Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Here's my problem.

I changed my prop a couple weeks ago with no problems - went from an oj 14 x 18 to an OJ 14.25 x 14. When pulling the 14 x 18 the acme prop puller that I used fit through the blades of the prop fine and straight on to the end of the shaft, and the prop popped off with very little pressure.

I am trying to go back to the old prop for this coming weekend in order to save the new prop from getting dinged up due to the shall water of the lake we are going to.

With the new 14.25 x 14, the prop puller doesn't fit straight onto the end of the shaft due to the size and pitch of the blades. It does go on enough to tighten it down, but it is a little slanted. I applied a significant amount of pressure to the puller, but the prop won't pop loose. I also took a hammer to the back of the prop puller, but it still didn't pop off.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
If it is at an angle (slanted) but still makes good contact with the front of the shaft and the back of the prop (flush with the backside of the prop) then it should work. If the puller doesn't make good contact with the back of the prop (if there is any space between the puller and the prop) then you need to find another puller.

As far as tips go, try spraying some Corrosion Block on the backside of the prop and let it sit overnight. The ultra-thin lubricant will get down the shaft and help lubricate it when you pull the prop. Also, don't bang the prop puller with a hammer, it's the wrong type of force. You need to use a cheater bar (long pipe) to add leverage to the wrench you are using to spin the nut on the puller. It should pop right off if you do these things.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
If the above advice doesnt work, you can heat the prop hub with a blowtorch to make it expand. Just be carefull to to get the shaft too hot and melt the cutlass bearing.

DKJ
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-10-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Actually you're supposed to hit the back of the puller with a hammer since the shaft is tapered, the vibration helps move the prop off. And ALWAYS coat the shaft and inside the hub of the prop with anti-seige compound... it allows it to come off easier next time.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 5:50 AM Reply   
I use the Harmonic Puller that fits only on the threaded part. Wack it hard with a hammer and the prop vibrates off. No crawling under the boat.