Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
A friend prompted this topic:

If, for whatever reason, I believe that I do not like this or that rider. Should this extend to influence my board choice in any way?

Obviously, I'm referring to a decision where I do NOT by a pro's wakeboard because I dislike them.

I know...this sounds ridiculous. But, humor me.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-14-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
what?
I saw Barry Bonds drinking Coke. That A-hole.
I'm now a PEPSI man
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-14-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'm not a big fan of Shane Bonifay, but I ride his board because I like the way it rides. Although, before the 2007 model came out I was on the fence with his 2006 model. I loved how the board rode, but having his face picture framed on top of the board almost caused me not to give the board a try. However, because I loved the way the board rode, I bought it anyway. Then when the 2007 model came out I jumped all over that one so I wouldn't have to have Shane's face staring at me from my board.

(Message edited by nauty on December 14, 2007)
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-14-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
If you dislike his/her riding style or in general how they ride you're likely to think that the board they ride is designed for their style, and chances are it is. That's not to say you cannot make such a board work for you. However you're more likely to chose a pro with a riding style that you see yourself relating to or imitating.

Now if you do this based on personality or other decisions, although not technical based you are entitled to your opinion.

Do ethics come into play? I don't believe in this case that they do. It's more a case of marketing and beliefs. It's not a case of a defined wrong but rather one of choice.

The question could be posed that "Is it ethical if there was only one wakeboard that the industry released to the general public?" For in this example there are other choices that you are not allowed access to.

(Message edited by EternalShadow on December 14, 2007)
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
I think, If you don't like the guy, don't buy his stuff. Unless it's a must have and you don't mind feeling like an A$$ cuz you're puttin bucks in his pocket.

As for me, for Christmas I'd like to smack Tony Stewart in the mouth, therefore you'll never catch me in Home Depot.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-15-2007, 12:24 AM Reply   
That sounds reasonable to me John. You have your beliefs/opinions/understandings - why shouldn't that affect your board decision?

If you didn't like a store owner, would you continue to purchase things from him and his store? I wouldn't. Why support someone who you do not? Obviously a more direct situation than the one you pose, but essentially the same idea.

If you care enough the bring it up, I'd say the weight is great enough to make it matter!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
why would you dislike a rider? do you mean their style or attitude? i think its hilarious when people say they dont like a rider because they were rude when they met them once or something. seems lame to me. just like how people judge celebrities because what they see in magazines or on tv. you dont know them.
"omg, parks is a totally dck becuase he didnt remember me when he signed a magazine for me 3 years ago. God..."

haha

i personally dislike watkins because he has an australian accent. hahaha

jk
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
....life is simple....buy what you want....everything else in the grand scheme of things is irrelevant
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-15-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
I will not buy a signature product if it is someone I don't like on any level. For example and this already came up on here i like the way the shane rides but I don't care for him so I wont buy it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Scott and everyone else, what makes you not like a rider? if it was the best board you have ever ridden would you still refuse to buy it because you have a lame grudge
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-15-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
well, if they're ungrateful, self centered and think they're god's gift to the sport, or just act like dicks on a consistent basis...I see no problem with not supporting someone if you don't believe in what they are representing. I've personally done this, as in not purchased something becuase I did not respect the way someone represented themselves. There are other people out there who would be grateful for my business, and on the same line, others I respect a hell of a lot more--why give my money to someone who doesn't deserve or appreciate it?

I should add that it's quite rare for me to do that, but there have been a few select instances where I decided to take my business elsewhere.

to some it's lame, to others it's a personal principle. It's easy enough to find something else to support. The thing is, as far as sponsorships go, riders are representing a product. I think that for the most part, there's a reasonably wide tolerance. But it's important to remember that you're representing a brand and a company, and people pay attention to that...

(Message edited by electricsnow on December 15, 2007)
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-15-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
ive never really met a pro or come into contact with anybody high up on the "Wake Chain" but they all seem like cool guys to me? all the videos ive seen, all the pros look like there having a ton of fun, and just messing around all the time, but are some of them really that self centred? im not trying to call anyone out, but ive never really heard of any rider being a sell out, or anything like that....
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-15-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
don't they say that the number one mistake the beginers make when buying a board, is that they buy the more expensive pro board because they like the rider? but just because they love the rider representing it dosn't mean its the best board for them. .. so couldn't this be like an opposite case mistake?

I don't know, I just think you could end up passing up the right board for you just because you don't like the pro that rides it...but I also agree with what was said above about the reason why matters (riding style or other)...if the person wasn't pro, but just someone else at the lake that you diss like riding that same board would you still care the same, to the point where you wouldn't buy it?
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-16-2007, 1:39 AM Reply   
...If you disagree with someone's philosophy yet support their product, you project yourself as being supportive of them and the way they carry themselves.

I wish things didn't operate this way, but just think about boat sales: boat sales are COMPLETELY tied to appearance and connection to a "group" - 99% of high-end boat buyers buy completely for the image. Wakeboards, though not as extreme, are very similar to boat sales: the majority of wakeboards are sold because they project you as something or a certain type of rider - a rider, riding style, or life style you aspire to. You may not want to admit to it, but it's true for many of you. Conversely, if you had a true disagreement with the way a rider operated, you would NOT want to project yourself as such.

It's not a "stupid grudge" if it's a true disagreement with someone's code of conduct Mitch - it's how you represent yourself to a world that, sadly, bases everything on generalizations and judgements. To some, this doesn't really matter, but to others, there would ethically be a clash of interests in supporting a certain product endorsed by a certain rider. Not to mention indirectly supporting someone who you disagree with.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-16-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
i sometimes buy things even though i don't care for the company or its rep, but i can definitely see the point. if there are other boards out there that you would like to ride just as much as this one, then buy one of them instead. but if that truly is the board for you and best for your riding style, i'd get that board. putting money in the pocket of someone you don't like i think should come secondary to your personal happiness with the product you get.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-16-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
Mitch... For me it not liking a rider usually comes down to what they do off the water. That is as elaborate as I will get on that. I certainly wouldn't call any dislike I have a grudge either. As for if it were the best board I had ever rode Yes I would still not buy it.(in my example it is not the best board I have rode just a good one)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-17-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
Projecting support? It's a little early to be breaking out Rocky IV quotes but "I fight for me! For me!" I don't even know who these people are. I know that Parks has a brother who also rides (Shane?) and Shapiro could do that wicked cool speedball move. Oh, and I think one of the two aforementioned brothers is the one in the infant water ski video. That's about it. I ride the best board I can find for the money and if the guy it's named after is a total d-bag, I could care less. I wouldn't even know.

You have an OJ Simpson wakeboard called the Juice 141 that rides better than any board out there? Cool, I'm in for one. Maybe whoever rides the Absolute Platinum can go all Michael Vick on us so all you yahoos can boycott his product and I can get a great board dirt cheap.

It's up to you. Buy what you want. But it won't stop me from thinking you're being more than a bit silly when it comes to not buying perfectly good equipment just because of the name on the board.