Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    bross            06-10-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
How is the wake for boarding? Does the TAPS system actually work? I just looked at the boats and they are sweet. Anybody own one?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-10-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Brian, I dont own one but have driven one and it is a real solid boat. We took it out on some very rough and windy conditions and it held very well. The wake on it is quite big even unweighted, I was impressed. Check out this picture that I posted a while back, http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/170052.html?1084842980#POST351483 Their are a few other posts about the 24V too on that thread.
And yes the TAPS system does work, it helps shape the wake especially with ballast.
Old    bross            06-11-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Will someone please give me some information! I am curious about buying a new boat and the Tige 24V is one of my top choices. How is the wake? Does it compare with the Mastercraft X30 or the SAN? Help. Someone out there has to have a Tige and can give me their opinon on the TAPS system and the boat in general
Old    mikep            06-11-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
I already posted on your last thread, but I'll try to be more detailed since you are fiending for information.

The wake is very nice, very firm and has a good mix between steep and rampy. Generally, if you put more than 2000 pounds in it you are going to run the TAPS at one. With this configuration the wake is not as steep as the Super Air, but not as rampy as say a Malibu without the wedge. I haven't ridden behind the X30, but if it's anything like the X10, then the X30 would be more rampy and less steep than the 24V. I've heard Keith Lyman puts up to 4000 pounds in his 24V and the wake is ridiculous. Of course putting that much weight in your boat is also probably ridiculous. I rode with about 2000 pounds and the wake was killer. Honestly I don't see any way you could be disappointed with this wake.

If you are comparing the SAN to the 24V as far as space you are comparing a Cooper Mini with a Suburban. The 24V has so much room, even more perhaps than the X30. Do yourself a favor and just head to the Tige' dealer and test drive and ride behind one. If you weight the boat just weight it evenly front and back and put the TAPS down. The one I rode in had a 375 HP engine, but I think that's a pretty sizeable upgrade. You'll probably want to go with at least the 335 HP Vortec though.

As a side note I have a 22V and think the wake is one of the best I've ever ridden behind. It's very similar to a Super Air, but not quite as an abrupt transition -- still very steep though. I weight my boat with 2200 pounds in sacks and lead. It doesn't have as much room as the 24V, but the wake is steeper in my opinion.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Brain,

Boats have been hashed out over and over on this board. Do a search on the 24V and see what you come up with. Being that it is a fairly new model, only being out about a year, not a ton of people have been behind it or even in one on the water. As far as TAPS....it has been talked to death.

To make a long story short, if you are serious about buying a boat. Meaning you are going to buy one in the next month, narrow your choices to 3. Search this board for a few people that have said boat(s) and e-mail them asking if they would mind talking about their boat a bit. Usually people love to talk about their boat. Pick their brain about everything they love and things that they settled on to make their choice.

Then find the local dealer(Taylor's for the Tige and Nautique, Utah Watersports for the Mastercraft) and talk with Jim at Taylor's and Eric at UWS and have them do an on the water test. I am sure both of them will be happy to meet you at your lake of choice and you can demo the boats within an hour of each other. It should make your decision much easier.

Jim can tell you everything you want to know about the SAN and 24V. Eric will also have everything you want to know about the X-30. They are both stand up guys and don't get into the bashing of the other brand. Just the reasons why they think their product is better.

Anyway, just one mans opinion.

E.J.

(Message edited by Deuce on June 11, 2004)
Old    bross            06-11-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thanks guys
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   
Porter's right. Go to the dealer and test drive one. The SAN is small- not a fair comparison. I own an 01 21V- I looked at Mastercraft and Malibu and the Tige won because the wake was good, the layout of the boat was great and the "Fit and Finish" blew the others away. I have not had a single issue with the boat other than a loose wire on one of the speedos. If you're looking at a new one- the wake, performance and construction is FAR superior to every other boat out there. Have fun.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
Also on your question about the Rider's Edition and the Limited, the graphics are more subdued with the Limited, the color schemes are more neutral and the interiors are slightly different. The seat and back cushions in the Rider's are made up of more, but smaller pieces. I was told this is done in the event that you cut a cushion with a fin, etc. It's easier to fix or replace and less expensive. The hulls are the same and for the most part so is the cost.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
I read somewhere where on of the pros, I think it was Nick Weinacker said that it has one of the best stock ballast wakes around and gets better with more weight, that being said Weinacker chose a 22i, it could have been Lyman seeing as how he has a 24V
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
We have a 22V and rode behind the Live2Ride 24V and was very impressed with the wake. With just the stock ballast it was a little bigger than our wake, same width and seemed to have a little better "pop". What AMAZED me is how much MORE storage there is in a 24V, and our 22V has tons of storage room.

Our next boat will be a 24V
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
I agree with you Bill. I was in Charlie's boat and it made mine feel small. Never thought I would say that. How about that 375 Vortech? That engine is pretty awesome as well. With 2 feet more, it felt like it handled just as good as the 22V. Very nice boat.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-13-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
Weighted the wake keeps getting bigger and bigger. There is a reason every team rider owns this boat. Lyman is running 4600 lbs and riding at 95 feet. The wake is so huge it's stupid.
Old    bross            06-14-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Anybody have any pictures in regard to the wakeboarding wake versus the ski wake?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
The ski wake is going to be bigger than you want on any V-drive
Old    blr            06-19-2004, 12:13 AM Reply   
I have a 24V and the wake is awesome. here is a pic of the wake unweighted (sorry for the distance but you can get a feel for at least the size and how clean it is) let me know if you have any questions. ill be happy to help if i can.
24v wake