Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2012, 3:02 AM Reply   
So when I used to run in the RZ2 or 24Ve, I just mounted the gopro on the gunwale next to the sundeck and it worked well, very good angle to view the wake and I could reach over and stop and start the gopro as the rider got up and fell. Every once in a while I would forget to start or stop, but rare. So the Z3, the video in the same place, doesn't look as good. The reason is the boat doesn't list over much and is so deep that the camera is much higher from the water, its easy to see from all of our pics I get a lot of the sundeck in the picture.

So I started mounting the gopro all the way behind the sundeck, not on the back transom, but close:

The video is great, but its a pain in the butt to start and stop the camera. So I just put in a 32GB card and start it when we surf, and stop it later, sometimes I stop it if we swim or something, but it basically just RUNS. We do this at contests also, and get a lot of footage of nothing wtih surfing in between.

I couldn't wait for the wifi backpack, not for contests, but every day to start and stop the camera. I have had nothing but issues, and it hasn't been reliable.

So instead I googled for software to easily and quickly mark in and out points and split gopro files to numbered segments. I tried like 10 pieces of software, and most are VERY hokey. The other problem is that they are destructive. When you make a photocopy, you lose a bit of quality, and all of these pieces of software reencode the files, which takes a long time and is destructive. Even Final Cut Pro will reencode, and unless I output as raw will be destructive, and raw is HUGE. Defeats the purpose of saving space.

There are easy ways of copying the streams out of a gopro (mp4) file, but no nice interface to find and mark your in and out points.

So I wrote a piece of software to do it, and was wondering if this was an issue that others have and could use it. Right now it works great for me, but isn't so pretty, has no documentation, doesn't check for every possible dumb thing a user could do, etc. Before I spend all that time and then put up online for a few bucks, I was wondering if others could use it.