with college football but south carolina just kicked some BAMA a$$. 35-21 and thats not luck. it looked like the better team won today.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-10-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
and the best team in the country is the Ohio State University
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-10-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
^You're smoking crack. What happens every time OSU tangos with the SEC?
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-10-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
sec is soooo overated .. do they own espn.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-10-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
"sec is soooo overated"

Past 20 years

2009-National Champion
2008-National Champion
2007-National Champion
2006-National Champion
2003-National Champion
1998-National Champion
1996-National Champion
1992-National Champion
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-10-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
One team from the SEC will win the championship, and the other eleven, when averaged out, will finish the season ranked lower in the final polls than in the preseason polls. Here's last year's AP polls as an example-

team............preseason rank...final rank...movement
Florida....................1.....................3 ...............-2
Alabama.................5.....................1... ............+4 (yay!)
Ole Miss.................8....................20...... .......-16
LSU........................11..................17. .............-6
Georgia.................13....................33.. ...........-20

Someone did this same thing for each of the conferences and went back quite a few years and they found that the SEC is year after year, literally, overrated.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-11-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
What does a preseason poll prove? When Tennessee won the National Championship in 1998, I don't think that they were ranked in the preseason top 20. A preseason poll is pure speculation by coaches and writers, kind of like proclaiming the Cowboys as Superbowl favorites this year. Taking a look at what you have posted, Florida's only loss last year was to.........Alabama. Preseason polls don't mean sheet.

As a matter of fact, in the past 35 years, only 6 times has the preseason # 1 finished # 1 at the conclusion of the season.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-11-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Disappointed to see the Utes beat Iowa State by 41 on the road and drop in the AP.....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-11-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Jeremy- you're right, preseason polls DON'T mean sheet. They're pure speculation from the coaches and writers. But what does it mean when Ole Miss and Georgia finish the season ranked SUBSTANTIALLY lower than what people initially thought? It means they were overrated. Make sense?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-11-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
^^ you have a good point, and factor in that it is the most $$ making opp for the media, sponsors, etc = no brainer to always rank certain schools high in Pre season rankings. Kind of like Notre Dame
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-11-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Yeah Scott, maybe, but you act as though SEC teams are the only ones that slid in rankings. (And your math is awful 20-8=16?). Florida had to be number one as they were the defending N.C. and returned most of the team. I'm not a SEC homer either, but the proof is in the pudding. 4-time defending N.C.'s from the same conference.

Look at the Big 12
Oklahoma...Preseason #3 Final ranking #29
Oklahoma St...Preseason #11 Final #25
Texas retained their preseason ranking and Nebraska had an 8-place increase. TTU jumped into the final ranking.

Pac-10
USC lost 16 places between preseason and final
Cal preseason #12 and finished god knows where.
Oregon gained a wopping 3 places.
I'm guessing that if you can find where Cal finished, there total places lost is more than the SEC, so Pac10 was more overrated last year than the SEC.

Big 10 plays a cupcake schedule year after year. Evidence...OSU will be number 5 in the first BCS rankings this year, thanks to their difficult out of conference opponents.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Utah moves to #6

#4 TCU coming to town on Saturday

Bringing ESPN's College GameDay with them....
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-31-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
War eagle!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-08-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
I think it is time to start this conversation up again as we are getting closer to the end of the season and the bowl projections. It is going ot be interesting to see if both Auburn and Oregon can win out. They both have tough roads left but both are playing so good I don't see either losing. If the rest of the season plays out like I think it will Stanford, LSU, TCU and Boise State will all win out as well. The big 10 is wide open although I think they are a bunch of very mediocre teams and will only get 1 team in a BCS bowl. Wisconsin and Michigan State have easy roads to win out while Iowa and tOSU only have one more tough game when they play each other. 3 of those 4 teams are probably going to win out and if that happens I am not sure who wins that tie breaker as Wisconsin beat tOSU and Iowa, Iowa beat MSU, tOSU hasn't beat anybody good, Michagan State beat Wisconsin. I am guessing that MSU wins out, Wisconsin wins out and not sure why but tOSU wins out. I think that would mean that MSU would go to the Rose bowl because they beat Wisconsin and Wisconsin beat tOSU. The Big East and ACC are absolute garbage and shouldn't even get into the BCS games but because they have to it looks like Virginia Tech and Pitt will make into BCS games. It looks like there is absolutely no way the Big 12 gets 2 teams in BCS games. Right now it would be Nebraska and Okie State in the Big 12 championship game. Nebraska has a fairly easy road but Okie State has a brutal one as they play an inconsistant Texas team in Austin and Oklahoma at home. Oklahoma can spoil Okie State's chance at a BCS bowl with a win in that game. That would put Nebraska and Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. My guess is that Nebraska ends up beating Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game and makes a BCS bowl.

So the automatic qualifiers in the scenario would be Oregon, Auburn, MSU, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Pitt and TCU. In this scenario the pool of possible at large teams looks like it is down to LSU, Stanford, tOSU, Wisconsin and Boise State. This is how I think the bowls look then.

BCS Championship-Oregon vs Auburn
Rose Bowl-TCU vs MSU-TCU gets this spot automatically because they will take the place of the PAC10 team that would normally be here.
Sugar Bowl-LSU vs Boise State-They could snub Boise State here and pick a team like Wisconsin or tOSU with tOSU being more likely.
Orange Bowl-Virgina Tech vs Stanford-It would be better if Stanford could get selected to the Fiesta Bowl but the Orange bowl has a higher gets to pick before the Fiest Bowl. Chances are they don't pick a team that doesn't belong in a BCS bowl in Pitt.
Fiesta Bowl-Nebraska vs Pitt-Fiesta Bowl has last selection and they would have to do Pitt if the Orange bowl doesn't pick them.

If this happens my projections are:
Championship game: Oregon beats Auburn with just too much speed at every position and too much offense. Auburn will score but Oregon will score more.
Rose Bowl:TCU crushes Michigan State. To be honest, I don't think anybody from the Big 10 is that good and TCU is a really good team across the board.
Sugar Bowl: Les Miles luck runs out and Boise State pulls out all the tricks again and wins in a close one. Maybe even overtime?
Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech is much imroved from the start of the season but Stanford is just to Solid and powerfull along the lines.
Fiesta Bowl: Nebraska Donkey's Pitt. No need for an explanation.

In conclusion, the PAC10 proves they are the best conference in the nation and the West Coast craps all over the East Coast/SEC bias.

PS: The Big 10, Big 12 and SEC need to quit being rewarded for playing 4 out of conference games, three of which are almost always against cupcakes and FCS teams. The PAC10 only plays 3 OOC games a year. 1 or 2 of those games are almost always against very solid BCS teams plus they have to play an extra in conference game against a BCS team.

PPS: Get bent ESPN
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
i found it funny that one of the analysts on espn's bcs show had tcu ahead of oregon and auburn. they beat an overrated utah team and all of a sudden, they're the #1 team in the country? give me a break.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-08-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
i found it funny that one of the analysts on espn's bcs show had tcu ahead of oregon and auburn. they beat an overrated utah team and all of a sudden, they're the #1 team in the country? give me a break.
Yeah, that guy is an idiot. Another one of their writers ranked the conferences and it is like he striclty looked at the teams in the top 25. He had them ranked the SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and then the PAC 10. He fails to realize that all these teams play garbage OOC schedules to try and and fool the 2 voting pollsters into ranking them higher than they should be.

Michigan State's only decent OOC win was against a not very good Notre Dame Team at home in OT. Iowa lost to Arizona and beat a kind of surprising team in Iowa State OOC. Wisconsin's only remotely decent win was against a lower level PAC 10 team in Arizona State at home. tOSU's only good OOC win was against a slightly above average Miami team at home. It is just amazing this conferencce gets so much love.

I am not sure the good SEC or Big 12 teams have much better OOC schedules/wins.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       11-26-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Big weekend for NCAA Foootball.... What do yall think about a TCU vs. BSU NC game? lol!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-26-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech is much imroved from the start of the season but Stanfurd is just to Solid and powerfull along the lines.
As good as Luck and his OL are, I'm not sure how excited BCS bowls are going to be to pick a team that can't even sell out its own 50K seat stadium. Remember that this all revolves around $$$$$$$, so BCS bowls always look for a team that they KNOW will travel well and buy up ALL of its allotment of tickets. Stanfurd doesn't even show up to their own HOME games. The official attendance for their game vs #15 Arizona was 43K, and you know they padded that number a bit.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-26-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
later boise...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-26-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
See ya later, Smurf Turfers.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       11-27-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Well Scotty... looks like another SEC NC win on the horizon. lol
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Well, what a crazy weekend. It looks like we are on our way to seeing Oregon and Auburn play in the championship game. Both still have big games and even though I just don't see Oregon losing to oregon state, crazy things happen this time of year. Auburn beating the game cocks isn't a certainty by any stretch of the imagination either. Auburn still might make it in though even if they do lose assuming it is a close game.

So I think we are looking at Oregon vs Auburn, Arkansas vs Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl, Wisconsin vs TCU in the Rose Bowl, Virginia Tech vs UCONN(what a joke) in the Orange Bowl and Nebraska or Oklahoma vs Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl.

What is even crazier is that if Washington wins this weekend in the Apple Cup and Arizona loses vs Arizona State UW would finish 3rd in the PAC10 and go to the Alamo Bowl. They would then play a team like Oklahoma State or Missouri or something and get friggen killed. If Arizona and UW win then UW would finish 4th and play in the Holiday bowl vs Texas A&M. Probably still get killed. That would be a fun game though as UW and TExas A&M have kind of developed a little relationship after A&M came up to Seattle in bball and that guy for A&M broke his leg. The UW players, coaches and fans really took care of the kid and I think A&M really respects UW for that.

The best part of this is that Boise State is going to have to play in the Humanitarian Bowl at their home stadium. They lost out on so much money and respect. Boise State is screwed in the long run. If Boise State does join the MWC they still aren't going to play any decent teams as it looks like TCU is joining the Big East and Utah is joining the PAC10. They are going to have to play 2 or 3 top level BCS teams and win to even have a chance of getting to a national championship. Boise State will probably never end up in a BCS conference beause of the lack of a TV market, the academic reputation of the school and lack of other notable sports teams. They need a playoff more than anybody.

Last edited by polarbill; 11-29-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-30-2010, 3:07 AM Reply   
Oregon and Auburn (if it happens, but I never count out Spurrier) would be a great matchup. I give the offensive edge to Oregon, but the defensive edge goes to Auburn. I think it would be the most evenly matched NC game, since Texas and USC back in 2005.